E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Noise coming from under car? 328xi

09-06-2019, 01:01 PM   #1
Myboatisslow
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Noise coming from under car? 328xi

As the title states, I’ve been having a noise coming from what sounds like either the driver and passenger front wheel wells, or just under the car in general. It is hard to pinpoint and sounds like it moves around/alternates sides on the car. I took it to a shop and they suggested that it was the steering rack (which they replaced) and the noise was still there. Also had the ball joints and tie rods replaced with an alignment, no dice. Took it to another shop and they suggested it was a noise in the brakes, so they replaced the front and rear with rotors, no dice. The noise only starts occurring after driving for a few minutes but it is quite violent.

I sincerely appreciate any advice!

Link attached and sorry for the wind noise. (2008 328xi)

https://imgur.com/a/AkdzbKr
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Your video has no sound.

That's a lot of parts to just blindly shotgun at a problem. How much have you spent chasing the noise? That steering rack alone must have been thousands... Pinpointing noises can be tricky at the best of times, but those are some wildly different theories on what's causing it. Are these shops reputable indy's or just random places?

Also, what the heck is going on with your mirror glass!? It looks like someone hacked up a mirror from the drugstore and stuck it on.
      09-06-2019, 06:33 PM   #3
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Spray the sway bar bushings with a liquidy rubber lubricant, and be sure to let them soak overnight before you test.
Appreciate 0