BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-23-2019, 04:26 PM   #1
Climb Mode
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Tires on 19’s vs 20’s

Hi guys-

Placed my order for a 2020 M40i yesterday. Love my spec except for still debating on the wheels.

I went with 19” with all seasons. I’m going back and forth on regretting that. I assume I have time to change that given the order was just placed yesterday.

It looks like the 19” All season is Bridgestone Dueler HP AS RFT. This tire gets very negative reviews, especially when it comes to winter weather. I live in an area with snowy winters and have run a separate set of winter wheels/tires on my 340 the past 3 years.

I’m debating changing up to the 20’s and getting a dedicated 19” winter set up, but I’d only do so if the “performance run flats” on the 20’s truly are a great tire and don’t need upgrading.

Other options include staying with the 19’s and just putting on a great all-season tire like the A/S 3+ or DWS06 but we know this will never be as good as a dedicated winter / summer set, but to what extent? Roads aren’t great where I am but people seem happy with 20’s. I have adaptive spec’d As well.

What tires come with all the wheel combo’s? Are the RFT on the stock 19’s that bad? Maybe the type of tire changed? Let me know. Thanks!

Past: MY2017 F30 340iXdrive 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 09:27 PM   #2
VMMVMMM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

There are a handful of tire and wheel combinations that come from the factory. I have 20's with Bridgestone Alenzas, and they seem pretty good, but with the weather here, and the fact that I’m only doing a two year lease, I’m swapping to the Michelin Pilot AS3's. Should do that sometime this week.
      09-24-2019, 07:07 AM   #3
BSquared+
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

I think you need to go with what-ever wheel style will make you happy. 19" or 20", your choice. I went with the 20" performance RFT (Bridgestone Alenza's) and think the tires are great. Stick like glue on the pavement, dry or wet and seem to wear fine. For winter, I just decided to go with the Conti DWS06 and still maintain the staggered look. So far, they're been a great tire and, again, I seem to be getting great tread life out of them.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 01:55 AM   #4
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
We have 19” wheels with Bridgestone RFTs on the X3, and 20” wheels with conventional tires on the Mercedes. Both are uncomfortable on small potholes and pavement cracks. The BMW 19” with RFTs feel dull and heavy, the Benz 20” Contis feel stiff, harsh and slappy.

Modern era wheel/tire offerings from car companies are prioritizing appearance and cost reduction (for the car company) by elimination of a spare wheel and tire, and a few tools, at the expense of comfort for most drivers. Not a great tradeoff in my view.

The 265/17s on our old 4Runner are a world apart from a comfort point of view. There needs to be a happier medium.
Appreciate 0