E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > n54 rough idle

08-03-2019, 08:31 PM   #1
Sremenap
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
n54 rough idle

Bought an auction car and am chasing demons. It was running quite well, but exhibited some wonkiness after pressing it.

I have been getting an SES light, and wont pass emissions. Codes are as follows:

2AAF
29e1
29e0

So after extensive searching online i have replaced the plugs.

I started to get the shuddering and misfiring at highway speeds.

New codes as follows:

2AAF
29CE
29CD
29CC

So after more research i have replaced the injectors. I have a pack of coils on the way, but i bought a single new coil and replaced it in every cylinder and restarted to car to determine i still have the same issues.

Now the car runs like total shit at idle. I seem to have gone backwards, but i wonder if i am just chasing mutiple failures and solving them one at a time.

Question i have is. Would the AAF code be the LPFP or the HPFP. I have never run meth and am not inclined to do so, and kind of doubt it was done before.

Opinions? Wisdom? I dont want to replace all the parts in the damn motor to find out i should have replaced the LP sensor or something :-)
      08-04-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
rawdog573
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sremenap View Post
Bought an auction car and am chasing demons. It was running quite well, but exhibited some wonkiness after pressing it.

I have been getting an SES light, and wont pass emissions. Codes are as follows:

2AAF
29e1
29e0

So after extensive searching online i have replaced the plugs.

I started to get the shuddering and misfiring at highway speeds.

New codes as follows:

2AAF
29CE
29CD
29CC

So after more research i have replaced the injectors. I have a pack of coils on the way, but i bought a single new coil and replaced it in every cylinder and restarted to car to determine i still have the same issues.

Now the car runs like total shit at idle. I seem to have gone backwards, but i wonder if i am just chasing mutiple failures and solving them one at a time.

Question i have is. Would the AAF code be the LPFP or the HPFP. I have never run meth and am not inclined to do so, and kind of doubt it was done before.

Opinions? Wisdom? I dont want to replace all the parts in the damn motor to find out i should have replaced the LP sensor or something :-)
Did you try new vanos? Or just pull yours out soak them in gasoline for an hour. Blow them out and see if they work again. Sometimes they will start working again temporarily until you can get new ones
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2019, 12:51 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Bought an auction car and am chasing demons. It was running quite well, but exhibited some wonkiness after pressing it. I have been getting an SES light, and wont pass emissions. Codes are as follows: 2AAF, 29e1, 29e0 [are you STILL getting those codes?]

...i have replaced the plugs. I started to get the shuddering and misfiring at highway speeds. New codes as follows: 2AAF; 29CE; 29CD; 29CC [are you STILL getting those codes?]

i have replaced the injectors...i bought a single new coil and replaced it in every cylinder and restarted to car to determine i still have the same issues.
Now the car runs like total shit at idle.
QUESTIONS:

1) What Scan Tool or Software do you have available to read Codes?
2) Can it ONLY provide Fault Code NUMBERS (such as 29e1), or is it also able to provide DEFINITIONS of those codes, and/or Freeze Frame Data or Code Details (a snapshot of engine conditions such as temp, RPM, when code was saved, and whether the fault is currently present or NOT)? HINT: Most Scan Tools that can show BMW FC can also provide proper Definition of Fault.
3) Can your Scan Tool or Software read and display "P-codes" or generic OBD II codes? 29e1 can be either Bank 2 TOO LEAN (P0174), OR TOO RICH (P0175), so if the Scan Tool is any good, it SHOULD tell you WHICH it is.
4) Is the vehicle in question the 2010 335i N54 with MSD80 DME that you show in your "Drives"?
5) What fault codes do you have NOW, and what Freeze Frame Data for EACH? If you have a Laptop-based Software such as INPA or ISTA, you can do a ScreenPrint of ANY pertinent screen (Shft+PrtSc), Paste it to "Paint", and SaveAs a jpg file in folder of your choice that you can attach a copy of here.
5a) What Warning Lights/Icons, SES/MIL etc. do you get in Instrument Cluster?
6) After Saving ALL Code Definitions, Details & Freeze Frame Data, CLEAR the codes and run the engine (drive the car if possible). What codes recur? We need CURRENT information.
7) Does your Scan Tool show you Fault Codes in ALL Modules, and if so, did you have any faults saved in the EKP (Fuel Pump Module)?
8) Does your Scan Tool allow you to connect to the EKP and monitor pump RPM, Voltage & Temp?

Let's look at the 7 Fault Codes you list -- following are Definitions from BMW Fault Code Lookup: http://www.bmwfault.codes/

2AAF | DME: Fuel pump, plausibility | msd80

29E0 | DME: Mixture control | msd80 [NOTE: Bentley Definitions below]
P0171 | 29E0 | System Too Lean (Bank 1)
P0172 | 29E0 | System Too Rich (Bank 1)

29E1 | DME: Mixture control 2 | msd80 [Bentley Below]
P0174 | 29E1 | System Too Lean (Bank 2)
P0175 | 29E1 | System Too Rich (Bank 2)

So we need to know: were BOTH banks too LEAN or too RICH. If TOO LEAN, in conjuction with the non-specific fuel pump "plausibility" code, that suggests that the in-tank or Low Pressure fuel pump is NOT keeping up, or the pressure regulator is faulty.

The N54 has BOTH a Low Pressure Fuel System Pressure Sensor and a High Pressure System Pressure Sensor as I understand it, and if you are able to monitor the inputs to the DME from each of those two sensors, you could better diagnose fuel pressure as a possible cause of your issue. Since you report the vehicle operating correctly for a time but that it "exhibited some wonkiness after pressing it" which I take to mean hesitation or stumbling at higher RPM/Load, that would be consistent with a progressive failure of the fuel pump to deliver sufficient fuel volume/ pressure at higher RPM.

Fuel Pump Module circuit:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...module/vFnKcli

Fault Code Definitions, Continued, 2nd group (4):
Those Codes are basically same Fuel Pump Plausibility Fault, with "misfire" on cylinders 1 & 2.

2AAF | DME: Fuel pump, plausibility | msd80

N54 | P0300 | 29CC | DME: Combustion misfires, several cylinders | MSD80

N54 | P0301 | 29CD | DME: Combustion misfires, cylinder 1 | MSD80

N54 | P0302 | 29CE | DME: Combustion misfires, cylinder 2 | MSD80

It would be helpful in the diagnosis to know at what engine conditions (Temp, Load, RPM) those "misfires" occurred (Freeze Frame Data). Although I'm NOT sure why misfire would ONLY occur on cylinders 1 & 2, it may be that condition is caused by TOO LEAN fueling. Also, what gap were new plugs set to? Were they pre-gapped and did you check/change the gap?

If you did NOT have any "misfire" codes until you replaced the Plugs, perhaps the coils are NOT properly seated on Plugs #1 & #2, or the connectors are NOT properly attached to those coils. Also it is possible the common ground wire (Brown) for cylinders 1 & 2 is loose where it attaches to the head, X6170 as shown in the following Links?
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e90-335i-lim/S941Cl1
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...nition/uuem8HV

I would suggest BEFORE throwing any more parts, take the time to understand what information is available from TIS, what informaton is saved in your DME, EKP, etc, and what Code Data & Parameters (Live Data Readout) a proper Scan Tool or Software, properly used, can tell you. Any questions, please ask. I'm just here to learn something.

George
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2019, 05:33 PM   #4
Sremenap
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog573 View Post
Did you try new vanos? Or just pull yours out soak them in gasoline for an hour. Blow them out and see if they work again. Sometimes they will start working again temporarily until you can get new ones
I havent tried that yet, but will today.
      08-05-2019, 05:56 PM   #5
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

What did you use to code the injectors?
      08-05-2019, 09:42 PM   #6
Sremenap
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3Rrrr View Post
What did you use to code the injectors?
i used a Foxwell nt510 scanner tool
      08-05-2019, 10:55 PM   #7
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep

29e0 and 29e1 can be caused by faulty pre-cat o2 sensors.
      08-06-2019, 02:38 AM   #8
Sremenap
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
yeah i should have said i changed out the bank 1 o2 sensor as well...that seemed to clear the first code. The most recent codes are the ones im dealing with now.
      08-06-2019, 05:36 AM   #9
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

2AAF by itself is generally not considered to be a problem. In conjunction with other fuel codes, it would be another story but alone, don't worry about it for now.

2AAF is the DME reporting that the EKPM is experiencing "abnormal" current draws. This code is most often observed when stock LPFPs are upgraded for higher flow but could also reflect an aging LPFP. Conceivably, a previous owner might have upgraded the pump (and other items under the hood).

As George indicated, INPA can be used to test fuel pressures but best way is to log with MHD or equivalent so that they can be tested with engine under load.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #10
Sremenap
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
update:

Replaced all the coils today and it fired up nicely but after driving for a small amount of time the misfires came back now i get an SES light and the engine at half power indicator on the dash. Codes were again 2AAF and multiple misfire codes. I am starting to think that the AAF code might be for real this time, and the LPFP is actually bad. I have not pulled and cleaned the VANOS yet, but i am running out of things i haven't tried.

My question at this point is this: Should i spend the 100 bucks at BMW to have it diagnosed or get a LPFP and give that a shot beforehand...

To recap i have replaced.

Bank 1 O2 sensor
Plugs
Coils
Fuel injectors

Thoughts?
      08-06-2019, 06:55 PM   #11
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thought #1 - if you think there may be a fuel pump problem, use the freely available diagnostic tools to measure the fuel pressures before spending any more money randomly replacing parts. Again, logging with MHD is the best and easiest way to get a full evaluation of pressures (and many other important operating parameters) but INPA can give you useful information as well.

Thought #2 - Revisit the codes. There is no way that a fuel pressure issue is going to consistently give misfires on particular cylinders. Which misfire codes exactly are you seeing now that all that stuff has been replaced? Previously you had cyl #1 and #2. Still the same or different? Anything else other than 2AAF?

Thought #3 - you're wasting your time and money at a dealership unless it is a very unusual one. They simply are not motivated to deal with this kind of issue in an economical manner. All they are going to do for $100 is read the codes and recommend a bunch of stuff you've already done.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 07:17 PM   #12
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep

Are you getting any other low pressure faults like 2A2D or 29F3 along with the 2AAF?
If not its unlikely a low pressure system issue
      08-06-2019, 07:21 PM   #13
Sremenap
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Thought #1 - if you think there may be a fuel pump problem, use the freely available diagnostic tools to measure the fuel pressures before spending any more money randomly replacing parts. Again, logging with MHD is the best and easiest way to get a full evaluation of pressures (and many other important operating parameters) but INPA can give you useful information as well.

Thought #2 - Revisit the codes. There is no way that a fuel pressure issue is going to consistently give misfires on particular cylinders. Which misfire codes exactly are you seeing now that all that stuff has been replaced? Previously you had cyl #1 and #2. Still the same or different? Anything else other than 2AAF?

Thought #3 - you're wasting your time and money at a dealership unless it is a very unusual one. They simply are not motivated to deal with this kind of issue in an economical manner. All they are going to do for $100 is read the codes and recommend a bunch of stuff you've already done.
Thats my thoughts as well on the Dealership.

Codes were misfire in cyl 2 and cyl 5, and a "multiple misfire code" as well as AAF.

As far as diagnostic tools i downloaded mikes EasyBMWTools and installed, but the version i have is all german and i am confused as to why. My version is 5.0.6 - is that the correct version?
      08-06-2019, 07:33 PM   #14
Sremenap
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3Rrrr View Post
Are you getting any other low pressure faults like 2A2D or 29F3 along with the 2AAF?
If not its unlikely a low pressure system issue
Yeah i dont have those accompanying codes.

Ok so i have MSD80 ready to go, its just in German. Do you guys have a vid you could point me to that will show what i need to capture to further diagnose?
      08-06-2019, 08:30 PM   #15
Sremenap
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
i genuinely hate not figuring things out on my own, but i am a tad stumped on INPA. I have installed it from Mikes Easy BMW tools installation. It works perfectly i think, but its in german after i designate the e90 chassis and choose engine. The files say they have english script files, but i do not see how to make this tool readable in english. I have been on many board and spent alot of time looking for how to do this to no avail.
      08-06-2019, 11:35 PM   #16
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
...Codes were misfire in cyl 2 and cyl 5, and a "multiple misfire code" as well as AAF.
As far as diagnostic tools i downloaded mikes EasyBMWTools and installed, but the version i have is all german and i am confused as to why. My version is 5.0.6 - is that the correct version?
It's NOT a matter of which version it is, but rather a matter of how much of the Menus and "Labels" of Parameters have been translated from German to English. Unfortunately SOME translation from German to English is required in ANY version, including the BimmerGeeks version, particularly Code Definitions and Details, but if you can just copy the screens and attach them to posts here, we can help with translation. THAT is the BEST way to get RELIABLE data.

Quote:
...so i have MSD80 ready to go, its just in German. Do you guys have a vid you could point me to that will show what i need to capture to further diagnose?
Quote:
...i am a tad stumped on INPA. I have installed it from Mikes Easy BMW tools installation. It works perfectly i think, but its in german after i designate the e90 chassis and choose engine. The files say they have english script files, but i do not see how to make this tool readable in english. I have been on many board and spent alot of time looking for how to do this to no avail.
I know its frustrating at first NOT having it in English, but the data you can get is so good, its WORTH translating with Google Translate:
https://translate.google.com/#view=h...te&sl=de&tl=en

As a first step, I would suggest seeing if you can't read Fault Codes in ALL Modules, using "Functional Jobs" as described in the attached "Tutorial" that has example screens, in 15 minutes or less, including reading the Tutorial. If you have INPA installed, it would be a shame NOT to see the finished product. Read the part about "Saving Screens" beginning at the bottom of page 1 of the Tutorial, so you can attach screens to your post here to get translation or other help.

When we see what modules have Fault Codes (particularly EKP & DME) then I can walk you through how to connect to DME & EKP to read Fault Code Details in those modules, and help you translate. We can then See Parameters in Real Time using F5 Status on either module, and hopefully figure out what is going on.

Don't expect one code number to definitely diagnose the issue; it WILL take an hour or two and some thought, but what you will learn in the process will be quite helpful in future diagnostics.

George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (682.2 KB, 192 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 04:56 AM   #17
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats my thoughts as well on the Dealership.

Codes were misfire in cyl 2 and cyl 5, and a "multiple misfire code" as well as AAF.

To clarify, initially it was 29CD and 29CE which are cylinder #1 and cylinder #2. Now it's #2 and #5?

To add to George's comment, some people prefer to use ISTA instead of BMW Standard Tools (the latter if which includes INPA). ISTA is much larger and more difficult to install. I personally find it less direct and thus more difficult to use but it does have some useful features like pictures of component locations and installation instructions (the same as what you'd find on newtis.info). It is also 100% English, as it was designed for dealers while BMW Standard Tools is for factory use
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 05:22 AM   #18
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
update:

I am starting to think that the AAF code might be for real this time, and the LPFP is actually bad.
The 2AAF code is "for real", it's just that it doesn't indicate a bad pump by itself. One more time. It is not significant by itself, in the absence of any other fuel pump related codes. This is not my opinion, it is a statement from BMW in a TIS bulletin. I don't have the link handy but you can find it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 02:53 PM   #19
Sremenap
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
It's NOT a matter of which version it is, but rather a matter of how much of the Menus and "Labels" of Parameters have been translated from German to English. Unfortunately SOME translation from German to English is required in ANY version, including the BimmerGeeks version, particularly Code Definitions and Details, but if you can just copy the screens and attach them to posts here, we can help with translation. THAT is the BEST way to get RELIABLE data.

I know its frustrating at first NOT having it in English, but the data you can get is so good, its WORTH translating with Google Translate:
https://translate.google.com/#view=h...te&sl=de&tl=en

As a first step, I would suggest seeing if you can't read Fault Codes in ALL Modules, using "Functional Jobs" as described in the attached "Tutorial" that has example screens, in 15 minutes or less, including reading the Tutorial. If you have INPA installed, it would be a shame NOT to see the finished product. Read the part about "Saving Screens" beginning at the bottom of page 1 of the Tutorial, so you can attach screens to your post here to get translation or other help.

When we see what modules have Fault Codes (particularly EKP & DME) then I can walk you through how to connect to DME & EKP to read Fault Code Details in those modules, and help you translate. We can then See Parameters in Real Time using F5 Status on either module, and hopefully figure out what is going on.

Don't expect one code number to definitely diagnose the issue; it WILL take an hour or two and some thought, but what you will learn in the process will be quite helpful in future diagnostics.

George
So when i download and print that INPA instruction set, my menus already dont look like that. I have downloaded the tools i found that most people instructed to do, but it appears that its wrong. I am happy to try INSTA as well, if someone can point me to that download and setup thread.

I'll use whatever tool makes the most sense and take the time it takes to get the info needed, i am not expecting a quick fix at all. But it seems i am already behind the 8 ball with the wrong version of INPA, and possibly should use a different tool.

A reminder also, i have the Foxwell NT510 which can do some live mointoring as well if that will help get the answers needed.
      08-07-2019, 02:54 PM   #20
Sremenap
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
To clarify, initially it was 29CD and 29CE which are cylinder #1 and cylinder #2. Now it's #2 and #5?

To add to George's comment, some people prefer to use ISTA instead of BMW Standard Tools (the latter if which includes INPA). ISTA is much larger and more difficult to install. I personally find it less direct and thus more difficult to use but it does have some useful features like pictures of component locations and installation instructions (the same as what you'd find on newtis.info). It is also 100% English, as it was designed for dealers while BMW Standard Tools is for factory use
I'm all for using a different tool. I appear to have the wrong, or old version of INPA.
      08-07-2019, 02:56 PM   #21
Sremenap
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
The 2AAF code is "for real", it's just that it doesn't indicate a bad pump by itself. One more time. It is not significant by itself, in the absence of any other fuel pump related codes. This is not my opinion, it is a statement from BMW in a TIS bulletin. I don't have the link handy but you can find it.
Right. I am aware the code by itself has a white paper on it that says ignore it unless it is accompanied with other codes. My problem has always been accompanied with the other codes that i have put in this thread. I am just trying to make sense of the group of codes presenting themselves.
      08-07-2019, 04:04 PM   #22
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Right. I am aware the code by itself has a white paper on it that says ignore it unless it is accompanied with other codes. My problem has always been accompanied with the other codes that i have put in this thread. I am just trying to make sense of the group of codes presenting themselves.
No. As per the TIS bulletin, 2AAF must be accompanied by other fuel pump codes before BMW would consider pump replacement. The other codes in your list are not fuel pump or fuel pressure codes.

If you think you have a wrong or old version of BMW Standard Tools, download from bimmergeeks.com
Appreciate 0