E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2009 E93 Top & Driver Window Inoperable - Please help

08-29-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
bikeluver43
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Convertible

2009 E93 Top & Driver Window Inoperable - Please help

Hello Everyone, been a member for a bit mostly reading and learning. Recently I acquired my fathers 2009 BMW 335i Hardtop Convertible after his passing. When I got the car everything worked except for the headlights - still don't work but I'm pretty sure its just needing ballasts for both sides. Well after getting the car back to my house, it sat and eventually the battery died which was when the problems started.

The old battery - OEM BMW Battery AGM - would not take a charge so I replaced it with a new non AGM battery from advance auto parts. Battery was not hooked up incorrectly as its almost impossible to do anyway, but just wanted to get that out there.

New battery installed and now the driver window doesn't work and the top will not operate other than unlocking itself.

Driver Window:
-All other windows operate fine whether it be from the driver door switch, All window down switch, passenger door switch, or the convertible top switch. Also, using the key in the door handle still rolls all other windows except the driver window. Fuses are all good as well. Today I removed the motor from the door and tested with 12v power to the plug pins - the motor turned fine. So my thoughts are its the driver door switch that would need replacing? I'm still unsure since the key in the door handle doesn't do anything either. Does that go through the switch to operate the window or something else?

Convertible Top:
-When pushing the button all 3 windows (except the driver window) roll down, and the top unlocks itself. It then doesn't do anything else. You cannot hear the pump turn on, the trunk doesn't open, etc. I've replaced the salmon relays, checked fluid level, and even unhooked the pump motor and tested with 12v power to which it spins fine. Part of me was originally thinking the CTM may be bad but I'm also unsure if all 4 windows need to be lowered for the top to go down. I keep reading about hall sensors and wasn't sure if all 4 windows would need to be lowered in order for the CTM to allow the top to finish its movement.

I've downloaded Carly and am also getting ProTool from Bimmer Geeks but am waiting on the cord to arrive to allow me to code/clear faults.

In the meantime, can anyone possibly assist with what you may think the issues are?

Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 08:44 PM   #2
gde061
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

I'm just a neophite on these boards, but did you register the new battery with the ECU? I know you say it was hooked up right, but by "hooked up" I guess it could be that the connections were done right, but you didn't go in an use a computer tool to reset / re-register the new battery. I don't know why it would have this kind of effect, except that this registration has something to do with the "smart" ability to manage the power in the battery so if the older battery was like weaker, it might draw off current differently for motors and such than it would from a brand-spanking new battery. I'm just spit-balling with that last part... it seems like a bit of a stretch.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 10:16 PM   #3
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
Does the drivers window operate at all? Or just moves in increments. Your window may have lost I itialization when you disconnected the battery. Start with that.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 11:10 AM   #4
bikeluver43
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Convertible

Thank you for the replies and I apologize for taking so long to return. I purchased a new switch and installed it with no changes. The window does not operate at all - there is no movement whatsoever. The other 3 windows move fine whether you are using the driver door switch or the passenger switch/top down switch.

I'm still at a loss to all of this. Could it be from the footwell module by chance?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 02:55 PM   #5
200,000 club
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 328i 6MT

I'm having the same issue right now, so I took off my door panel and found that the line connected to the motor had broken, well, the spring to be particular. I need to buy a new one
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 05:20 PM   #6
COOLBMWMAN
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328 CONVERTIBLE

jerking top lid going down

Has anyone had their hard top lid close like in the video? At first, it would not even closest I lubricated everything and now it does, but it still jerks on the way down. I tried to attach a video but it won't let me
Appreciate 0