E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Stripped screw while replacing HPFP

08-24-2019, 07:26 PM   #1
skyblue90
Rep
Drives: E90

Stripped screw while replacing HPFP

So I stripped a screw on the hpfp while attempting to replace it. Should I just take it to the shop and let them handle it or does anyone know of any way I can save myself $300 and just finish this DIY job that I started? Here's a pic of the screw that got stripped.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 07:38 PM   #2
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

When you mean you stripped it, you mean the Allen head no longer fits right? One solution is to take a slightly larger Allen head and jam it in. The other solution is to try and fit some small vice grips to take it out. The final solution would be to drill or use an easy-out, but the tight quarters would make it difficult.

Since you're replacing it, you might be able to get at it from the side and drill the head away. You'll need a new bolt regardless.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 09:07 PM   #3
skyblue90
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
When you mean you stripped it, you mean the Allen head no longer fits right? One solution is to take a slightly larger Allen head and jam it in. The other solution is to try and fit some small vice grips to take it out. The final solution would be to drill or use an easy-out, but the tight quarters would make it difficult.

Since you're replacing it, you might be able to get at it from the side and drill the head away. You'll need a new bolt regardless.
Managed to get it out with another hex socket of the same size that I had. The screw head was basically a circle and I have no clue how it worked lmao.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 09:53 PM   #4
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblue90 View Post
Managed to get it out with another hex socket of the same size that I had. The screw head was basically a circle and I have no clue how it worked lmao.
Sometimes those are the best solutions! Be glad you don't need to explain to your manager how it worked
Appreciate 0