E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > OBD Emissions Check

09-23-2019, 09:26 AM   #1
stevem0
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 E90, F10, e70d

OBD Emissions Check

Sorry if this "exact" question has been asked before. When I search "emissions" there are a ton of results. Thanks in Advance.

I had a check engine light on about 2 weeks ago, I cleared codes and the code has never came back. I cleared the code with ISTA-D. (I think it was a cylinder misfire code, it has not came back) This is a daily driver. (Gasoline Engine, 2011 328).

I felt I had driven the car plenty since I cleared the code, driving 20ish miles/day for 2 weeks. So I decided to take it to get the emissions testing Saturday, and it failed. No check engine light on. They just visually inspect the cat is in place and connect the OBD scanner. Tennessee.

It said Monitors Not Ready: Catalyst, Evaporative System

1. Using ISTA, how can I troubleshoot? How do I run the same check in ISTA as the emissions testing?

2. How do I fix "Monitors Not Ready"? Is there a way to force this to be ready?

Thank You!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 09:32 AM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Before going in for emissions checks, I clear my codes a week or two in advance, drive normally, then check the car with the "Auto Doctor" app on my iPhone.

So far it has always been right.

Assuming your sensors are ok, the catalyst message means that you have not completed a full drive cycle... hitting the required speeds and durations for the test to complete.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
stevem0
Private
Rep

Here is the screen to check readiness
https://xoutpost.com/attachments/x5-...eenshot_35.jpg

But how do you force, or help the systems to get ready? How do you determine what is preventing them from being ready?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 02:51 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem0 View Post
Here is the screen to check readiness
https://xoutpost.com/attachments/x5-...eenshot_35.jpg
But how do you force, or help the systems to get ready? How do you determine what is preventing them from being ready?
I use INPA instead of ISTA, but I presume ISTA can do what INPA can. INPA, in "OBD Monitor Function & Readiness Flags in DME" shows status of NINE (9) different "Readiness Monitors" some of which may NOT be installed or used on your particular vehicle. Any cheap Scan Tool can also do that, per OBD II requirements. It will tell you which monitors are present on your vehicle and which one(s) are NOT in "Readiness" mode, so that is how you determine which one is preventing "Pass."

In your case, if the ONLY code that was saved in your DME was a "misfire" code (P0301 to P0306) then if you have NOT completed two drive cycles since you "Cleared" that code, your "Misfire Monitor" will NOT be in Readiness Mode.

There is NO lawful way you can reset a Readiness Monitor except by completing the requisite Drive Cycles. If there were, then Emissions Inspection stations would have to return to "Rolling Roads" and "Tailpipe Sniffers" 'cuz anyone could beat the system. Think VW Diesel Engineers & DJT

George
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 03:19 PM   #5
stevem0
Private
Rep

Yep. My college professor was the ones that busted VW.

I am not looking for an illegal anything. I think driving 20 miles roundtrip/day for 2 weeks both city and interstate would do it. Just looking for the CORRECT way to complete the drive quick. emissions guy said for me to let it idle for a long time then drive it, then let it idle. it was idling for 45 min waiting in line before the test.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 07:35 PM   #6
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

had you put fuel in it?
the evap test can only run under certain conditions.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 08:56 AM   #7
stevem0
Private
Rep

Thanks NSJames, it was about 1/4 tank. I will try it full
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 09:05 AM   #8
stevem0
Private
Rep

Here are the OBD Readiness readings in ISTA

I assume that the systems marked
"No" = not ready
and these are the ones I need to check.

All this section does is check readiness, there are no further tests for each one.

I read somewhere it will pass OBD emissions check if there are only two "No" conditions or less.

I will try this with a full tank of gas. Any other suggestions on how to attack this? This is a stock vehicle, no mod, no chip etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #9
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

IIRC the fuel level has to be between 60 and 80 percent for the evap pump test.

but that might be for a volvo.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #10
stevem0
Private
Rep

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #11
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem0 View Post
Here are the OBD Readiness readings in ISTA

I assume that the systems marked "No" = not ready
and these are the ones I need to check...

I read somewhere it will pass OBD emissions check if there are only two "No" conditions or less. [I can't imagine such a law: "5 out of 7 ain't bad" -- That's just slightly better than Meatloaf's "2 out of 3" ]...
SOMETHING is causing 5 of your 7 Readiness Monitors to read "NOT Ready." Ironically, the "Misfire" Monitor IS ready, despite the fact that you state that two weeks ago you had a "misfire" code which you cleared (do you have a record/ recollection of that code number?). That suggests ONE of the following:
A) You have other Fault Codes saved in the DME which have NOT been cleared (related to (a) tank vent, (b) O2 Sensor Signals, (c) O2 Sensor Heaters, (d) VANOS);
B) Something is preventing Monitors from resetting even though the vehicle operation you describe SHOULD have completed the requisite Drive Cycles to reset.

I would suggest doing the following, and once again, I use INPA & NOT ISTA, so I will describe how INPA works and assume you can do the same thing, perhaps by a different name, in ISTA. Do ALL this with ignition ON & engine OFF. Attach a battery charger if necessary:
1) Read Fault Memory (Fault Codes saved) in ALL Modules (Functional Jobs in INPA).
2) Connect to the DME (MSV80 in your vehicle) and Read Fault Memory for fault codes saved in the DME (Engine Control Module).
3) Save any screens showing fault codes, Fault Details, or Freeze Frame Data related to any DME fault code, and post them here.
4) With Engine OFF, CLEAR any existing fault codes (ONLY after having saved the screens described above). Even if there are NO fault codes, execute the proper procedure to CLEAR DME Fault Codes.
5) Turn the ignition OFF, wait ~ 10 seconds and then turn ignition back on. Check for any fault codes in DME Memory per (2) above.
6) Check Readiness Monitor Status as shown in the screen you have already posted; it SHOULD show NO monitors ready, due to CLEARING of codes.
7) Drive vehicle and recheck Fault Code & Monitor status; do NOT clear any codes, as that will/ should reset ALL Monitors to NOT ready status.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0