Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > I thought forged wheels were tough... (MORR VS7)

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #1
eeesh2u
First Class Privates
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

I thought forged wheels were tough... (MORR VS7)

(I want to note that this tire was just mounted, any scrapes you see on the sidewall were from shipping. I don't want you to look like a jackass like ALPINE_997. See below)

This is a right rear MORR VS7. I've had a few different cast wheels, driven the same routes, and haven't seen anything quite like this. There are about 4 or 5 bends in the wheel, with two being most prominent.

I know this kind of thing happens, but the crap I've gone through with these wheels...

1) Super long misquoted wait time for them to ship (those in the VS8 GB, you know what I'm talking about too)
2) First set had all kinds of paint flaws, had to send them back on MY DIME.
3) One wheel in SECOND set was damaged during shipping, and I had to keep it and order a FIFTH wheel.
4) Fifth wheel has paint runs in it, I deal with it because I need wheels on the car. To send them back to have them repainted (instead of getting a new CORRECTLY PAINTED set to swap out) would have meant who knows what kind of downtime, and my car on stands.

So now I have a very compromised wheel. I have the extra with the gouge on the lip, and am debating replacing the bent one with it...

I guess I'm wondering if anyone else from the first batch of VS7's have had similar issues with them?

I like the design, I like the idea behind MORR wheels, I love the VS8 for a future BMW, but I've just had a bad taste in my mouth with MORR for so long, and this just reminded me of the hell I've been through...

Last edited by eeesh2u; 08-26-2008 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeesh2u View Post

This is a right rear MORR VS7. I've had a few different cast wheels, driven the same routes, and haven't seen anything quite like this. There are about 4 or 5 bends in the wheel, with two being most prominent.

I know this kind of thing happens, but the crap I've gone through with these wheels...

1) Super long misquoted wait time for them to ship (those in the VS8 GB, you know what I'm talking about too)
2) First set had all kinds of paint flaws, had to send them back on MY DIME.
3) One wheel in SECOND set was damaged during shipping, and I had to keep it and order a FIFTH wheel.
4) Fifth wheel has paint runs in it, I deal with it because I need wheels on the car. To send them back to have them repainted (instead of getting a new CORRECTLY PAINTED set to swap out) would have meant who knows what kind of downtime, and my car on stands.

So now I have a very compromised wheel. I have the extra with the gouge on the lip, and am debating replacing the bent one with it...

I guess I'm wondering if anyone else from the first batch of VS7's have had similar issues with them?

I like the design, I like the idea behind MORR wheels, I love the VS8 for a future BMW, but I've just had a bad taste in my mouth with MORR for so long, and this just reminded me of the hell I've been through...
My bending damage was worse that than..right rear as well...but I hit three potholes..different ones..and my rim ended up being cracked. I got it somewhat repaired since Carlos was out of a replacement wheel.

Worse yet is that the wifey just scraped a wheel..I hope it is this same wheel...cause if it is another one..I am gonna scream!

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
PresaMat
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 67 GT500,69 Boss 429, 335i

Garage List
Dude! ALL 4 of my VS7s got majorly bent - one had 4 cracks - they are still trying to repair it. Hopefully its repairable. Its kind of pissing me off. I was from the first batch.

Mat

Tuned E92 335, Riss Racing downpipes! And hopefully over 400RWHP!!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
eeesh2u
First Class Privates
Rep

That is wild, because you don't hear of factory cast 18-19" wheels cracking all up...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That is wild, because you don't hear of factory cast 18-19" wheels cracking all up...
That is because the factory wheels weigh 31-32 lbs each. These are 21 lbs each.

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
emjei
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW M3 Coupe

Thanks Guys .....I just made my mind...NO MORR
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
eeesh2u
First Class Privates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
That is because the factory wheels weigh 31-32 lbs each. These are 21 lbs each.
Even though these are "stronger"? I would think the playing field would at least be even.

What about some of the other high-end forged CSL style wheels?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You mean swap out all wheels..? Yeah..you could do that...but at a cost of $2000-$4000 for the set.

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
eeesh2u
First Class Privates
Rep

I meant do they seem to exhibit the same issues...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 07:49 PM   #10
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I meant do they seem to exhibit the same issues...
Whenever you get into the 18-20" wheels you are definitely prone to wheels being bent..its the price you pay to play. Yes, they all bend to a degree.

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #11
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
Hmm.. .. .. Looks like no MORR for me
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 08:16 PM   #12
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
For those of you with bent VS7's...were you all from the first batch?
      08-25-2008, 10:09 PM   #13
eeesh2u
First Class Privates
Rep

mine were...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 10:24 PM   #14
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Ive seen OEM BMW wheels get bent and cracked. It all just depends on how hard you hit the pothole and/or curb.
      08-26-2008, 07:31 AM   #15
eeesh2u
First Class Privates
Rep

I've never hit any objects in the road (I'd be crying about body damage before a wheel, which can be replaced). Never hit a curb (front of the wheels are perfect), I usually have my wife with me so I'm not driving very spirited, I mainly drive the same routes, pretty boring actually. I run 245/275 for extra sidewall and rim protection, watched my air pressure, I have really tried to take care of things for when I sell it.

I don't know why the wheel looks like that, so I posted these pics. There's no denying the history of getting these wheels either, and unfortunately more probably could have been done to make sure I had a product that was worthy of the reputation you are striving for. This is just icing on the cake right now...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 07:56 AM   #16
APLINE_997
Private
Rep
Drives: 997 Turbo

Eeesh2u - you crack me up. You didn't hit anything? Stop the crying and thinking that every forged wheel won't bend. You are hoping they do bend on bad hit like you took instead of cracking apart.

Look at your tires! They are scraped on the inside with marks all over in the inside indicating you hit a pothot of some sort or a place where the inside tires came into contact with something deep enough to rub your tires the way it did. You also bit into your inside tire on your first post as well - another indicator you hit something sharper and harder than you should have.

We have all done it. I have many forged wheels! A forged wheel with a low profile tire is not going to save your rim from a bend. WHAT ARE YOU EXPECTING?

I am not defending MORR but you seem to have it out for them. If you are not familiar with Forged wheels then don't buy them because you would be a person who would expect a lifetime warranty with no bends when that cannot exist. You also hit several holes or gone off a shoulder and then back on it again. Your tires is what I am looking at not your wheels. They can be fixed. Since they didn't crack you can fix them for less than $175 per wheel. They can true them for you as well. So problem solved.

Next time you want to BLAME forged wheels and a company like MORR don't post pics of your tires. If I didn't see those rubbing marks on the inside of your tires next to your bend and also the tear in your sidewall next to the other bend then I could perhaps buy into it.

Also next time who ever balanced your RIMS - umm don't use cheap ass weights and have them pounded into your wheels. If you take care of them like you said then have them balanced properly using correct weights not those cheap ass weights you let them use. You should be ashamed.

Edited. I have posted pics of what I am talking about.

Last edited by APLINE_997; 08-26-2008 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 08:02 AM   #17
FlagBonz
AUSTIN STRONG!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80/M3 AY

sorry to hear of your troubles.

1) do you recall a BIG HIT(s), then vibration?

2) is the wheel drivable - or does it vibrate?

3) who did your balancing - those clamp-on weights ?????

hope you can get it fixed.
      08-26-2008, 08:35 AM   #18
eeesh2u
First Class Privates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by APLINE_997 View Post
Eeesh2u - you crack me up. You didn't hit anything? Stop the crying and thinking that every forged wheel won't bend. You are hoping they do bend on bad hit like you took instead of cracking apart.

Look at your tires! They are scraped on the inside with marks all over in the inside indicating you hit a pothot of some sort or a place where the inside tires came into contact with something deep enough to rub your tires the way it did. You also bit into your inside tire on your first post as well - another indicator you hit something sharper and harder than you should have.

We have all done it. I have many forged wheels! A forged wheel with a low profile tire is not going to save your rim from a bend. WHAT ARE YOU EXPECTING?

I am not defending MORR but you seem to have it out for them. If you are not familiar with Forged wheels then don't buy them because you would be a person who would expect a lifetime warranty with no bends when that cannot exist. You also hit several holes or gone off a shoulder and then back on it again. Your tires is what I am looking at not your wheels. They can be fixed. Since they didn't crack you can fix them for less than $175 per wheel. They can true them for you as well. So problem solved.

Next time you want to BLAME forged wheels and a company like MORR don't post pics of your tires. If I didn't see those rubbing marks on the inside of your tires next to your bend and also the tear in your sidewall next to the other bend then I could perhaps buy into it.

Also next time who ever balanced your RIMS - umm don't use cheap ass weights and have them pounded into your wheels. If you take care of them like you said then have them balanced properly using correct weights not those cheap ass weights you let them use. You should be ashamed.

Edited. I have posted pics of what I am talking about.

Hey buddy, those are the tires that were JUST PUT ON. So blame UPS, or STFU.

And I have it out for MORR??? No, but I don't think there is an excuse for everything I had to go through to get 4 wheels that are "good enough" to mount. I bought five wheels, did anyone else have to do that to get a complete set BEFORE mounting them? Did yours STILL have paint runs in them?? You sound more like a fanboy for MORR than someone bringing an objective opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #19
eeesh2u
First Class Privates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagBonz View Post
sorry to hear of your troubles.

1) do you recall a BIG HIT(s), then vibration?

2) is the wheel drivable - or does it vibrate?

3) who did your balancing - those clamp-on weights ?????

hope you can get it fixed.
1) No vibrations, or I probably would have taken it in.

2) Yeah its driveable, and they said it balanced out on the machine. My old tires had plenty of tread but were starting to get noisy so I bought new ones and thats how i discovered this.

3) The first time was BMW, road-forced, this time I took it to a wheel shop because they will actually guarantee they won't damage the wheel, something most other places don't do. I didn't know how they weighted the wheel, but @ BMW they had sticky weights.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 10:04 AM   #20
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I knew that when I went to 18 or 19" wheels that the possibility of bending/cracking a wheel went way up. I have owned numerous 18 and 19" wheels in the past 7 years..most of them have bent. The probability of bending a wheel increases with the following:

1) tire pressure..if you let the tire pressure get too low..and you hit something..the likelihood of it doing damage to your wheel. It is almost exponential rather than arithmetic..as the pressure goes down.

2) where you drive - if you live in an area with a lot of potholes and pavement variations..then 18-20" wheels are not suited for you.

3) If you cant afford to replace or repair...dont buy expensive..big rims that have very low profile tires..unless it is solely a dedicated show car.

4) If you plan on taking the car on track...do NOT use big 19-20" rims...get another set of less expensive lightweight wheels for track use. (I bought SSR Comp-CS wheels 18X8.5)

These comments are not directed to anyone in particular..they are just me getting on the podium and spewing out drivel. :-)

Carlos makes a nice product...anyone that is involved with manfacturing and outsourcing parts of that manufacturing has issues with subcontractors. Carlos did well by me. The only thing I wish he had was a spare 19X9.5" Morr VS7 in the original color that I could buy. Carlos..make one for me man...thanks.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 11:04 AM   #21
eeesh2u
First Class Privates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
anyone that is involved with manfacturing and outsourcing parts of that manufacturing has issues with subcontractors. Carlos did well by me.
You're absolutely right. And when my subcontractors screw up, I take care of the problem. I take the blame, and I make it right. Carlos failed to make it right. There is no denying his QA was piss poor when he started shipping these wheels. I kept my mouth shut and handle the initial problems privately to give him a chance to make it right.

Quote:
The only thing I wish he had was a spare 19X9.5" Morr VS7 in the original color that I could buy. Carlos..make one for me man...thanks.
If I can secure an 18" set of BMW wheels with fresh rubber, you're more than welcome to take these wheels off of my hands. I'd rather purge myself of the baggage thats come along with owning these wheels. Too bad, because as I've said before, I really like the designs, and want to buy VS8 for the next BMW. But as of right now I don't have confidence in the company and the product. And thats been with giving him the benefit of the doubt.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 11:13 AM   #22
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You're absolutely right. And when my subcontractors screw up, I take care of the problem. I take the blame, and I make it right. Carlos failed to make it right. There is no denying his QA was piss poor when he started shipping these wheels. I kept my mouth shut and handle the initial problems privately to give him a chance to make it right.

If I can secure an 18" set of BMW wheels with fresh rubber, you're more than welcome to take these wheels off of my hands. I'd rather purge myself of the baggage thats come along with owning these wheels. Too bad, because as I've said before, I really like the designs, and want to buy VS8 for the next BMW. But as of right now I don't have confidence in the company and the product. And thats been with giving him the benefit of the doubt.
I can tell this issue is pretty sensitive to you right now. I dont blame you for being upset. Reputation is all these vendors have..I too dealt quietly with Carlos on an issue I had. I love the style of the wheels...I am just bummed I cannot get another one. If you end up getting rid of yours..I might consider buying one of the decent rear ones. Good luck man.

Appreciate 0