F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Any benefit to go from ENET to ICOM A?
proTUNING Freaks

10-28-2019, 11:40 AM   #1
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

Any benefit to go from ENET to ICOM A?

Have been using my $20 ENET cable to connect ISTA+ with F30 328d. It works well and does diagnostics that I need, including function testing, reading and clearing errors, etc. I also have ESYS, but have not had guts to use it, so I resorted to Bimmercode over BT for that. But if I ever get comfortable, I may use ESYS with ENET cable.

So far, my life seems complete. I can code comfortably via BT and have done a lot of coding in Expert mode. I have diagnosed car issues with ISTA. I do not think I will ever program or update I Level with ISTA +. ICOM seems to be needed for updates and such, and ENET works well for all other things. The reading part with ENET is slow, but I get results within 2 minutes, all other functions work. Saw some videos of ICOM in action (orange label) and it seems to be kuch faster.

So my question is, does ICOM have any benefits over ENET? Even for flashing and updates, ESYS is preferred over ISTA, which works with ENET. ISTA works with ENET, so ENET seems to satisfy everything one can possibly need. So why do people buy ICOM A then?

Thank you for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 04:18 AM   #2
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Didn’t know they did.

I’m a complete neophyte and I managed to code via ESYS jsut fine.
And the couple modules I could t get in ESYS worked fine in BMWAI. And vice versa,
Saw no reason to buy a subscription program and a reader head just for bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 03:35 PM   #3
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

Icom works seamless with Ista. While you can do diagnostics with Ista and Enet cable, programing,updating is not possible.

For example if you see whats involved to update the I-levels via Esys and Enet cable, its quite a lot and you need to know what you're doing.
To do the same job with Icom and Ista, its literally a push of a button and thats it. No other input required.
Appreciate 0