F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Help Please? Banging Noise In Rear Suspension
ARMA SPEED

08-02-2019, 08:01 PM   #1
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Help Please? Banging Noise In Rear Suspension

I'm suddenly getting a banging noise in my rear suspension every time I hit a bump. There is nothing at all in the trunk. I checked to make sure the battery bracket is tightened down, so that isn't moving. I called my independent BMW shop and they speculated that it could be a rear shock mount (see #8 in the attached diagram). Has anyone had a rear shock mount go bad and did you get this same symptom? If that is it, are there any heavier duty replacements that I should consider? Anyone have any other ideas as to what it could be?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Car details: 2015 335i x-drive, auto trans, non-adaptive suspension, 30k miles on car

Rear Suspension Mods: only 15k miles on Koni Special Active rear shocks, Eibach mild lowering springs (0.6" drop in rear) and H&R rear sway bar.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
How tight did you tighten the nut that holds the shock to the top mount (item 11)? If you take the shock out do you still hear the noise? Are the end link nuts still tight?

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 08:19 PM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
How tight did you tighten the nut that holds the shock to the top mount (item 11)? If you take the shock out do you still hear the noise? Are the end link nuts still tight?
Shocks, springs and sways were installed last year by an experienced BMW tech. (I don't have tools or garage any longer to do much work myself.) Other than what I already mentioned, no other troubleshooting has been done yet. Taking it to the Indy next week. Any parts I should order ahead of time?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 09:27 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Don't order any parts until and unless you find out what the problem is.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 03:40 AM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Don't order any parts until and unless you find out what the problem is.
Good advice, Bill. I was thinking in terms of if there was a likely part that had an upgrade. For instance, if I had a problem and the likely culprit was a DV, then I'd order a DV+ to have on hand to install while they had it apart.

A stock part like the rear upper shock mounts that BMW might list for $105 each and I might be able to get for $75 in three days. There is no telling what the local dealer's price might be since they don't have to follow BMW list price. They once quoted me, with a straight face, $40 each for an N55 spark plug.

I'd like to have any likely parts on hand for when the Indy has the car in the air and I'm paying for their labor. I wouldn't order anything that I could not return.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 08:08 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Murphy's Law corollary #69 guarantees that whatever parts you order in advance won't be needed, while you'll fail to order the parts that are needed.
Appreciate 2
johnung4528.00