E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Malfunction in Transmission, DSC, & Brake Light

09-11-2019, 09:46 PM   #1
BimmerMan2421
Private
Rep
Drives: E34 525i & E53 X5 & E90 328i

Malfunction in Transmission, DSC, & Brake Light

Hi everyone,

Today when I started my car, the engine cranked like normal and was idling normally, but when I was looking through my phone to play some music the car randomly shut off. Went to start it again but it would take longer than usual to start and then when it started the message Malfunction in Transmission appeared and then the DSC malfunction message came on. I was able to drive back home but I believe it was in limp mode because I was unable to accelerate quickly. After waiting for about an hour after getting home I tried to start the car again to see if the codes went away but the car is taking awhile to crank and the messages are still there.

I'm getting DBC Malfunction, DSC Malfunction, Malfunction in Transmission, Start off Assistance Inactive, and the Brake light illuminated. At one point the SES light was also on.

Has anyone ever experienced this issue before? Could it be a voltage issue? I'll attach some pictures of the messages below. Thanks in advance for your help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 10:22 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Need to know codes, read by a Scan Tool that can read DSC/ABS codes, and preferably Transmission & DME codes. What you CAN do without a Scan Tool is activate Hidden Menu 9.00 and read System Voltage with engine running, or as you drive, to see if you are getting voltage spikes with Voltage > 15.0 V:
http://e90.wikifoundry.com/page/BC+hidden+menus

George
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 03:54 PM   #3
BimmerMan2421
Private
Rep
Drives: E34 525i & E53 X5 & E90 328i

Sorry for the late response, I finally got the chance to connect my car to both ISTA-D and INPA to read the codes.

The error memory codes were:
2A94 DME: Crankshaft Sensor, Signal
581E EGS: Signal Fault, Engine Speed from engine control
5E1A DSC: Engine Management: Interface

After looking up the following codes on google I've seen that some have had the 3 exact same codes as myself and found that the crankshaft position sensor was the problem. I also saw that 2A94 is the culprit for a faulty crankshaft sensor that needs replacing so I will be ordering that part to replace and hopefully the issue will be resolved.

I'll post a video of the car starting (which currently requires an extremely long crank) and the picture of the fault codes.

I'm also unsure why ISTA-D's readout states my car's mileage is 156,992, but my car is currently at 97,552 miles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0