F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Do I need to update DME/EGS? How to check?
Studio RSR

10-02-2019, 06:13 PM   #1
outofphase
dad bod
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive

Do I need to update DME/EGS? How to check?

Hey folks, having some transmission issues lately and from what little I've been able to find, the common suggestion over on the bootmod3 fb group is to update the DME and/or EGS.

I am a total coding FOOL other than messing around with bimmercode -- is there any way to check my current DME and EGS versions and determine if I need to update them? If so, how?

Here's what I've done so far (I believe the problem lies within here somehow)

Jan 2019: Bought the car. Immediately coded 2TB with bimmercode. Very noticeable improvement with shift speed.

February 2019: Went FBO and stage 2 with BM3. Started to notice sluggish shifts, but didn't think much of it.

March-May 2019: Slowly completed custom E30 tune with Cary Jordan. Noticed that the transmission seemed to shift normally when running his map, and would get slow again when on OTS map.

June-July 2019: Transmission seemed to very gradually be getting slower/jerkier, regardless of which map I was on. Flashed the BM3 TCU map and noticed a slight improvement, but still overall sluggish. Went and had transmission fluid changed at the dealership. No discernible difference.

September 2019: Upgraded HPFP to XDI-60 and installed the flex-fuel kit from Fuel-It! Also, bit the bullet and bought XHP. Removed BM3's TCU flash, flashed XHP, transmission still sluggish. Got a transmission overheating warning and a couple codes:

48068C (DSC) transfer case - clutch temporarily shut down, possibly overheating. BMW fault code lookup says, "Clutch control temporarily reduced by transfer case control unit. This measure avoids the clutch overheating. There may be customer complaints concerning the all-wheel control (traction). No repair measures required (self-healing in same ignition cycle possible)."

440117 LMV_FR No description available. BMW fault code lookup says, "Possible fault causes:
- Excessive thermal load on the clutch of the transfer-case servomotor.
- Excessively high thermal load of the transfer-case servomotor.
- Excessive delay in starting procedure.

And here I am. Drove the car hard while monitoring gearbox temp and it never went over 195F. Think this could be related to the initial coding of 2TB? Should I update the DME and/or EGS? If so, how would I start?

Any help would be awesome. Thanks yall. Vehicle info is in my signature.

Appreciate 0