E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car gets hit at parking lot, does it affect the insurance ?

08-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #1
berk001
Rep
Drives: 2012 328xi coupe msport

Car gets hit at parking lot, does it affect the insurance ?

Hello everyone. I am really pissed so forgive me if it’s not the place to ask it but i need help. So it was parked in the lot and when i get back to my car i saw the badge was on the floor and my hood was bumped inverse. I wanted call the cops but i asked my dad first since he has the insurance he said leave it we’ll fix it out of the pocket because hes kind of afraid if the payment will increase. Two days after my headlight and high beams went off on the left eye and i went to bmw dealer tell them what happened they said it’s weird they both went out at the same time. it could be from the wires they said. So i went to a shop that i know to get it checked but that idiot messed up the whole unit and told me that i need to replace the whole unit. So basically added up an another grand on the whole damage. so what i want to do is i will go to a police station and get a report and then call the insurance company (geico) tell them this is what it is do what you get paid for and fix the car. Question is, will my insurance payment go up? If so how much up it could be 15-20 bucks 200-300? Anybody had a similar situation or heard of it please help me out thanks. The car is 2012 328xi coupe.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 04:12 PM   #2
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

I’m not 100% sure, but the car might also get a “Damage reported” entry in the Carfax report if you go through the insurance, for some people it might be good enough of s reason not to buy your car. And you will be selling it at some point. Now, if your out of pocket repairs exceed the potential drop in the car’s price, yes then go through the insurance, ideally find that mommylover who hit it and have them pay
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #3
berk001
Rep

it already has two hit-and-run (i know unbelievable), and this is going to be the third like you said if i go with insurance. The first was the first owner and the 2nd was some douchebag hit me on stop sign tried to take off but i got him, this one was on the mall where no cameras were recording it so i don't think we can track it down. Other thing, the cost of repair is pretty much the half a value of the what the car is worth right now so i don't really now what to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 05:44 PM   #4
zomski101
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Had the samething happen to a family member, insurance said premium only goes up if you are at fault. Given that it's not your fault, all you have to do is pay the deductible on your collision or uninsured motorist plan and all should be good. By law I believe the insurance company can't raise your rates.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 06:08 PM   #5
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

comprehensive claims should not affect premiums.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 10:49 PM   #6
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Thanks for reminding me to upgrade my dash cam.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 12:25 AM   #7
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

insurance will not go up if you are not at fault period. The problem is that you did not report this earlier to the police ... you also messed up the headlight unit for trying to fix it out of pocket

go get a police report now , take pictures, call insurance and get them to fix it properly.

The only thing that is coming out of your pocket is the deductible.

and dont worry that they dont buy your car because of a small accident, this rule does not apply for old cars anyways ... I never had someone not wanting to buy a 10 year old car because it had a small accident . As long as the car was fix properly and it has a clean title you are fine , the car is still going to sell for peanuts anyways. Some people think small accidents affect the value on an old car , sorry but I do not believe this affects the value on a private sale , specially when the car is 10 years old, unless the car was involves in huge accident , or the car has a rebuilt title . This rule may apply to get a discount at a dealership when you try to haggle the price of a car but in a private sale is different ,as private sales go for cheaper . This rule may apply on newer cars in a private sale
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 11:58 AM   #8
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
insurance will not go up if you are not at fault period. The problem is that you did not report this earlier to the police ... you also messed up the headlight unit for trying to fix it out of pocket

go get a police report now , take pictures, call insurance and get them to fix it properly.

The only thing that is coming out of your pocket is the deductible.

and dont worry that they dont buy your car because of a small accident, this rule does not apply for old cars anyways ... I never had someone not wanting to buy a 10 year old car because it had a small accident . As long as the car was fix properly and it has a clean title you are fine , the car is still going to sell for peanuts anyways. Some people think small accidents affect the value on an old car , sorry but I do not believe this affects the value on a private sale , specially when the car is 10 years old, unless the car was involves in huge accident , or the car has a rebuilt title . This rule may apply to get a discount at a dealership when you try to haggle the price of a car but in a private sale is different ,as private sales go for cheaper . This rule may apply on newer cars in a private sale

police reports are not for private parking lots.

they won't even show up here.

that's a civil matter, unless someone has been injured.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 12:22 PM   #9
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

If not claiming insurance, you can buy headlight unit from junkyard. How is it costing you 1 grand, u can get new adaptive light for $5-600on eBay.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 01:04 PM   #10
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Had two hit and runs, and my carfax said it had damage reported two separate times which really affects you when you go to sell the car.
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 01:29 PM   #11
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soden82 View Post
Had two hit and runs, and my carfax said it had damage reported two separate times which really affects you when you go to sell the car.
No in a 10 year old car ... this is like people expecting to find a car without any scratches or dings in a used car

like i said if the accident was small who really cares, in a private sale of an old used car , mileage , overall condition of the car is what matters . Unless your car was involved in a really expensive repairs, i dont see a major drop in value

I think people used this mostly when they go to a used dealership and they try to negotiated a better price

As a matter of fact when I went to get my bmw for appraisal at the dealership because i wanted to trade in for a m235i , they gave me a 14 500$ trade in value , then after giving me the value the appraisal asked me if the car was in an accident, i told him the car had a small collision in the back which required a bumper replacement , and it also had another one a few years back where it also required a bumper replacement , both collisions were under 2500$ , he did not even cared about them , the appraisal was still at 14 500 $

I even got an offer for my car last year for 10 k which is what they go for around here, only questions were mileage and if it had a clean title ...

these cars are already at an age where a small accident is not going to affect much ... if these cars were a lot newer sure it may make a difference . These are not collective cars , or cars that you are going to make money , their value right now has hit bottom already.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #12
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
police reports are not for private parking lots.

they won't even show up here.

that's a civil matter, unless someone has been injured.
they are not going to show up but you can certainly drive to a police station and ask to file a report if the damage is over 1000$ , at least in canada you can do that...

Nowdays , 1000$ in damage can easily be justify , all op has to do is get a body shop estimate and file a police report. Unless his insurance company does not require one... I had 2 different insurance company and one didnt care about a police report, they didnt even send an appraiser , everything was done online , i sent pictures , they give me estimate and chequed and my bodyshop does the job. Other one required a police report, i had to take it to their bodyshop for estimate .
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #13
berk001
Rep

I've read everyone response and wanted to thank you for sharing ideas and histories. I honestly don't care about the cars value anymore since i'm trying to get rid off it asap and get a garbage just to get me around for a year because it's just being a pain these days. So i'm going to go to a inspector of my insurance and ask if they need the police report or not, if so i'll just ask one of the officers that visits me during work to help me out with the report and get it fixed while i'm out of country and will put it on sale as soon as i came back. i think this is it. For the headlight, like i said after that idiot took off the unit form the car i just left the shop to get something to eat and when i came back he said bulbs are fine i need a new unit. I don't think whole unit can get messed up by sitting on the spot overnight? I asked one my friend he said check the ballast(?) idk how to that. Plus, for that specific unit(left) day lights, indicator, and the light idk the name of it's the one lights up as you turn the wheel adaptive light i think ? they all work except the low and the high beams. Anyone has an idea what to do before i go buy myself a few hundred dollars worth of bulbs ? (They are HID btw, or LED i'm not sure, it's white colored )
And funny thing, day after i left that shop i noticed he didn't put back one of fuses which idk why he took it off at the first place and my engine light is on rn, so anyone living on long island wants bust some ass hmu cuz i'm going to beat the s out of him tm if he won't fix it lol
Btw, let's i don't know anybody and after a month this happened i call my insurance company or call the police and tell them it happened yesterday or just now, how would they know if that's a lie ?

Last edited by berk001; 08-05-2019 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0