E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Low coolant light at startup

08-27-2019, 08:28 PM   #1
mchez
Adding up the cost of the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Garage List
2011 E90 335i  [0.00]
Low coolant light at startup

Just another day in paradise!

Turning on my car today after sitting in a parking lot for a few minutes and the low coolant light went on. Not while driving, but upon turning the engine over. I stopped the engine, waited a few minutes, and checked coolant level. It was still warm so some leaked out on depressurization, but I added some straight BMW coolant I had in the trunk.

It was a 2 mile drive back to my apartment and the low coolant light was on the whole way so I had the windows down and heat cranked just in case the engine got toasty (very stressful). When I parked the light went away which I though was strange because when the light had just come on it stayed on when I shut the engine off. But when I parked the light went away immediately. If I had added the right amount of coolant in the parking lot when the light originally came on, wouldn't the light have gone away then?

That led me to believe there's something wrong with the sensor or with the battery. I have a weak crank when starting my car warm because the starter is on its way out (haven't had the time to replace yet) so maybe the strain from the battery to get the car started caused a temporary drop in voltage?

I should also add that I got the upper radiator hose and expansion tank replaced about 2K miles ago. 98K on the car. Coolant pump and thermostat replaced about 2 years and 18K miles ago.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0