E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Worrying stutter coming from engine n47d20c

08-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #1
Kevindk1234
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e91 318d

Worrying stutter coming from engine n47d20c

Hi everyone,
Im new here so appologies if this isnt posted in the right place.

Im the proud owner of a 2010 e91 318d lci 143hp.

I know the about the timing chain problems with this engine but i’m fairly certain this is something else.

Recently my car has been down on power a bit. I have cleaned my egr valve and changed my airfilter as a result but the problem remains.

Now a month or 2 later i have a stutter in my engine. Its about once every second. As if you can hear the pistons fire, then a short pauze and so forth. I have it between 800-2000rpm both with a hot and cold engine and both after driving long and short distances. It’s noticable between 0-70km/h and both when accelerating and coasting in gear. The car actually jerks along at the same rythm of the stutter.

I drive regularly on the motorway and in backroads and the car does a quite a lot of miles. So i dont think its egr/dpf related.
Injectors came to mind so i poured some injector cleaner in my tank and did some “spirited driving” at higher rpms. Still no effect...

I pulled over last time it happened ( its not all the time ) and opened the bonnet and found out it’s located at the right side of the car. In the region of the turbo.

After revving to 3500 rpm and holding for a couple seconds it went away.

I have absolutely no idea what this might be and i cant find similar posts here.

I would be very greatful if anyone here knows what this could be.

Thanks
Kevin
Attached Images

Last edited by Kevindk1234; 08-11-2019 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Removed a photo
Appreciate 0