E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Using MHD to scan for codes? Tuning also?

09-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #1
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Question Using MHD to scan for codes? Tuning also?

I might be getting a little ahead of myself….but I picked up an 07’ 335i that needs a little work. My TorquePRO and Forscan apps that I use for pulling codes on my other vehicles doesn’t work on the 335i. After reading through the forums, it sounds like I need a BMW specific app/device with a K-Dcan OBD cable (I can’t use my Bluetooth ELM327 adapter).
So at this point, I know I’m going to need to buy something to read and reset codes and help me troubleshoot current and future issues on this car.

I also know that in the future after I get the car all lined out, I’m going to put some type of tune on it to bump the power. It seems like two of the most common are the JB4 piggyback tuner and the MHD flash app.

I know the MHD will read codes (which is what I want), but it also sounds like the tunes it comes with are as good or better than the JB4 piggback type tuner.

Any reason not to just buy the $99 MHD flash app, a K-Dcan cable, and a USB to micro usb adapter (to plug the cable into my phone) and use it to read codes…..and then in the future use it to tune the car? I’m not wanting to get crazy with a big single turbo, or anything like that. Eventually I’ll do an intake, maybe catless downpipes, and an exhaust……and that’s about as far as motor mods go.

Any info would be great.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 12:45 PM   #2
NoGuru
Major
Rep
Drives: 335is

Garage List
2021 Chevy Silverad ...  [0.00]
2002 Jeep Cherokee  [0.00]
2014 CTS  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
I might be getting a little ahead of myself….but I picked up an 07’ 335i that needs a little work. My TorquePRO and Forscan apps that I use for pulling codes on my other vehicles doesn’t work on the 335i. After reading through the forums, it sounds like I need a BMW specific app/device with a K-Dcan OBD cable (I can’t use my Bluetooth ELM327 adapter).
So at this point, I know I’m going to need to buy something to read and reset codes and help me troubleshoot current and future issues on this car.

I also know that in the future after I get the car all lined out, I’m going to put some type of tune on it to bump the power. It seems like two of the most common are the JB4 piggyback tuner and the MHD flash app.

I know the MHD will read codes (which is what I want), but it also sounds like the tunes it comes with are as good or better than the JB4 piggback type tuner.

Any reason not to just buy the $99 MHD flash app, a K-Dcan cable, and a USB to micro usb adapter (to plug the cable into my phone) and use it to read codes…..and then in the future use it to tune the car? I’m not wanting to get crazy with a big single turbo, or anything like that. Eventually I’ll do an intake, maybe catless downpipes, and an exhaust……and that’s about as far as motor mods go.

Any info would be great.
Thanks!
MHD is what you want. JB4 is a boost controller, while good at what it does, MHD is more versatile.
2011 335is DCT BQ Tuning / BMS CAI / VRSF kittyless DP's / Synapse BOV and charge pipe / 7" VRSF Race FMIC / Walbro 535 and 450 on BMP4 / E90 tune / Diff Brace / PR Coils / Relocation Inlets / DAW Stage3+ Turbos / MMP port injection / xHP Stage 3 / FPR and -6 fuel lines
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuru View Post
MHD is what you want. JB4 is a boost controller, while good at what it does, MHD is more versatile.
Just out of curiosity.....what kind of "power at the wheels" are people typically seeing with a stock N54 with cold air intake...running on 91 pump gas with the stage 1 or 1+ MHD tunes?

Just curios.....and thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #4
NoGuru
Major
Rep

Garage List
2014 CTS  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Just out of curiosity.....what kind of "power at the wheels" are people typically seeing with a stock N54 with cold air intake...running on 91 pump gas with the stage 1 or 1+ MHD tunes?

Just curios.....and thanks for the info!
Cold air is not going to net you much but Stage 1 is probably 30 HPish

I can tell you I had DCI, 5" FMIC and Down Pipes on Stage 2+ that got me to almost 400 to the wheels.
2011 335is DCT BQ Tuning / BMS CAI / VRSF kittyless DP's / Synapse BOV and charge pipe / 7" VRSF Race FMIC / Walbro 535 and 450 on BMP4 / E90 tune / Diff Brace / PR Coils / Relocation Inlets / DAW Stage3+ Turbos / MMP port injection / xHP Stage 3 / FPR and -6 fuel lines
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 02:04 PM   #5
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Cold air is not going to net you much but Stage 1 is probably 30 HPish

I can tell you I had DCI, 5" FMIC and Down Pipes on Stage 2+ that got me to almost 400 to the wheels.
Thanks!...that will give me something to shoot for.

I'm assuming that the MHD flash will take care of the check engine light you would get from the down pipes?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #6
NoGuru
Major
Rep

Garage List
2014 CTS  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks!...that will give me something to shoot for.

I'm assuming that the MHD flash will take care of the check engine light you would get from the down pipes?

Thanks again!
Yep, it does that once you select a cat less map. It also has options for the tunes such as limit boost per gear, exhaust burble and a bunch of other options.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #7
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yep, it does that once you select a cat less map. It also has options for the tunes such as limit boost per gear, exhaust burble and a bunch of other options.
How "safe" are the MHD tunes? I know with other "tuned" vehicles I've had in the past, a mild or "stage 1" type tune could still cause detonation and other issues....so you really had to keep an eye on things. Depending on who did the tune, they may put way too much timing it it and pull out way to much fuel in order to squeeze every little bit of power out. Doesn't leave much room for error.

With the MHD tunes....if you match up your mods level with the tune they suggest, is it pretty hard to mess anything up?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 02:48 PM   #8
tony55343
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe 6mt

Quote:
How "safe" are the MHD tunes? I know with other "tuned" vehicles I've had in the past, a mild or "stage 1" type tune could still cause detonation and other issues....so you really had to keep an eye on things. Depending on who did the tune, they may put way too much timing it it and pull out way to much fuel in order to squeeze every little bit of power out. Doesn't leave much room for error.

With the MHD tunes....if you match up your mods level with the tune they suggest, is it pretty hard to mess anything up?

MHD is very good, however make sure all maintenance is up to date before flashing a tune. As you put more stress, and more boost on the motor issues will be exposed quicker. Make sure spark plugs are new/recent as well as coils . Make sure fuel injectors are not leaking etc and lpfp and hpfp are operating within normal range.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #9
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony55343 View Post
MHD is very good, however make sure all maintenance is up to date before flashing a tune. As you put more stress, and more boost on the motor issues will be exposed quicker. Make sure spark plugs are new/recent as well as coils . Make sure fuel injectors are not leaking etc and lpfp and hpfp are operating within normal range.
Any way to test the lpfp and hpfp and check flow rates and pressures?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 05:48 PM   #10
NoGuru
Major
Rep

Garage List
2014 CTS  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Any way to test the lpfp and hpfp and check flow rates and pressures?
MHD
I leave it hooked up and monitor full time with it. If you do auto logging with it you can get into 3rd gear, hit the pedal and stop and the kick down or shift manually would be better and it will log the data for you through the pull.

Then you can upload to datazapme and we can help you read the logs here https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1269588

I am on a custom tune but MHD is very good at there tunes. I will stay the stage 2+ is very aggressive but if your maintenance is done, you should be good.
Appreciate 0