E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 N54 6AT trouble shifting into 4th gear when NOT on throttle

10-06-2019, 07:51 PM   #1
Nero10578
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E90 335i M-Sport, N54

E90 N54 6AT trouble shifting into 4th gear when NOT on throttle

Hey guys, looks like I have MORE weird problems with my car. Now my transmission has always been a bit clunky since I got the car, so I have done a fluid and filter change about 4K miles ago and also installed XHP Stage 3 which massively helped the transmission shift smoother and better.

Although I have always felt that when shifting from 3rd to 4th the trans is just a smidge slower than shifting into other gears but was still pretty fast especially with xhp.

Then now recently it sometimes seems to have issues shifting into 4th but only when I'm not on throttle, sometimes the revs would drop and its on neutral for a good second before jerking and going into 4th and sometimes it wouldn't go into 4th at all and I have to up or downshift to get it into gear again. When I do WOT or just light throttle it would shift just fine into 4th and downshifting is all good. And it seems to always shift fine on D or DS, so it only happens on M mode shifting from 3rd to 4th. One time it didn't go into 4th and kept trying till it failed and dropped to 3rd with a transmission malfunction error which never happened before.

I tried to search for someone with the same issue but mostly people have issues going into 5th not 4th and I saw issues could be the mechatronic sleeve seal or the solenoids but I'm not too sure so any advice would be appreciated. Right now I just avoid shifting into 4th when off throttle.
2010 LCI E90 335i M-Sport | Unknown Stage 1 Hybrid Turbos from Prev. Owner | 5" G-Plus stepped Intercooler | VRSF CP | K&N Drop-In | NGK 97506 0.020" | Eldor Coils | N20 3.5bar TMAP | Wedge Custom Tune | XHP Stage 3 | M3 Control Arms | Federal 595RS-Pro 255/35/18 275/35/18
Appreciate 0