BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-29-2019, 08:06 AM   #1
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

new Macan Turbo?

what is porsche thinking

added 34 horsepower to base model (only one offered) and $8,000 to price, now starts at over $84,000, basically starts at what a fully loaded X3M cost.

tough to see how that is justified
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
dylan1357
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Comp

Garage List
I'm also reading it has the same engine as the Panamera and Audi RS4... which can deliver a higher hp...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #3
Mfan007
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 CS.....X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
what is porsche thinking

added 34 horsepower to base model (only one offered) and $8,000 to price, now starts at over $84,000, basically starts at what a fully loaded X3M cost.

Greed. Plain and simple. The German economy is reliant upon the car industry, how many people in the world do they think make over 6 figures a year to be able to afford these cars? Most German citizens can only dream of having a base BMW or Porsche and the funny thing is we get the cars cheaper than the German citizens do. The Mclaren F1 and Jaguar Xj220 changed the automotive landscape for the worse once they surpassed the 1 million dollar Msrp mark. When the Bugatti veyron came out it was 1 million euros, now everybody wants to sell cars in the multi-million dollar range. Instead of technology trickling down the range for auto manufacturers, the price increases are the only things that seem to have trickled down. Not everyone works in Silicon Valley or is sitting atop an oil well.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 03:06 AM   #4
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
what is porsche thinking

Let me help...

First, there are three models, not just base and Turbo.

Second, the Turbo has 186 more HP than the base Macan; and 86 more HP than a Macan S.

Third, a Macan Turbo is $33,700(!) more than a base Macan.

Where are you getting your information from? 🤷🏻*♂️

Lastly, Porsche > BMW. Their products are going to be more expensive. No surprise here.

Attached Images

08-30-2019, 08:47 AM   #5
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR, e60 M5, e36 IP

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Let me help...

Second, the Turbo has 186 more HP than the base Macan; and 86 more HP than a Macan S.

Where are you getting your information from? ����*♂️

Lastly, Porsche > BMW. Their products are going to be more expensive. No surprise here.

He was comparing the previous Macan Turbo with 400 hp. And later in the previous Turbo's cycle Porsche offered the performance pack that increased horsepower to 440. So it's curious that the new model does not even reach that level and, at least for now, no option is offered for more power.

When I configured the new Turbo with equipment roughly matching the X3M, MB GLC63 and F-Pace SVR, the result was over $110,000. Doesn't make much sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #6
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichmond View Post
Quote:
Let me help...

Where are you getting your information from? ����*♂️

He was comparing the previous Macan Turbo with 400 hp. And later in the previous Turbo's cycle Porsche offered the performance pack that increased horsepower to 440. So it's curious that the new model does not even reach that level and, at least for now, no option is offered for more power.

When I configured the new Turbo with equipment roughly matching the X3M, MB GLC63 and F-Pace SVR, the result was over $110,000. Doesn't make much sense to me.
Pricing seems completely in line with all the other offerings from Porsche. I'm not grasping why the surprise. My 2019 Macan GTS build was deep into $80k range. A newer model, with higher Turbo trim at $110k isn't shocking to me.
      08-30-2019, 11:25 AM   #7
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Pricing seems completely in line with all the other offerings from Porsche. I'm not grasping why the surprise. My 2019 Macan GTS build was deep into $80k range. A newer model, with higher Turbo trim at $110k isn't shocking to me.
It is not at all shocking. It's not that it doesn't make sense with respect to Porsche pricing. It doesn't make sense in comparison to the competition. Porsche certainly will sell these because there are enough people who will pay the Porsche premium, and some will prefer the Macan's styling. To each his own.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 12:14 PM   #8
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I really like the styling of the Macan but the interior size is too small and the pricing is a bit high, at least for my budget.

There is a Macan in my neighborhood and I haven't been able to tell what trim it is but the exhaust note on startup is nice and aggressive. I can only imagine what it sounds like at WOT. I would love to drive one though. Curious how much better it would handle that BMW rivals.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 01:16 PM   #9
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
I really like the styling of the Macan but the interior size is too small and the pricing is a bit high, at least for my budget.

There is a Macan in my neighborhood and I haven't been able to tell what trim it is but the exhaust note on startup is nice and aggressive. I can only imagine what it sounds like at WOT. I would love to drive one though. Curious how much better it would handle that BMW rivals.
I test drove a Macan Turbo back-to-back with a GLC63 (non-S). The Macan's handling was superior, but that difference would not be apparent in every-day driving. The Macan felt noticeably slower than the GLC (enough so that my wife remarked on it immediately).

A friend has a beautiful Macan Turbo with a glorious-sounding aftermarket exhaust that I considered buying before deciding on a different car. I agree with your assessment -- lovely design, especially inside, but feels (and is) smaller than the competition.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 01:22 PM   #10
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Porsche pricing is Porsche pricing but there's no excuse for anything less than 450 hp from this engine in Turbo guise.
Appreciate 0