ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-15-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
cabear
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5i

Anything to rejuvenate my soft top color?

For awhile now i figured the soft top was supposed to be somewhat off black to match my light silver paint and now i realize it's just faded (;p) anyways i was wondering if there was a way to rejuvenate the color a bit as the faded black is getting on my nerves a bit.

any help?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 10:16 PM   #2
wasupdu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0, CLS63 AMG

Garage List
I've always used Raggtop on my vehicles (Honda s2000 and now my Z4). The top on my s2000 didn't look that great when I bought it, but after applying Raggtop it was jet black.
      09-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
bmccullough
Registered
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 3.0i

I hope you have better luck w/ your top than I did with the top on my 2007 Z4. I made the mistake of purchasing a Certified Pre-Owned BMW on a dark and rainy night when I did not have an opportunity to carefully look the car over. I was relying on Certified Pre-owned meaning something to BMW and trusted them. As you can see from the email posted below Tom Bush and BMWNA feel that the material that the convertible top is made from will "self destruct" and look damaged after being lowered.

Email from Tom Bush Service manager ...

I understand your unhappiness with the outcome of the convertible top but as I mentioned, nothing that could be done would make any improvement as the marks created are characteristic.
I apologize for the delay in reaching the resolution and also for Matt in corporate.
Thank you
BJ Scott
Service Manager
Tom Bush BMW Orange Park
6914 Blanding Blvd
Jacksonville FL 32244-4421
904-777-2500

My response which has never been answered ...

Most quality convertibles on the road do not have this problem nor coincidentally, does the top on the passenger side of my car which I have to assume spent as much time in the lowered position as the driver's side. I have taken the vehicle to several detailers and another BMW dealer and they all assured me that either the dealer or previous owner put something on the top, be it wax, grease, or make-up which would destroy the waterproofing of the top to remove. The fact that the top is damaged beyond repair is evidenced by the fact that General Manager Ihab Samrout agreed that it is not right and not repairable and then offered to replace the top until BMW claimed that this damage is a characteristic of all BMW convertible tops.

http://s894.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=MVC-029F.jpg

http://s894.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=MVC-030F.jpg

http://s894.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=MVC-035F.jpg
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
bmccullough
Registered
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 3.0i

Thanks for the info I will purchase the raggtop.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
Codeman
The wine guy
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Is there anyway to get the top replaced under warranty? Anything people can claim?
Appreciate 0