E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Daft Door Locking Question

04-04-2006, 06:36 AM   #1
Redguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i SE

Garage List
2007 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Daft Door Locking Question

Hope this question is not too daft!

I have the feature switched on that the doors lock automatically when you drive off.

However, yesterday morning (only 2nd day of ownership) I was wiping the windows with the engine running. However, I kept the drivers door open in case of full lockdown!

Before I experiment and get into real doofus territory, if the car is stationary with the engine running, but with all doors closed, will this feature still lock the whole car leaving me keyless, ashamed, and cold?!!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 06:41 AM   #2
spanna2000
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 330D M Auto Individual

Garage List
I have a similar fear. The manual refers to auto locking if the doors are not opened shortly after the car is unlocked. I've never seen this work. Would this lock the car if I forget to lock it when leaving it?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 06:52 AM   #3
kickpoint
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanna2000
I have a similar fear. The manual refers to auto locking if the doors are not opened shortly after the car is unlocked. I've never seen this work. Would this lock the car if I forget to lock it when leaving it?
No. This works only if yo unlock the car and do not open the door, maybe withing 5 minutes or so. this might happen is you park the car, unlock the doors to get out, but do not open the door right away, say your on the phone. the doors will lock again. Another example is you walk out to your car, unlock it, realize you forgot your cellphone (yes my life/business revolves around this little lifesaver) and after a few minutes without openning the door, the car will relock.

In both of the examples you guys posted, you open the doors after unlocking. Once the doors are openned, they will not auto lock. they can only be locked from the fob, or from inside, so you can be assured that you will not be auto locked out.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 06:58 AM   #4
Redguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i SE

Garage List
2007 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Thanks.

How does the locking sense when you've driven off to relock itself if the feature is switched on? Is it on engine revs or something? If it is idling in the Winter, you may be de-icing for sometime with everything running, but with all doors closed.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redguy
Thanks.

How does the locking sense when you've driven off to relock itself if the feature is switched on? Is it on engine revs or something? If it is idling in the Winter, you may be de-icing for sometime with everything running, but with all doors closed.
It locks once it detects you travelling over a certain speed- around 10mph I think.

There's no chance of it locking just by revving.

Are you coming to the first UK meet at Donington, Redguy (link in my sig) ?

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2006, 12:58 AM   #6
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 320dSE

Haven't seen a detailled description of the E90 criteria for activating "Drive Away Locking", but the E46 locked at a certain speed (5 or 10 mph?) OR after short distance (100 yds or so).

The E90 appears to do something similar. It certainly locks on speed, not sure about locking on distance, but I'd be surprised if it did not.

(Edit to clarify that I was referring to Drive Away Locking)
Appreciate 0