E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Limp mode when using turbo

09-14-2019, 02:27 AM   #1
Kamz119
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I

Limp mode when using turbo

Hey Guys,

Sorry if I sound silly in advanced. I’m new to cars.

Driving: BME 335i 2009

Problem: Filled up petrol, checked tyre pressure (made front 32 and rear 38), got the car valeted. Drove off and when the car hits the turbo/high revs in sports mode – it goes into limp mode and the check engine light turns on.

When I restart the car, the check engine light turns off and the car sounds and drives normal. As long, as its kept in D mode it drives fine no issues.

When in place the car into M/S (sports) and click the sports button below it (separate question why does it have a sports button and a M/S that I need to shift into sports) and then put my foot down – it drives well until the turbo is meant to come into play then goes into limp mode. Again, restarting the car ‘fixes’ it.

I called the NRMA guys, who plugged the car into the computer thing – strange thing is it found no error codes. So he searched for faults and found the following (I have no clue what the mean)

- Engine DME Motor Electronics
- ABS-DSC Dynamic control stability
- CON Controller
- CTM Convertible Top Module
- FLA High beam assist
- FRM2 Footwell Module 2
- INSTR Instrument Cluster

No garage is open till Monday.

I guess I have 2 main questions

1) What do you think is wrong?
2) Are those a lot of faults considering I got the car serviced 3 months ago

To Note: I had the car enter limp mode 1 month ago, where there was a misfire of cylinder 4. The mechanic swapped out all the coils and switches associated. It drove absolutely fine till today.

Thanks guys, sorry again if I sound stupid.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 07:04 AM   #2
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
It’s likely they aren’t using bmw specific scanner and thus the reason why no codes show up on their scanner. With no fault codes no one can really make an educated guess here.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #3
RayLivingston
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

Without specific OBD fault codes, it's impossible for anyone here to do anything but guess. But, a common cause of exactly that behavior is failing VANOS solenoids.

Regards,
Ray L.
Appreciate 0