BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > LCI Cluster Protector

08-25-2019, 05:15 PM   #1
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

LCI Cluster Protector

I know the LCI cluster is notorious for its scratches, so I ordered some precut self healing protectors from China. They are soft and thick films like PPF instead of glass screen protectors on cell phones. Do any of you think that it would be a good idea to put it on the cluster?

View post on imgur.com

Last edited by MetalMK; 08-25-2019 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 05:42 PM   #2
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Was it precut? I had plans to make these in glass but haven't had time to get the graphics done for laser cutting them.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 06:16 PM   #3
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Was it precut? I had plans to make these in glass but haven't had time to get the graphics done for laser cutting them.
Please make something like this for our clusters. They'll sell like crazy.

https://www.amazon.com/LFOTPP-Instru...tronics&sr=1-3
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2019, 06:22 PM   #4
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Quote:
Please make something like this for our clusters. They'll sell like crazy.

https://www.amazon.com/LFOTPP-Instru...tronics&sr=1-3
That's the plan. Problem is, I'm not the best graphic designer and had a heck of a time getting all the cuts right for my plotter. I back burnered it for a bit cause I got busy.

I'm pretty sure I could sell them all day long given how many cars those dashes are in.

EDIT: My dash is already pretty scratched up and I was super careful about cleaning it.

Best just never to touch it. Lol

If someone had an LCI dash already removed they can send me, it would make things much easier. Then I could pass it off to a friend of mine who does this stuff all day and get a real high quality vector done for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 06:27 PM   #5
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It is precut. You can see it in the picture. If you make it in glass I'm just wondering if they will be too reflective on a sunny day. Also would it be harmful if I want to peel it off later?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 06:49 PM   #6
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

If someone had an LCI dash already removed they can send me, it would make things much easier. Then I could pass it off to a friend of mine who does this stuff all day and get a real high quality vector done for it.
This one's pretty cheap all things considered. Might be worth the investment to get the ball rolling.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-BMW...0AAOSwyExdM19X
Appreciate 2
detroitm22431.50
      08-25-2019, 07:55 PM   #7
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
I know the LCI cluster is notorious for its scratches, so I ordered some precut self healing protectors from China. They are soft and thick films like PPF instead of glass screen protectors on cell phones. Do any of you think that it would be a good idea to put it on the cluster?

View post on imgur.com
do you have a link for this? I'm interested
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 09:26 PM   #8
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
You wouldn't want to be using any film that has adhesive as it would be impossible to get it on square & free of bubbles (obviously you can't use soapy water under the film in the way PPF is installed), plus you wouldn't ever want to find yourself having to clean off adhesive residue.

If it's a non-adhesive film you'll still have to clean the cluster and get it on without bubbles/dust underneath, not impossible but a challenge.

If you're cluster is scratch free why not just take extra care cleaning it. I've cleaned my July 17 LCI cluster every 4-6wks and it's still unmarked. I use a very damp micro fibre cloth then dry with another micro fibre cloth, with both cloths I don't apply direct pressure but glide the scrunched up cloth over the cluster surface. I keep these clothes solely for cleaning the dash and store (dry) in plastic bags. If you live in a dry/dusty area just be extra careful to keep the cloths clean.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 09:29 PM   #9
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
do you have a link for this? I'm interested
I'll PM you.
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      08-25-2019, 09:33 PM   #10
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
It is precut. You can see it in the picture. If you make it in glass I'm just wondering if they will be too reflective on a sunny day. Also would it be harmful if I want to peel it off later?
The stuff im looking at has a pretty high anti-reflective rating. Also, in checking with the manufacture to see if I can get it without adhesive in the back.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 09:52 PM   #11
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Quote:

This one's pretty cheap all things considered. Might be worth the investment to get the ball rolling.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-BMW...0AAOSwyExdM19X
Good price. But description says it ships from Romania..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 09:59 PM   #12
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Good price. But description says it ships from Romania..
Ordering parts from overseas isn't really that sketchy these days, especially when going through an intermediary like ebay/paypal where you can get your money refunded should something go wrong.

This one's from the UK if that makes you feel any better:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-BMW....c100009.m1982

Quote:
The stuff im looking at has a pretty high anti-reflective rating. Also, in checking with the manufacture to see if I can get it without adhesive in the back.
It has to have some kind of adhesive on it to stay put though, right?
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2019, 02:59 AM   #13
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
I can honestly say I've not previously heard of the cluster being prone to scratching and I'm puzzled as to how it would occur...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 06:00 AM   #14
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Is there a recommended cleaning method from BMW?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 09:03 AM   #15
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by squixs View Post
Is there a recommended cleaning method from BMW?
Compressed air seems to be the only safe method

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
I can honestly say I've not previously heard of the cluster being prone to scratching and I'm puzzled as to how it would occur...
The material it's coated in is some sort of soft delicate matte finish. If you so much as look at it the wrong way it will scratch. You can't even wipe it gently with a microfiber towel without damaging it. Do yourself a favor and only clean it with compressed air from here on out, otherwise it will end up looking like this:

08-26-2019, 09:40 AM   #16
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Has anyone tried getting a warranty replacement from BMW on the dash?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 02:00 PM   #17
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Has anyone tried getting a warranty replacement from BMW on the dash?
I think I recall someone here claiming they got a replacement. I imagine if you noticed in a time frame close to taking delivery you may be able to get a replacement unit but after months of ownership it will probably be regarded wear and tear or they point the finger at you for not cleaning it properly even though there isn't a proper method that won't damage it outside of never, ever touching it.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 02:13 PM   #18
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I think I recall someone here claiming they got a replacement. I imagine if you noticed in a time frame close to taking delivery you may be able to get a replacement unit but after months of ownership it will probably be regarded wear and tear or they point the finger at you for not cleaning it properly even though there isn't a proper method that won't damage it outside of never, ever touching it.
I reached out to my SA, he said bring it in and the service manager would take a look and see if its something they could warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 07:53 PM   #19
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

I know this doesn't help those with already scratched clusters, but it is simply not true to say it can't be cleaned (with micro fibre clothes) without causing damage. I've found a photo of my dash I happen to take showing 20K km, car was 13mths old and I would have cleaned the dash I guess 8+ times. It's not marked and I have separately used direct sunlight and an LED torch to check given the threads about this.
It's now another 10mths since that photo, 40K km, another 6 or so cleans and it's still unmarked. So happens the car went into dealer yesterday for warranty clutch work so I can't take another photo now but I'm happy to post one for the sceptics once I get the car back

It's obviously not satisfactory that it can be damaged so easily but trying to install some type of screen protector will itself be a risky task (especially if you want it on square & don't want to look at trapped dust/air bubbles).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
F87EVO4036.00
      08-26-2019, 08:21 PM   #20
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I find you have to have light on the cluster at the right angle for the hairline scratches to appear visible as straight on mine looks perfect like that but with the sun shining at the right angle you can see them.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 10:34 PM   #21
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I find you have to have light on the cluster at the right angle for the hairline scratches to appear visible as straight on mine looks perfect like that but with the sun shining at the right angle you can see them.
Yes I know, as I said in my post above I've carefully checked with both direct sunlight and an LED torch. I have one faint mark across part of the bottom near the odo only visible with sun/torch which I'm pretty sure was caused by a vacuum/brush when I first bought the car (before anyone knew about the issue & luckily I'd only used it across the bottom). There simply is not a mark anywhere else and I've cleaned it multiple times.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 11:09 PM   #22
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Wish they made something like this for the OG gauge cluster too.