BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Remote Park keep engine running

10-31-2019, 03:20 AM   #1
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Question Remote Park keep engine running

Having now found a need to use this feature daily for tight parking, I can seem to work out how to keep the engine running after I’ve remote moved the car out of the bay?
I’ve seen on a demo video on you tube done by carwow, whereby he moves the car out of a bay, jumps in and drives straight of. When I try this it shuts the engine off and I have to restart the car? Is it possible to do this, is there a process involving how the vehicle is unlocked? Or even coding it ?

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 03:31 AM   #2
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post
Having now found a need to use this feature daily for tight parking, I can seem to work out how to keep the engine running after I’ve remote moved the car out of the bay?
I’ve seen on a demo video on you tube done by carwow, whereby he moves the car out of a bay, jumps in and drives straight of. When I try this it shuts the engine off and I have to restart the car? Is it possible to do this, is there a process involving how the vehicle is unlocked? Or even coding it ?

Thanks guys
Its not possible as standard - and I doubt it can even be coded. Its designed to shut off engine as soon as you open the door for safety reasons.

The video on youtube was probably edited for dramatic effect, but has never been possible on the G30 - I have a 2017 with RP.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 03:48 AM   #3
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Its not possible as standard - and I doubt it can even be coded. Its designed to shut off engine as soon as you open the door for safety reasons.

The video on youtube was probably edited for dramatic effect, but has never been possible on the G30 - I have a 2017 with RP.
Ah, you could be right. Let me find that vid and rewatch it
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
I concur. It's not possible.

I normally open the door via the remote (use comfort access all other times) before moving the car. That makes the process a tiny bit faster and you can avoid awkward looks when you have to quickly get in and drive away.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 04:04 AM   #5
CoolWave911
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW G30 530i M Sport

Car will shut if there are any interruptions happened to any of the controls (accelerator, brake, steering, gear lever, etc.). How do I know? Cause I tried using remote control with someone in the vehicle just to see what are its restrictions.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      11-02-2019, 12:48 PM   #6
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post

I normally open the door via the remote (use comfort access all other times) before moving the car. That makes the process a tiny bit faster and you can avoid awkward looks when you have to quickly get in and drive away.
If you have comfort access, is there really any delay when you go to open the (locked) car? Mine unlocks as soon as I put my hand in the handle 'hole'. Unlocking it before wouldn't save me any time I don't think
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 12:57 PM   #7
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post

If you have comfort access, is there really any delay when you go to open the (locked) car? Mine unlocks as soon as I put my hand in the handle 'hole'. Unlocking it before wouldn't save me any time I don't think
In my head, engine has to shut before the door opens. I feel that process takes couple of seconds. There's a chance that it might be more my perception 🤔 but I'll check it next time.
Appreciate 0