F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Brake wear sensors and a couple of other bits...
ARMA SPEED

09-02-2019, 02:03 PM   #1
b1gandy
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f30 330d M Sport + EBII + MPPK

Brake wear sensors and a couple of other bits...

Apologies if this has been previously asked. I am going to replace my disks and pads (OEM Blue M Sport Brembo's) and wanted to know if there is just one sensor fitted per axle or is it per wheel? I didnt want to but 4 if I only need 2. I could jack up the car and look but its raining at present and thought it might be an easy answer for someone who has done it themselves.
The car is a 2014 UK 330D with M Sport brakes and the 370F/345Rmm rotors as a dealer upgrade which I believe makes them the same as the M Performance brakes but without the drilled and slotted rotors, which I will fit because they look better. I have checked the Callipers and they are the Brembo's with the 370/380 markings on the rear. ( I know I should have checked for wear sensors at the same time....)
I will likely stick with Brembo for the rotors (34106797603kt) but wanted opinions on pads? I do a lot of motorway driving with very little harsh braking but do like a nice drive on country roads every so often but no tracks.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 02:10 PM   #2
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gandy View Post
Apologies if this has been previously asked. I am going to replace my disks and pads (OEM Blue M Sport Brembo's) and wanted to know if there is just one sensor fitted per axle or is it per wheel? I didnt want to but 4 if I only need 2. I could jack up the car and look but its raining at present and thought it might be an easy answer for someone who has done it themselves.
The car is a 2014 UK 330D with M Sport brakes and the 370F/345Rmm rotors as a dealer upgrade which I believe makes them the same as the M Performance brakes but without the drilled and slotted rotors, which I will fit because they look better. I have checked the Callipers and they are the Brembo's with the 370/380 markings on the rear. ( I know I should have checked for wear sensors at the same time....)
I will likely stick with Brembo for the rotors (34106797603kt) but wanted opinions on pads? I do a lot of motorway driving with very little harsh braking but do like a nice drive on country roads every so often but no tracks.
One per axle.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

One per, and you only need to change them if they've tripped.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 07:29 AM   #4
b1gandy
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f30 330d M Sport + EBII + MPPK

Thanks for this, I understand that the sensors are more or less an on/off with the way it works (wears down a covering when the pads get too thin) but is it not a best practice to just swap them anyway given they are only about £10? I am happy to leave them as they havent tripped, just asking.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 05:24 PM   #5
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Quote:
Thanks for this, I understand that the sensors are more or less an on/off with the way it works (wears down a covering when the pads get too thin) but is it not a best practice to just swap them anyway given they are only about £10? I am happy to leave them as they havent tripped, just asking.
It's not going to hurt anything if you leave them in there or leave them unplugged and zip tie them up.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 08:37 AM   #6
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
I've had them untripped but issues after changing brake pads. I will always buy new sensors after having my car laid up. Fool me once, that's my motto lol
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0