BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-03-2019, 10:21 PM   #1
emma2018
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

1st Time Living in the Snow

Hey all!

I recently moved in the PNW and haven't decided yet if I'll be staying long term. In the meantime, I would like to take advantage of the snow since it's as short as a 35 minute drive from Seattle. I have a 2018 M40i with 21" wheels on summer tires which is all I needed when I lived in California.

Would I be able to get away driving the summer tires and carrying cables/chains if needed? Or is it necessary I get a new set of wheels with winter tires on?

Go easy on me, I'm a noob!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 11:57 PM   #2
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma2018 View Post
Hey all!

I recently moved in the PNW and haven't decided yet if I'll be staying long term. In the meantime, I would like to take advantage of the snow since it's as short as a 35 minute drive from Seattle. I have a 2018 M40i with 21" wheels on summer tires which is all I needed when I lived in California.

Would I be able to get away driving the summer tires and carrying cables/chains if needed? Or is it necessary I get a new set of wheels with winter tires on?

All seasons are going to be good enough with 4wd. They do a good job maintaining roads up to ski resorts. Even if it gets really bad just keep a set of chains in the trunk. And i mean not literal chains, there are some options that dont damage wheels. For record, i once drove my M3 up to Crystal Mountains on summer tires, was not the smartest thing i have done in my life but im here writing this message lol
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 12:05 AM   #3
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

The "glass transition" begins at about 40 degrees, meaning your summer performance tires will behave like hockey pucks at that temperature or below. Protect yourself and your investment with some dedicated winter tires. Note: Seattle gets more ice than snow so a good ice tire would be preferred. Plus, people don't drive that great in Seattle in the winter, stay home if it's really icy or the roads are snow covered.

To the Seattle people: No offense!

Note: Research glass transition and tires. Tire Rack will be helpful.

Last edited by ContactPatch; 10-04-2019 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      10-04-2019, 05:54 AM   #4
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
If it were me I would put all season tires on and avoid chains or cables. The extra hardware is a pain to install and remove and can damage the vehicle if not properly installed or if they fail. I have driven in snow and ice for 40 years.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 07:02 AM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Hey all!

Welcome to snow! Summer tires are absolutely incapable on snow/ice. They will hold the car up off the ground...not much more value than that. Also, as noted before, even without snow/ice, they do indeed turn hockey-puck hard below 40 degrees, and if so exposed, the compound can crack, which Michelin specifically excludes from warranty coverage. Seattle winter mornings are in the 30s....no go for Summer tires. In short....no, you cannot get away with Summer tires.

So, what to do? If you were going to remain in a low snow (5"/year) city, such as Seattle, you could probably do well with either a set of dedicated winter tires, in your case, probably the "performance winter" variant (Blizzak LM or Michelin Alpin), or try the new Michelin CrossClimate+ all weather tire (different from all season), noting that it carries the snowflake symbol. If you're going into snow covered mountains for skiing etc., true winter tires (Blizzak WS or Michelin XIce xi3) are advised. Read this for more information:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=231

Again, the one thing not to do is rely on Summer tires in winter. For ease, keep in mind, some tirerack.com installers will store your off-season set of tires. You just roll in for quick swap....unbolt one set, bolt on the other....like a "pitstop".
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2019, 08:44 AM   #6
gordoma
Rep
Drives: 2019 M40i

Experienced Winter Driver

New England has a wide variety of winter driving conditions. I've had numerous cars, trucks and SUVs. As a skier, I look to drive in Winter storms.
Here in the NE, snow isn't the worst surface. What's really tricky are the variable conditions where road surface ranges from, almost dry black ice, to slush, packed snow, freezing rain.

First of all, 21" wheels with low-profile AS tires are going to be abysmal for winter driving. The biggest problem is they'll be completely unpredictable. If you had narrow tire/wheels, and some skill, you might get away with AS tires for limited winter use but, not 21" 275s.

As many other's point out, winter tires have a much softer compound that's designed for slippery, wet conditions. This is probably more important than the aggressive tread.

Winter conditions are hell on wheels (and brakes). Cold temperatures and salt wreck havoc. It won't take long to pit your 21" rims. And, don;t forget to wash you brakes often with soap to get the salt off (I usually stop at a self-serve car wash at the end of each winter drive).

If you want to drive in winter conditions get a set of 18" (yes they fit) or 19" low-cost wheels and mount them with proper snow tires. It won't take long for the ROI. If you leave for non-snowy areas then, you can sell them on CL easily.

Another option, if you only plan on skiing a few times a year and, otherwise don't plan on driving in winter conditions it to rent a zip car for skiing.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4696.00
      10-05-2019, 05:31 PM   #7
DETSGTSTARSKY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Hey all!

Would you go hiking in the snow with dress shoes on? You will need proper winter tires. It is best to get a wheel and tire package from Tire Rack, Discount Tire, 1010Tires. Then you can bolt on the package when encountering under 45 degree temps.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4696.00
      10-05-2019, 07:18 PM   #8
IM_ALL_IN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Agree with others when they say summer tires are a no go. I purchased an alternate set of 20" winters(695) last year and they were great. Having two sets makes it super convenient and there's no chance of the dealer jacking my rims up.Temps are beginning to flirt with 40 here and I'm looking forward to putting the 695's back on. Get new tires at a minimum and another set of wheels if the cash is available...nothing worse than a fully capable winter vehicle being crippled by the wrong tires.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4696.00
      10-07-2019, 02:17 AM   #9
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Hey all!

I live in the PNW. PLEASE TRUST ME. You want winters. The salient points have already been made, take this as confirmation. I'm about to order my winters any day now.
Appreciate 0