E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Getting "Outside light failure" symbol... but all the lights seem to be working?

08-30-2019, 08:25 PM   #1
gde061
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

Getting "Outside light failure" symbol... but all the lights seem to be working?

I had the funky looking lightbulb symbol pop up on me today in the driveway before getting underway. I examined the signals, the brakes, low and high beams, fog lights... all seem to be working. I also happen to have a Volvo that has had a "bulb position failure" message for 10+ years, even though every bulb is working... is this a common sensor fault to BMW as well, or is there some fancy bulb I'm overlooking (like the ones on the bottom of the doors that make the BMW hologram on the pavement?)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 09:11 PM   #2
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gde061 View Post
(like the ones on the bottom of the doors that make the BMW hologram on the pavement?)
Exactly zero E90s came with that from the factory and you should remove them immediately.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17309.00
      08-30-2019, 09:34 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Use "Check Control" to display the "CC-ID" number on your instrument cluster, and post it here if you do NOT have Bentley or other reference to lookup the definition of the CC-ID code.

Search "Check Control" in the Index of your Owner's Manual for the procedure to display the code. If you have the Bulb Fail Warning Light on the Instrument Cluster, you DO have a CC-ID code that you can display, which will identify which bulb or type of bulb has the issue. You should also see a "!" in a yellow triangle to the right of the Gear Selector display at lower-center of Instrument Cluster which means there is a CC-ID code saved.

Be aware that you MAY have a situation where the bulb fail module warning lights even though ALL bulbs are lighting, but you ALSO may have the situation where ONE of the two tail lights on one side is out and you don't realize it, or a license tag light is out, etc.

George
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 06:38 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Use "Check Control" to display the "CC-ID" number on your instrument cluster, and post it here if you do NOT have Bentley or other reference to lookup the definition of the CC-ID code.

Search "Check Control" in the Index of your Owner's Manual for the procedure to display the code. If you have the Bulb Fail Warning Light on the Instrument Cluster, you DO have a CC-ID code that you can display, which will identify which bulb or type of bulb has the issue. You should also see a "!" in a yellow triangle to the right of the Gear Selector display at lower-center of Instrument Cluster which means there is a CC-ID code saved.

Be aware that you MAY have a situation where the bulb fail module warning lights even though ALL bulbs are lighting, but you ALSO may have the situation where ONE of the two tail lights on one side is out and you don't realize it, or a license tag light is out, etc.

George
OP, George has the correct method to diagnose. On my '06 E90 (pre-LCI) I had the same issue. I had a bulb failure come up, CC-ID 290 IIRC, but for the life of me could not find what light was burned out. It turned out the small triangle tail light on the left-side of trunk was burned out. I eventually found out what light was burned out because a LEO pulled me over one Friday night on the way home from work, even though I had inspected the car several times. I was astonished he saw it at speed and thanked him for his service (I was assuming he was trolling for drunk drivers) . I guess the police are well trained in such things. Also, check the angel eye ring lights, those are tricky to notice as well if the headlights are on; check the car with just the running lights lit.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0