E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What M thread is the intercooler mount hole?

08-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

What M thread is the intercooler mount hole?

I don't like the Philips head that came with my VRSF intercooler and I would rather have a torx or at least a HEX bolt.

Does anyone know what the thread I need to pickup at the hard ware store? Would be nice to know from someone instead of unbolting the inter cooler 2 times.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 03:13 PM   #2
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

Not sure if you're going to get an answer to your question. The turbo outlet/chargepipe connections should keep the IC held in place for the most part, if not just slide a jack under there while you unbolt one side. In & out in 5 minutes.
      08-15-2019, 03:17 PM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by b92 View Post
Not sure if you're going to get an answer to your question. The turbo outlet/chargepipe connections should keep the IC held in place for the most part, if not just slide a jack under there while you unbolt one side. In & out in 5 minutes.
Reason why I want to change my mounting hardware is because I gotta repaint my stencil since it's chipped off so I'll be taking it off and I recall putting the inter cooler first time the Philips would strip so easily.

I'm sure keeping just the pipes isn't a super idea...?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #4
OP3NAIR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i e93, '03 325xiT

I assume you are talking about the screws that hold the intercooler into the plastic bumper support. Those are not machine screws, they're threaded for plastic. Its a different thread form and the hardware store is not likely to have them (unless you've got a really good one).
Best solution would be to get a pair of studs (threaded for plastic on one side and machine thread on the other), so you just screw them in once, and then just have to run the nuts and a washer on and off. This is how the Wagner ICs are hung and its a pretty smart solution. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to get them.
Screws for plastic are available if you google it (mcmaster carr, etc...). Measure the outside diameter of the threads of the factory bolts and buy the same size. Alternatively, measure or take the supplied screws to the store with you.
Appreciate 0