E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > MSD80 to MSD81 Upgrade

09-26-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
AlexG123
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E70 X5, BMW 335i E90 335i

Question MSD80 to MSD81 Upgrade

Hi all, my 1st post here. I was reading about the MSD80 injector driver, MOSFET failure. I plan on tuning my DME with MHD or BOOTMOD3 and wanted to update it to MSD81 before tuning. I don't want to keep fixing the MSD80 or drive it waiting for the DME failure.

Now, I don't have any tools or skills to do the job properly. At first, I was thinking about buying a used MSD81 and somehow programming it to the car but going trough many, many google hits, I realized that it is more complicated than I assumed. From what I figured out, not only the software has to be correct but there is an immobilizer code in the DME and it has to match to the car, otherwise it will not start. Then I thought to get a new one from the dealer but it is way too much money. So, I decided not to do that.

Now I'm looking for a reputable company to do the job or maybe sell me ready to go DME.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0