BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) iPhone Bluetooth Syncing

08-20-2019, 02:25 AM   #1
Xtra1
Rep
Drives: X1 Xline Xdrive 2.0i Auto

iPhone Bluetooth Syncing

Has anyone had problems with iPhone syncing with the car? Initially, this was perfect with contacts and music syncing perfectly even with album art showing on the head unit but now although both phone and car showing a healthy connection playback is not possible even with tracks showing on the head unit. The head unit is the basic 6.5 inch unit and the phone is an iPhone X max. Have tried removing bluetooth connection on both phone and car and re setting with no success so any help/info would be gratefully received.
P.S This is NOT using Car Play just the normal phone link.
Thanks, Clive
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 02:38 AM   #2
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

Yeah I get the same issue, completely randomly. It happens rarely, but it happens. It gets fixed on its own, no idea how.

With Android it is worse, happens more often than not.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 04:08 AM   #3
Xtra1
Rep

Thanks for comment. I am not sure but I may have a possible explanation. I imagine that like a lot of people I use the USB with appropriate cable to re-charge phone whilst in car if battery needs topping up. It may be this connection that upsets the bluetooth link. The bluetooth link is back to working perfectly with both telephone contacts and music after not using USB for a while. Will keep monitoring the connection and hopefully this will turn out to be the fix!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 06:51 AM   #4
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Not sure whether this may help, but I found, whilst using iPhone 7, that the cable connection I was using was not specified as compliant with Apple standards. I switched to a cable I bought in Tesco that says it meets Apple standards and haven't had any further issues with that phone or my current iPhone XR. Another benefit of the new cable is that it is only approx 6-8" long and doesn't look like a pile of spaghetti in centre console when plugged in.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 04:25 AM   #5
Xtra1
Rep

Many thanks for reply oakey46. It does seem that the problem may have its roots in the usb connection which somehow has some effect on the bluetooth connection. All has been ok for the last few days so I am, for a while at least steering clear of the USB connection!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 06:52 AM   #6
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtra1 View Post
Has anyone had problems with iPhone syncing with the car? Initially, this was perfect with contacts and music syncing perfectly even with album art showing on the head unit but now although both phone and car showing a healthy connection playback is not possible even with tracks showing on the head unit. The head unit is the basic 6.5 inch unit and the phone is an iPhone X max. Have tried removing bluetooth connection on both phone and car and re setting with no success so any help/info would be gratefully received.
P.S This is NOT using Car Play just the normal phone link.
Thanks, Clive
Yes. Mine started playing up when returned from dealer service last week, even if usb not plugged in. I find best way is to restart iPhone as it is showing as synced but not playing through the HU. I am not sure is this a BMW or Apple issue (as also updated my phone) and be interested if people with android phones suddenly started having problems.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 09:38 AM   #7
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
Not sure whether this may help, but I found, whilst using iPhone 7, that the cable connection I was using was not specified as compliant with Apple standards. I switched to a cable I bought in Tesco that says it meets Apple standards and haven't had any further issues with that phone or my current iPhone XR. Another benefit of the new cable is that it is only approx 6-8" long and doesn't look like a pile of spaghetti in centre console when plugged in.
I bought a center console cover under the arm rest and it has holes for the USB and chargers. It looks factory and eliminates the clutter under the arm rest that looks messy. I also got these thin plastic document boxes/holders that fit between the console and seats to put stuff in them like important letters or other things. I purchased them at Dollarama.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 01:14 PM   #8
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

It might be worth checking if there's any software updates for your car on the BMW site: https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html

I do mine every so often, and just found that there's a new version for my 2016 X1 (UPD07044). Just copy it to a USB stick, and then go to the Settings -> Software Update menu. You may find that there's a bug fix for your phone issue...
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      08-29-2019, 12:26 PM   #9
Xtra1
Rep

Many thanks everybody for you contributions, really appreciated. CliveL, I have checked on the BMW software update page and there IS an update for a 2018 X1 which amazingly includes iPhone connectivity so this will be tried tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 01:36 AM   #10
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Interesting...I had an bluetooth/Iphone issue with my 2019 build X2.
What would happen is that I'd answer a phone using BT, but it would randomly switch to just the phone speaker while I was talking. This happened very often.

BMW dealership said to update the Iphone software, but I switched to using the Carplay so never tested it again...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 07:47 AM   #11
Xtra1
Rep

Can confirm software update via the official BMW site appears to have fixed problem, at least until Apple change to IOS 12.5! Once again thanks to all for valuable input.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #12
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtra1 View Post
Can confirm software update via the official BMW site appears to have fixed problem, at least until Apple change to IOS 12.5! Once again thanks to all for valuable input.
Excellent, glad to hear it's hopefully resolved Oddly the PDFs of release note information about the software updates didn't seem to be available on that BMW update site for the recent update I did, so I installed it "blind" just to keep up-to-date. Apple seem to release various iOS updates and patches fairly regularly, so I guess there's always a chance that one of these could upset the Bluetooth connectivity until an update comes out from BMW maybe?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 07:14 PM   #13
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

One update recently (there's been a couple in the last year) fixed the problem of album art not showing when connected via USB. But I'm damn sure it also used to display when using BT, but hasn't for a while. Anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 07:15 PM   #14
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

One update recently (there's been a couple in the last year) fixed the problem of album art not showing when connected via USB. But I'm damn sure it also used to display when using BT, but hasn't for a while. Anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 07:46 AM   #15
mbr883
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
I received my 2018 X1 in December of 2017 and album artwork displayed when I picked up the X1 via bluetooth. I did have a recent issue with my bluetooth where (1) Track names would not show up and instead just said Track 1, Track 2 and so on (though album artwork would show) and (2) Bluetooth music just stopped working altogether though Bluetooth phone worked.

Took it to the dealership and they reset my iDrive system. It proceeded to work for 3 days before doing issue 2 again. I did everything to troubleshoot including factory resetting my iPhone (via iTunes to install a fresh OS) and not restoring from backup. That did not fix it. Luckily, I had to have my iPhone replaced last week and so far everything has worked smoothly.
Appreciate 0