E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > ABS Module and code help

08-02-2019, 10:09 AM   #1
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

ABS Module and code help

My car currently has the ABS, Traction Control, and DSC warning lights on. I took my car to a mechanic who says he gets the 5DF0 and 5D51 ABS module codes and can't clear them and that I need a new ABS module. If so, I will probably have it rebuilt from Module Masters for $250. In addition to these codes, I also get the following codes off my Cobb AP:

U0DAD
U0DA1
U0D98
U0D9C
U0DA5
U0D95

Does anybody know what these codes reference? Is it possible that all my issues could be caused by a blown fuse? I have a repair manual and was trying to find the ABS module fuse but it's kind of confusing, my car is a 2007 335i with build date of 03/07. Does anybody know where the ABS module fuse would be located so I can check it?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25 View Post
My car currently has the ABS, Traction Control, and DSC warning lights on. I took my car to a mechanic who says he gets the 5DF0 and 5D51 ABS module codes and can't clear them and that I need a new ABS module. If so, I will probably have it rebuilt from Module Masters for $250. In addition to these codes, I also get the following codes off my Cobb AP:
U0DAD
U0DA1
U0D98
U0D9C
U0DA5
U0D95
[1] Does anybody know what these codes reference?...my car is a 2007 335i with build date of 03/07.
[2] Does anybody know where the ABS module fuse would be located so I can check it?
1) I'm NOT familiar with Cobb AP, but if the Codes are an odd mix of OBD Code terminology (U-code designation for Communication) and Hex codes as used by BMW, then it is conceivable that if you substitute "C" for "U0" you get "CDAD" for your first code, through "CD95" as your last, and plugging those "Ccodes" into BMW Fault Code Lookup gives the results found below, ALL of which ARE in Fact Communication Errors.

ALL of those errors are improper Message received by DME FROM DSC, so given your symptoms, there is a HIGH degree of probability that those definitions are correct. I would ask the shop that read the two codes from DSC Memory if he also either read ALL Codes in ALL Modules (which is normally the first diagnostic step using INPA or ISTA), OR if he read codes in DME Memory, where those codes would be found. Your 2007 335i uses MSD80 DME as shown in the Code Definitions below.

2) Your 335i E92, built 3/2007 has 3 fuses powering the DSC Module as shown in the following TIS circuit diagram, and F20 is the most likely suspect, as that powers the Electronics of the DSC Module, as opposed to the Pump Motor (based upon the low Amperage - 5A). That F20 fuse circuit & Installation Location are also linked below:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ol-dsc/iDP8oTz
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e92-335i-cou/kVtAuzb
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...cou/1VnYiKV68A

Here are the Fault Code Definitions per BMW Fault Code Lookup:
http://www.bmwfault.codes/

5DF0 | DSC: Hydraulic unit: pump motor | dsc_85 | Dynamic stability control MK60 E5
5D51 | ARS: Supply, pressure sensor, rear axle | ars_60 | Dynamic drive (???)
CDAD | Message error (request, wheel torque, drivetrain, 0xBF), DME receiver, DSC / LDM transmitter | msd80
CDA1 | Message (steering wheel angle, 0xC4) incorrect, receiver DME, transmitter DSC | msd80
CD98 | Message error (DSC torque request, 0xB6), DME receiver, AHM / DSC transmitter | msd80
CD9C | Message (speed, 0x1A0) incorrect, receiver DME, transmitter DSC | msd80
CDA5 | Message (status, DSC, 0x19E) incorrect, receiver DME, transmitter DSC | msd80
CD95 | Message (operation, cruise control/ACC, 0x194) incorrect, receiver DME, transmitter DSC / SZL / LWS / ACC | msd80

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 02:14 PM   #3
charlieb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Manual

May not be your issue but it was a simple fix for my car when I was getting the trifecta of abs lights on the dash. Can you check wheel speed sensors with your reader?
I almost sent my abs in for repair until I noticed 1 wheel speed sensor was bad. In my case it was the rear left so I would get the trifecta of abs warning lights along with no speedometer. The right rear sensor is for cruise control. It wasn’t until replaced the sensors that the abs warnings went away.
Also note, on my car if I just put the sensor in it would get the face of it rubbed off causing it to no longer work. I had to shim the sensors away about 1/16”.
Hope you get it resolved. I was sure I was going to have to send out the module. Really happy I didn’t.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 03:10 PM   #4
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks gbalthrop! .....and charlieb, i did see your thread and wheel speed sensor fix.....I'll try to have a look at my wheel speed sensors physically but wouldn't I be getting "wheel speed sensor" codes if one was bad?
Will also be checking the fuses

Last edited by nikitino25; 08-02-2019 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 05:32 PM   #5
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep

To give you guys a little background, I recently had a mice problem with my car and saw where they had chewed through some wiring above both rear fender liners. My buddy and I soldered and shrink wrapped both sides to repair all the damage and the mechanic says that this wiring is related to wheel speed sensors but he didn't see any trouble with them and the wiring we fixed still looks good.....there was also evidence of mice camping out near the ABS pump itself in the engine bay but the wires in this area look fine.....
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 06:01 PM   #6
Mpaula
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieb View Post
May not be your issue but it was a simple fix for my car when I was getting the trifecta of abs lights on the dash. Can you check wheel speed sensors with your reader?
I almost sent my abs in for repair until I noticed 1 wheel speed sensor was bad. In my case it was the rear left so I would get the trifecta of abs warning lights along with no speedometer. The right rear sensor is for cruise control. It wasn’t until replaced the sensors that the abs warnings went away.
Also note, on my car if I just put the sensor in it would get the face of it rubbed off causing it to no longer work. I had to shim the sensors away about 1/16”.
Hope you get it resolved. I was sure I was going to have to send out the module. Really happy I didn’t.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 07:55 PM   #7
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yeah the Cobb doesn't give me any wheel speed sensor codes but my cruise control doesn't work either now that I think about it...i'll try to get a better scanner and look for those codes and also just physically look at the sensors/wiring connections.....
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 08:33 PM   #8
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep

One more question: I found some inexpensive used ABS modules ($170 or so); if I go this route, would the new (used) module need to be coded to my car? What if I have mine rebuilt, would it need to be re-coded then ($250 plus shipping)?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 03:15 AM   #9
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i, FBO, m3 control

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25 View Post
One more question: I found some inexpensive used ABS modules ($170 or so); if I go this route, would the new (used) module need to be coded to my car? What if I have mine rebuilt, would it need to be re-coded then ($250 plus shipping)?
I bought a used module on eBay and then had MM rebuild the pump because I couldn't have a solid 1.5 wk down time.

I detached the rebuilt pump and hooked it up to my existing module on my car so I didn't have to recode. I have my original pump and the other module at home if you want to buy it cheap. Then you can ship the pump to MM for a rebuild, not have down time.
Appreciate 0