BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-08-2019, 05:54 AM   #1
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Driver seat movement

So there seems to be play in the drivers seat when first entering the car. But interestingly it only happens when the seat is set at various heights. At high up, no movement, at its lowest height, no movement, however anywhere in between there is movement. You can easily replicate the moment pressing firmly down on where your bum would first make contact with the seat. It only happens when entering, but when you're in the car & driving, the seat is absolutely fine. Also to note the passenger seat is fine.

The car has been in the workshop twice for this. The first time they replaced the backrest and frame. The second time they couldn't find anything to fix. So they've now suggested I meet with Mr bmw regional manager when he visits the dealer next month to see what he suggests.

Is it just me or has anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering whether it's a RHD thing?
Appreciate 1
AZM40i259.50
      09-09-2019, 02:38 AM   #2
Minty
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by london_v View Post
So there seems to be play in the drivers seat when first entering the car. But interestingly it only happens when the seat is set at various heights. At high up, no movement, at its lowest height, no movement, however anywhere in between there is movement. You can easily replicate the moment pressing firmly down on where your bum would first make contact with the seat. It only happens when entering, but when you're in the car & driving, the seat is absolutely fine. Also to note the passenger seat is fine.

The car has been in the workshop twice for this. The first time they replaced the backrest and frame. The second time they couldn't find anything to fix. So they've now suggested I meet with Mr bmw regional manager when he visits the dealer next month to see what he suggests.

Is it just me or has anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering whether it's a RHD thing?
Yes, my RHD M40i drivers seat moves ever so slightly when first jumping in. There is no movement after that.

It doesn’t bother me and I just put it down to a ‘feature’
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #3
Henrie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i (G01)

mine moves when I go over speed bumps.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 08:17 PM   #4
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Mines back in the dealer to get this fixed. Previously they replaced the backrest but the problem came back. Now they've agreed to replace the entire seat frame and are awaiting delivery from Germany. Hoping this fixes the issue once & for all
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 03:17 AM   #5
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

WHen they replaced the back rest - did the leather colour match exactly?

:-|
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 03:59 AM   #6
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post

I had the leather replaced on my F25 driver's seat and was pleased with the match. The colour was spot on, the texture a little fresher for a while. I'm quite picky about these things and I was happy. This though this was the whole seat which is less critical than doing just the back which needs to closely match the squab.
      10-10-2019, 07:35 PM   #7
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:

They will transfer the leather cover from the original backrest to the new backrest. The only new part will be the backrest frame.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 05:25 AM   #8
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 3

I have a similar problem. Slight play in driver seat after stopping the car carefully and then start driving again.

Does not happen when stopping more aggressive an the Chassis moves back and forth.

Driver seat is wiggeling more than passenger side when no one is sitting on the seats, too.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 06:13 AM   #9
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraxy View Post
I have a similar problem. Slight play in driver seat after stopping the car carefully and then start driving again.

Does not happen when stopping more aggressive an the Chassis moves back and forth.

Driver seat is wiggeling more than passenger side when no one is sitting on the seats, too.
For me, the entire seat frame was exchanged.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 10:49 AM   #10
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Since my first post I've had both driver and passenger seat frame replaced.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 07:50 AM   #11
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep

Thank you SO F*CKING MUCH. I just re-read this post after the solution displayed (since it came up in the list again) thinking "HA, I don't have that at least". You know what's coming. Got in last night, my sub-conscious primed for a fail. Jumped in the seat, click. LMFAO - something else to obsess about. Oddly though just for that moment you jump in, which I am going to live with :-)

But thanks mate ;-)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 05:43 PM   #12
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I thought I could live with the seat movement when first entering the car, and I did for a while, but it got irritating as I would always anticipate it. So that's when I got it fixed. It's not until I had to sit in the passenger seat a few weeks ago I noticed the exact same issue. So back to the dealer it went for seat frame #2 replacement.

There's obviously a QC issue with the seats and it's disappointing for a BMW that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 05:46 PM   #13
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you SO F*CKING MUCH. I just re-read this post after the solution displayed (since it came up in the list again) thinking "HA, I don't have that at least". You know what's coming. Got in last night, my sub-conscious primed for a fail. Jumped in the seat, click. LMFAO - something else to obsess about. Oddly though just for that moment you jump in, which I am going to live with :-)

But thanks mate ;-)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 08:10 PM   #14
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
I thought I could live with the seat movement when first entering the car, and I did for a while, but it got irritating as I would always anticipate it. So that's when I got it fixed. It's not until I had to sit in the passenger seat a few weeks ago I noticed the exact same issue. So back to the dealer it went for seat frame #2 replacement.

There's obviously a QC issue with the seats and it's disappointing for a BMW that's for sure.
My 2018 X3 M40i became a buyback because of this problem. I find it hard to believe that its still ongoing 3 years later.
Appreciate 1
london_v156.50
      10-21-2021, 12:28 AM   #15
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep

I'd like to re-iterate my thanks for this thread. Up until reading this a few weeks back I never noticed this. EVERY SINGLE TIME I GET IN THAT FRICKIN' SEAT I DO NOW

:-)
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 02:19 AM   #16
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:

you mean a vertical movement? Roughly how much?
cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 02:48 AM   #17
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

For me it’s both, like sagging in. Combination of backwards and down.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 03:03 AM   #18
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraxy View Post
I am now with frame number 4. One month later the same problem is back. Since only the entire frame was replaced I think it could be the electric movement control units. ….

Nice thing is passenger side started as well. Great car…
You can replicate it easily by pushing down on the seat with your hand. Did this to show the dealer when the movement appeared on the passenger seat too. It's only when my wife was driving and I got in the passenger seat and felt the movement … instant thought was FFS!

Both seats had their seat frames removed.

That's crazy that you've had it replaced 4 times! Maybe try another dealer? Definitely not ok.

As much as I like the car, it's definitely not without its QC issues. The other issue I recently fixed was a sharp rattle coming from underneath the steering wheel when driving over bumps / potholes / uneven surfaces at speed. Took the dealer ages to figure out what it was, turns out it's the tray that houses the speaker directly underneath the wheel which they removed and placed felt all around the fittings. Technician was amazed that no one else had reported this issue as even the showroom model tray was rattling!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 10:56 PM   #19
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i

weve got this too on ours but never ended up getting it replaced - didnt deem it a bit enough issue
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 10:12 PM   #20
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW

No. No movement here. My seat never moves. There's no reason. It is set for exactly where I want it and therefore it never needs adjustment. Furthermore, it never moves on its own either.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 09:47 AM   #21
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
I've posted on this in other threads… yes, I have it too (2021 X4 M40i). But only when entering the vehicle. Annoying? Yes. Deal breaker for ownership? No.

My Macan had a "whistling" noise during certain times of the year at lower RPMs… definitely noticeable. Known issue. No one ever found a remedy.

Cars, even expensive ones, have quirks from time to time. Is it right? No. But you just have to decide what's worth fighting over and tearing apart your car for (thereby potentially causing more squeaks and rattles).

I'm living with it… along with the led hot spots. Not worth losing my enjoyment of the car over. But that's just my opinion.

Carry on!

Quick edit: having said this, if it even remotely becomes noticeable during normal driving, I would definitely have BMW address it. Thus far, it only happens upon entry.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 11:29 AM   #22
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGrey View Post
I've posted on this in other threads… yes, I have it too (2021 X4 M40i). But only when entering the vehicle. Annoying? Yes. Deal breaker for ownership? No.

My Macan had a "whistling" noise during certain times of the year at lower RPMs… definitely noticeable. Known issue. No one ever found a remedy.

Cars, even expensive ones, have quirks from time to time. Is it right? No. But you just have to decide what's worth fighting over and tearing apart your car for (thereby potentially causing more squeaks and rattles).

I'm living with it… along with the led hot spots. Not worth losing my enjoyment of the car over. But that's just my opinion.

Carry on!

Quick edit: having said this, if it even remotely becomes noticeable during normal driving, I would definitely have BMW address it. Thus far, it only happens upon entry.
Thanks for your reply. I’m just curious, what is your seating position. Very low, too?
Appreciate 0