E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > VCG changed, now have parasitic drain on battery

10-07-2019, 08:30 AM   #1
Red_Tears
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

VCG changed, now have parasitic drain on battery

Changed my VCG over the weekend as well as the OFHG, now I continue to get dash display cutoff errors in my KOMBI module, and low battery charge light on the dash. The coolant temp sensor is stuck showing the car is overheating, running my WP in overdrive and kicking the fan into it's max setting. My current hypothesis is that sensor is now grounded out, however I don't understand how that would discharge my battery once the car has shut off, unless in "sleep" mode those sensors are still powered?

If any of you have other ideas, happy to learn.

Also, I changed the oil while I was at it (obviously) and now I have crazy loud lifter tick, changed it with Castrol 5w-40 full synthetic, rated for BMW LL-01. Any advice here would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

-R
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 08:47 AM   #2
pwner4once
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Coupe / 07

I had a similar experience when I replaced my VCG / OFHG as well.
I disconnected the neg terminal before the job.
Afterwards, I had to keep jumping the battery to start car started.

Turns out the battery was just on its way out (1yr battery AGM autozone...)

For your issues, the lifter tick kicks in when my car haven't been driven in a while.

The coolant temp sensor... what happens when you unplug it?
If a default mapping kicks in and the car runs fine, then it confirms your hypothesis. Otherwise, it's something else.
Appreciate 0