Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Adaptive LEDs in G20 - how good is their functionality?

11-02-2019, 04:27 AM   #1
drykoke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 408 1.2GT

Adaptive LEDs in G20 - how good is their functionality?

I'm planning to get a 330e after seeing all the very positive reviews here.
But am wondering about the standard adaptive LEDs which seem more limited in function than the very expensive Visibility Pack option.

Currently I have all-singing, all-dancing adaptive Xenons with High Beam Assist and Selective Beam etc. (a great set-up for the darkest Norfolk country lanes because the passenger side can be on high beam all the time).

Would like to hear experiences of G20 owners, now that the winter nights have set in and people have spent more time with the standard adaptive LEDs.

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 07:34 AM   #2
DomiGijzen
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport High Exec (G08)

I live in a town with dark surroundings too. Adaptive led does the job perfect. Follows corners pro active and depending on your steering. Also, auto high beam is very useful. I drive some long straight roads and the led do reach a very long way.
Also the corner lights, which aim at a 90 degree angels in corners are helpful to see next to the road.

In the past, I used fog lights very often, No need anymore in normal conditions. And even with fog, the leds do perfect.

What is also nice, they are there and do work a lot. But unless you're paying attention, you won't notice it.
      11-02-2019, 07:54 AM   #3
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiGijzen View Post
Also, auto high beam is very useful. I drive some long straight roads and the led do reach a very long way.
Unfortunately in the U.K. Auto High Beam (AHB) is only available as part of the visibility package which costs £1500. The package includes laser lights and AHB. I did want AHB but couldn’t justify the cost as mostly I drive in lit areas at night.
I did ask my dealer genius to check if it was a stand alone option for HBA but he told me no!

If as drykoke states he does a lot of unlit area night driving then the package is more useful.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R

Last edited by Tam the Bam; 11-04-2019 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #4
DomiGijzen
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport High Exec (G08)

Maybe ask the dealer. In my case, it was not an option conform the booklet but was an option anyway.
      11-05-2019, 04:08 AM   #5
Gregus330i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Very good, very effective, very pleased. And I'm a real critic of car headlights, which must be really good for me to be satisfied with them 👍
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #6
anthonysterling
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp, M340i, 335d, X1, 118d

I used them with HBA (High Beam Assistant) on my M340i for the first time this weke, they're pretty magical. Watching them change direction to match road direction and conditions is amazing.

To quote Arthur C. Clarke, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #7
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

The laser lights are fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 02:47 PM   #8
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Can't comment on the laser light option but the standard lights are very good. Better than the (already decent) LED ones in my old 2016 Mondeo. They still swivel around bends and alter the beam angle depending on speed/road conditions. Main beams is very bright but yeah, no HBA. Cynical marketing if you ask me... my 2011 Peugeot 508 had HBA as standard...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 02:03 PM   #9
Osxboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320d

Demos booked

I’m trying a 320D with laser lights followed by a 330e without so will post my thoughts as it’s a direct comparison within a few days of each other
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #10
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osxboy View Post
I’m trying a 320D with laser lights followed by a 330e without so will post my thoughts as it’s a direct comparison within a few days of each other
I look forward to reading your opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 04:09 PM   #11
trent_engine
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330e M Sport Pro

Picked my car up today. I specced the visibility package as I'm often driving on country roads. It's not a cheap option but I'm glad I specced it.

Even my wife commented on the 'light show' going on in front of us as the lights seemed to dance around on high beam depending on following and on-coming traffic. Had a couple people go on to main beam (I was on dipped) as they thought I was on main and they soon came off when I gave them a courteous flash! In real terms I'm sure there's not a lot of difference in headlight performance irrespective of whether you have Laser Lights or not... the headlights are just damn impressive.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:15 AM   #12
GiantPete
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Topic resurrection... and I've just joined so can't post a new topic...

Do the standard UK 'Adaptive LED Headlights' switch from main beam to dipped and back automatically according to oncoming cars or taillights ahead or do you have to toggle the switch manually every time a car appears ahead?

Currently drive a 230i with fully adaptive/selective xenon main beam masking with the camera and second stalk button. Had a 2019 520d for a courtesy car for a month in November and the lights seemed to be a big downgrade as I drive in the countryside on twisty undulating B roads, they didn't seem to do anything 'adaptive' despite having an 'A' position on the headlight rotary switch, and I had to manually dip the main beam.

I'd like to avoid the laser lights visibility pack as i'm considering a 320d touring in SE spec and keeping it under the 40k P11d price to save the extra VED for years 2-6. I think if the standard lights do automatically switch to dipped and back when a car passes the other way then that will suffice even though they lack the selective main beam masking.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 11:29 AM   #13
Osxboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320d

Short answer is no standard lights are manual high beam only. The 320D I tested with laser lights was amazing but the 330e without was still very very good. I’ll miss HBA but my 330e, on order, is without laser lights it made my company car lease stupidly expensive.

Last edited by Osxboy; 02-28-2020 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Misspelled
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 12:57 PM   #14
L2XE
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

I’ve got a 330e in My sport with the standard adaptive headlights. I picked it up in November, so a full four months of winter driving. I do a minimum of 100 miles each work day with a mix of country, A road and motorways and I can honestly say I’ve never used the high beams. The standard lights are absolutely sufficient. It’s crazy that HBA isn’t standard on a 40k car but I can’t say I’ve missed it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 04:55 PM   #15
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
I have to say my laser lights are well worth it although I agree expensive. I drive at least 30k per year on most rode types and they even activate on unlit motorways. The length of the beam is far greater than my 5 series and they even use the sat nav to look ahead at the bends in the road.

Visually I also think they look better with the DRLs and also when on side lights they have a blue tint to them. Fantastic light display in fog on a unlit road lol

I had to have one replaced recently luckily in warranty, would be 2.5k per headlight if out of warranty!!
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 02:44 AM   #16
CardinalZeus77
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.2 Carrera S

Garage List
The laser lights are great especially on dark country roads. I am quite amazed at how well they work.
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #17
fuzzmondo