F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > FMIC Upgrade in AZ Heat
Extreme Powerhouse

08-18-2019, 08:08 PM   #1
SeanFitz335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

FMIC Upgrade in AZ Heat

I have a '14 335i M-Sport auto and live in the Phoenix area. I just bought it in June and it is stock. I would eventually like to get a BM3 tune and FBO but that is going to be over the next year or two. The goal is 450 or so FWHP as this is my daily driver and my wife will be driving it when I need her car. Must be reliable and run crappy AZ 91 octane (93 is scarce near me).

I'm looking for feedback from fellow Phoenix valley members with upgrade experience. I'm thinking my very first upgrades this year will be charge pipe and a FMIC. Is the FMIC worth it first? I know that I am not going to see big numbers from the FMIC without the tune but I figure that we are at a disadvantage from the start with 115* ambient temps and an upgrade will help with timing and a bit of boost in the heat. And it will be set for when I add the BM3.

Suggestions on which FMIC for my HP target? It's modest as I am not looking to turbo upgrade or meth inject until I have another daily driver.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 12:48 PM   #2
AZ330FZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan Sport Line

Garage List
I just did a FMIC about 3 months ago, I would say that even with out super high outside ambient air temp that the FMIC makes a difference during the summer. I also just loaded the BM3 software and love it so far. First thing to change would be the charge pipe, they are notorious for breaking under even stock boost levels. I did the charge-pipe and cat-less down-pipe from CTS Turbo and the FMIC by CSF, purchased through Extreme Power House. I cant wait to get some winter weather temperatures through the FMIC and with the tune and see how it really reacts.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 09:54 PM   #3
SeanFitz335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ330FZL View Post
I just did a FMIC about 3 months ago...
Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably shop Black Friday or Christmas sales for the charge pipe and FMIC.

Sounds like you did the FMIC first and then the BM3, right? What stage are you running on the BM3? I'm wondering if I could do the charge pipe and stage 1 BM3 towards the end of the year when it's cooler and then the FMIC before next summer heats up and go up to Stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #4
AZ330FZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanFitz335 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably shop Black Friday or Christmas sales for the charge pipe and FMIC.

Sounds like you did the FMIC first and then the BM3, right? What stage are you running on the BM3? I'm wondering if I could do the charge pipe and stage 1 BM3 towards the end of the year when it's cooler and then the FMIC before next summer heats up and go up to Stage 2.
Correct. FMIC among other upgrades first and then the BM3 a couple weeks ago. You should be able to do stage one after doing the charge pipe with no problems. Then you will want FMIC and Downpipe for Stage 2. Chargepipe install wasn't that difficult. Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to help. Can help with install too if needed.
Appreciate 0