E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Can anyone tell me what this is?

09-03-2019, 11:44 PM   #1
bmwsami
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Question Can anyone tell me what this is?

Hey guys!

New BMW owner here. I purchased a 2007 e90 a few days ago, and the keys came with this thing. Any idea what it is? The previous owner explained saying something about you can't drive too far without it. Seemed like he wasn't too sure himself as it was setup by the owner prior to him.

Here's a picture:

View post on imgur.com

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 11:46 PM   #2
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

No picture showing my friend

EDIT: No idea, would guess maybe some kind of cheap alarm/ignition cutoff.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 12:02 AM   #3
bmwsami
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
No picture showing my friend

EDIT: No idea, would guess maybe some kind of cheap alarm/ignition cutoff.
It's an imgur link. If that is the case, do i need to have it with me at all times while driving ?

[link]https://imgur.com/m2sl5Nn[/link]
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 02:19 AM   #4
schriss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330e Plugin Hybrid

It seems like it's some kind of aftermarket alarm or anti-theft device. Maybe the purpose is to have it in pocket and then when someone grabs your actual car key and drives away, it will just shut off after few meters. An extra protection perhaps, did he live is a dodgy area?
      09-04-2019, 10:04 AM   #5
bmwsami
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schriss View Post
It seems like it's some kind of aftermarket alarm or anti-theft device. Maybe the purpose is to have it in pocket and then when someone grabs your actual car key and drives away, it will just shut off after few meters. An extra protection perhaps, did he live is a dodgy area?
Yeah he did live in a dodgy area. Is there a way to remove this system?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #6
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Test it out...what's the worst thing that could happen?
      09-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #7
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

Looks like a cheap LED flashlight. What happens when you press the button?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 11:37 AM   #8
bmwsami
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewicky View Post
Looks like a cheap LED flashlight. What happens when you press the button?
A small red light appears. I'm really starting to think its a flash light too.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 12:37 PM   #9
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Ah yes. I've seen one of these before....if I remember correctly, the prophecy stated that these were made to intrigue people concerning their origins. Glad to see it's working. I've heard that every time that button is pushed, a tiny light emanates from within. When this happens God gives a kitten unicorn aids. During this exact same moment, the light radiating from this device enables the button pusher to see the keyhole, in which to place the key, that is attached to this dooms-day device that you so presently now own.

Wield this device with great responsibility young warrior, for in the hands of evil, this device will give evil-doers sight in which to seek a keyhole to insert his key as well.

Hands down the funniest shit I've seen on the internet today. Did you really not realize this was a key chain flashlight??? It's a shame you're in Canada.....so far away. I have all kinds of shit I'd love to sell you! I have a magical, twisted, metal talisman that strikes fear into the hearts of your enemies, but it can also be used to hold various papers together. I'll sell it at a low price!

Last edited by King Rudi; 09-04-2019 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 3
Pladi718.00
      09-04-2019, 01:04 PM   #10
bmwsami
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Ah yes. I've seen one of these before....if I remember correctly, the prophecy stated that these were made to intrigue people concerning their origins. Glad to see it's working. I've heard that every time that button is pushed, a tiny light emanates from within. When this happens God gives a kitten unicorn aids. During this exact same moment, the light radiating from this device enables the button pusher to see the keyhole, in which to place the key, that is attached to this dooms-day device that you so presently now own.

Wield this device with great responsibility young warrior, for in the hands of evil, this device will give evil-doers sight in which to seek a keyhole to insert his key as well.

Hands down the funniest shit I've seen on the internet today. Did you really not realize this was a key chain flashlight??? It's a shame you're in Canada.....so far away. I have all kinds of shit I'd love to sell you! I have a magical, twisted, metal talisman that strikes fear into the hearts of your enemies, but it can also be used to hold various papers together. I'll sell it at a low price!
Im so dumb man i just realized, its because at first the button was very hard and seemed unpressable. The guy who sold me the car was convinced this was some security thing and took his word for it and didn't look into it too much.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 01:08 PM   #11
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post

lol

The cold weather doesn't just affect our cars...
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      09-04-2019, 01:29 PM   #12
schriss
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsami View Post
Im so dumb man i just realized, its because at first the button was very hard and seemed unpressable. The guy who sold me the car was convinced this was some security thing and took his word for it and didn't look into it too much.
I would take it apart just to be 100% sure, if it's just a battery and a diode inside, that settles it.
      09-04-2019, 05:08 PM   #13
bmwsami
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schriss View Post
I would take it apart just to be 100% sure, if it's just a battery and a diode inside, that settles it.
just did that, yep a flashlight indeed *facepalm*
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2019, 10:02 AM   #14
porsche959
Banned
Rep
Drives: porsche

Jesus H. Christ
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #15
schriss
Private First Class
Rep

On the positive side, at least you know it's not a spying device and nobody was recording you all this time...
      09-09-2019, 12:49 PM   #16
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsami View Post
The guy I bought my 335xi from told me it had a 3.5L V6. I asked him to "just stop" and leave me to look over the car on my own. I would literally assume anything I'm told when looking at a car is more likely the opposite, than truth.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 12:56 PM   #17
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
Does your car have comfort access? Maybe the guy you bought it from had a really bad memory and it was the actual key fob that needs to be in the car... My car will shut off after a couple of miles of driving without the key fob in it (or with a dead fob not in the slot)
Appreciate 0