E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Explain door mirror options, please

09-29-2019, 03:35 PM   #1
GTwice
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4 3.0si / F87 M2

Explain door mirror options, please

Can anyone explain to me how do the various mirror options on E92 work? I have a 2011 335is, which came pretty much fully loaded as standard. I have options:
S430A Interior outside mirror with auto dip
S431A Interior mirror with automatic dip
S459A Seat adjuster electric with memory

Plus, there is a note on realoem somewhere, that "Special option SA 430 contains SA 313" S313A is "Fold-in outside mirror".

I need to buy both door mirrors (both were damaged and previous owner replaced them with pre-lci mirrors). I understand I should be looking for 3-pin ones, with auto-dimming and folding options, but I have some doubts:
- are all 3-pin mirrors electrically folding?
- are all auto-dimming mirrors also electrically folding?
- my car actually has 5 wires going into the plug? Why? Are two of them unused?
- if the mirror is electrically folding but not auto-dimming, can the glass be simply replaced and connected to get a fully optioned mirror?

I tried solving that through realoem, but it's traditionally very confusing when it comes to mirrors. I'm seeing multiple part numbers with seemingly same options, see for yourself:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_7659
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_7661

Can anyone help?

Last edited by GTwice; 09-30-2019 at 12:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 12:56 AM   #2
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

1. no
2. yes, except m3
3. may be you car had door replaced and they are with wiring from 5-pin mirror donor car
4. no
what connector in mirror side you have right now ?
      10-28-2019, 02:21 AM   #3
GTwice
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4 3.0si / F87 M2

Problem solved - I bought a pair of 3-pin, power folding and dimming mirrors, plugged them and everything works.

But, for the mystery of 5-cables going into my plug - I checked the passenger side, and there are only 3. There is a chance you are right, ptpending - seems like this part of the wiring (between window/mirror switch and mirror) is from 5-pin car. But why? No idea, no record of the door being replaced or damaged, but who knows.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 02:18 PM   #4
BlueBimmer99
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E93 328i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwice View Post
Problem solved - I bought a pair of 3-pin, power folding and dimming mirrors, plugged them and everything works.

But, for the mystery of 5-cables going into my plug - I checked the passenger side, and there are only 3. There is a chance you are right, ptpending - seems like this part of the wiring (between window/mirror switch and mirror) is from 5-pin car. But why? No idea, no record of the door being replaced or damaged, but who knows.
Can you tell me the P/N you used? I am having the same confusing problem with RealOEM. Thanks!
Appreciate 0