E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Windshield Replacement

10-07-2019, 08:29 AM   #1
FlyingBuckeye3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 335xi

Windshield Replacement

About a year ago I hit a pothole that cracked my front windshield (most people don't believe me, but Safelite confirmed it was a stress crack). I had the windshield replaced and since, have noticed the automatic function on the wipers isn't working the same way. Sometimes hardly any rain will be on the windshield when the wipers are activated, other times I can barely see anything before they wipe. I pulled codes and get A670, the misting sensor error. I don't believe the shop used a new sensor when installing the new windshield, so is it possible to use the old sensor and get it working properly? I know most recommend a new sensor with a new windshield. If it's possible to reuse it, I may try to remove the sensor and reinstall it. It's not incredibly bothersome, would just be nice to have it working properly and a couple less codes when I scan my car.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 07:47 PM   #2
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Sorry, but you should have complained to the glass shop last year. If it was covered by insurance, complain to the insurance company, that is if the glass people won't deal with you.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

There is a way to re-calibrate it using INPA I believe. You don't always need a new sensor when installing a new windshield, mine was used and works fine after a new windshield.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBuckeye3 View Post
About a year ago I hit a pothole that cracked my front windshield (most people don't believe me, but Safelite confirmed it was a stress crack). I had the windshield replaced and since, have noticed the automatic function on the wipers isn't working the same way. Sometimes hardly any rain will be on the windshield when the wipers are activated, other times I can barely see anything before they wipe. I pulled codes and get A670, the misting sensor error. I don't believe the shop used a new sensor when installing the new windshield, so is it possible to use the old sensor and get it working properly? I know most recommend a new sensor with a new windshield. If it's possible to reuse it, I may try to remove the sensor and reinstall it. It's not incredibly bothersome, would just be nice to have it working properly and a couple less codes when I scan my car.

Thanks!
I bought my car and it already had a replaced windshield. From the looks of it the old sensor and adhesive were reused. The automatic wipers never worked until I discovered that they need to be re-initialized. INPA has an option to do this, I just don't remember exactly what steps. Something along the lines of BODY -> Rain Sensor AIC -> Initialize Sensor. In my case it worked perfectly at the time, but then a few months later when it was raining again the wipers didn't seem as sensitive and weren't wiping soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 06:30 PM   #5
Explorerlyon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 986 Acura TL-SHAWD BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBuckeye3 View Post
I pulled codes and get A670, the misting sensor error.
I "think" that is the fogging sensor. The sensor for the wipers is separate. See this thread:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1486411
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 01:55 PM   #6
FlyingBuckeye3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinstockman View Post
Sorry, but you should have complained to the glass shop last year. If it was covered by insurance, complain to the insurance company, that is if the glass people won't deal with you.
I didn't really notice the difference right away, and by the time I scanned for codes, it was months later. It's not crucial as the automatic sensing function still works, just not as consistently as I would like at all times. I'll try using INPA to calibrate it.
Appreciate 0