F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Bilstein adaptive EDC compatible shocks for 340/xdrive
ARMA SPEED

08-05-2019, 06:36 AM   #1
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Bilstein adaptive EDC compatible shocks for 340/xdrive

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...2-F30-F32.html
Can anyone attest to the functionality of these in specific?
And can you tell if its a pair for the rear or just a single?
I have Eibachs but i haven't been able to get them in because no shop near me wants to do springs only, so they've sat in my garage for a few months and might just pull the trigger on these.
      08-05-2019, 07:40 AM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrmdoom View Post
I have Eibachs but i haven't been able to get them in because no shop near me wants to do springs only, so they've sat in my garage for a few months and might just pull the trigger on these.
Try the Bimmershops website. I found many more BMW Indy shops within driving distance than I knew existed.

Seems like a waste to scrap perfectly good adaptive dampers for want of a shop to do the work. The rear springs appear easier to do since the fronts require removing and disassembling the entire Macpherson strut.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 07:56 AM   #3
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Try the Bimmershops website. I found many more BMW Indy shops within driving distance than I knew existed.

Seems like a waste to scrap perfectly good adaptive dampers for want of a shop to do the work. The rear springs appear easier to do since the fronts require removing and disassembling the entire Macpherson strut.
I wouldnt be trashing the stock ones, they do have 50k miles on them though
      08-05-2019, 08:30 AM   #4
thisismikeyb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive M-Sport EBII

I installed the full set on my car a little under two months ago, and I can confirm they are just plug and play, nothing really to it. As for the price, that's for a single damper.

I bought my set from Bimmerworld and their customer service was great! They do have the full set available https://www.bimmerworld.com/Bilstein...Drive-EDC.html.

The only thing I will say is the spring perch on the front dampers is about a half inch higher than stock, so expect the front to be raised up a bit. I switched from Dinan springs to Eibach in order to level the car back out.

Overall ride quality has been great! I had about a month with the Dinan springs before switching to Eibach. I will say the Eibach feel just slightly better than the Dinan. With that said, my stock dampers were wearing out by 50k miles, I installed Shockware and that added about 20k miles, but by 70k they were done for. Finally at 84k miles on them Bilstein released their dampers for me to install.
2014 328i xDrive M-Sport EBII--M-Performance BBK/LSD/Aero--AA Signature Exhaust--Bilstein B6 DampTronic + Eibach Springs + H&R Swaybars + Millway Street Camber Plates + M3 Bump Stops + Dinan Shockware--Apex ARC-8 18x9.5et35+12mm Front Spacers w/Kumho Ecsta V730 275/35--FL-5/EC-7 18x8.5et35 w/Pilot Alpin PA4/Hakkapeliitta 10 Studded 245/45--BavSound Stage 1+Ghost Subs
Appreciate 2
johnung4528.00
      08-05-2019, 08:31 AM   #5
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:

Its not just that no shop wants to do it, its also that non oem springs will wear out shocks faster, my shocks arent due or anything but i am looking for an oem+ upgrade if you will
      08-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #6
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Wow, the x-drive kit is $500 cheaper than the rwd kit
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 12:23 PM   #7
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
I don't think so. This is just the rear pair. Does anyone have a link for EDC friendly bilstein b6 for xdrive 340 for ALL FOUR
      08-05-2019, 03:11 PM   #8
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't think so. This is just the rear pair. Does anyone have a link for EDC friendly bilstein b6 for xdrive 340 for ALL FOUR
No, as linked by mikeyb above (https://www.bimmerworld.com/Bilstein...Drive-EDC.html) this is the full kit.
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 11:50 PM   #9
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismikeyb View Post
I installed the full set on my car a little under two months ago, and I can confirm they are just plug and play, nothing really to it. As for the price, that's for a single damper.

I bought my set from Bimmerworld and their customer service was great! They do have the full set available https://www.bimmerworld.com/Bilstein-B6-HD-DampTronic-Shock-Strut-Package-Set-of-4-F22-F3X-xDrive-EDC.html.

The only thing I will say is the spring perch on the front dampers is about a half inch higher than stock, so expect the front to be raised up a bit. I switched from Dinan springs to Eibach in order to level the car back out.

Overall ride quality has been great! I had about a month with the Dinan springs before switching to Eibach. I will say the Eibach feel just slightly better than the Dinan. With that said, my stock dampers were wearing out by 50k miles, I installed Shockware and that added about 20k miles, but by 70k they were done for. Finally at 84k miles on them Bilstein released their dampers for me to install.
So i am reading here and i see that the b6 is not designed to work with aftermarket springs but you say it works well?
      08-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #10
thisismikeyb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I bought my set from Bimmerworld and their customer service was great! They do have the full set available https://www.bimmerworld.com/Bilstein-B6-HD-DampTronic-Shock-Strut-Package-Set-of-4-F22-F3X-xDrive-EDC.html.

So i am reading here and i see that the b6 is not designed to work with aftermarket springs but you say it works well?
I'm just sharing what happened with me, and what I did afterwards to fix the issue. The B6's are designed to be OEM replacements that can work with lowering springs.

The Dinan Springs are stiffer than the Eibachs. Which will shift the suspension from being over dampened to under dampened depending on your current damper profile.

With the Dinan Springs you'll feel more planted and have less body roll on smooth roads, however I have a few areas where the road causes the car to have a bit more movement than I would like. The Eibach springs being softer have from what I could feel fixed that.

In my quest to fix my ride height, I have raised the car just slightly with the 3-22 springs. The Eibach front springs are about a 1/4" lower than the Dinan, while the back is about 1/4-3/8" higher. Front to back and side to side are about level at this point.
2014 328i xDrive M-Sport EBII--M-Performance BBK/LSD/Aero--AA Signature Exhaust--Bilstein B6 DampTronic + Eibach Springs + H&R Swaybars + Millway Street Camber Plates + M3 Bump Stops + Dinan Shockware--Apex ARC-8 18x9.5et35+12mm Front Spacers w/Kumho Ecsta V730 275/35--FL-5/EC-7 18x8.5et35 w/Pilot Alpin PA4/Hakkapeliitta 10 Studded 245/45--BavSound Stage 1+Ghost Subs
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #11
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
The Dinan Springs are stiffer than the Eibachs.
Comparing Dinan kit D100-0911 to Eibach kit E10-20-031-03-22, if Dinan's F/R springs are really both 30% stiffer than xDrive non-EDC springs, then both Dinan and Eibach's front springs are the same rate, and the rear springs are also the same rate. Any difference you feel between them could be due to either bump stop contribution, or the mfg tolerance of the spring rate (+/- 5% for Eibach).

The Eibach E10-20-031-03-22 kit is recommended for the 320ix and 318dx, why did you go with that one over E10-20-031-04-22 (recommended for 328/330ix)?

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.

Last edited by FaRKle!; 08-14-2019 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 05:26 PM   #12
thisismikeyb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:
Comparing Dinan kit D100-0911 to Eibach kit E10-20-031-03-22, if Dinan's F/R springs are really both 30% stiffer than xDrive non-EDC springs, then both Dinan and Eibach's front springs are the same rate, and the rear springs are also the same rate. Any difference you feel between them could be due to either bump stop contribution, or the mfg tolerance of the spring rate (+/- 5% for Eibach).

The Eibach E10-20-031-03-22 kit is recommended for the 320ix and 318dx, why did you go with that one over E10-20-031-04-22 (recommended for 328/330ix)?
I really need to make a consolidated post soon. I posted here about my decision to go with the 3-22 vs 4-22.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25078159

Long story short, the front springs are 10mm shorter, I installed them to counter the roughly half inch raise the Bilstein's created.

Edit: One thing to note is during the install of both sets of springs, I did not have to compress the Dinan Springs to install, with the Eibachs I had to compress them a bit in order to get the top nut to thread onto the strut. So the Eibachs are slightly longer and compress a bit more than the Dinan's.

I should have taken pictures of the difference between the two. Best I can do now is:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 09:45 PM   #13
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:

I really need to make a consolidated post soon. I posted here about my decision to go with the 3-22 vs 4-22.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25078159

Long story short, the front springs are 10mm shorter, I installed them to counter the roughly half inch raise the Bilstein's created.

Edit: One thing to note is during the install of both sets of springs, I did not have to compress the Dinan Springs to install, with the Eibachs I had to compress them a bit in order to get the top nut to thread onto the strut. So the Eibachs are slightly longer and compress a bit more than the Dinan's.

I should have taken pictures of the difference between the two. Best I can do now is:
Great info. I have eibach springs but havent installed them yet because im waiting to get the b6s.