BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-31-2019, 03:27 PM   #1
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

X3M40i compared to X3MC suspension

For those who have taken delivery or test driven an X3MC and are also familiar with an X3M40i with adaptive suspension on 21s- Is the X3MC in Comfort suspension rougher than the aforementioned M40i in Sport plus? I ask because I was quite comfortable driving my M40i here on that setting, but all the reviews complaining about the harshness of the X3MC have me a bit worried. Can anyone speak to this comparison?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 06:21 PM   #2
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
For those who have taken delivery or test driven an X3MC and are also familiar with an X3M40i with adaptive suspension on 21s- Is the X3MC in Comfort suspension rougher than the aforementioned M40i in Sport plus? I ask because I was quite comfortable driving my M40i here on that setting, but all the reviews complaining about the harshness of the X3MC have me a bit worried. Can anyone speak to this comparison?
don't have an M40i but my guess is if you're ok in sport plus then you should be ok in comfort mode
      08-03-2019, 12:55 PM   #3
sprokai
Lurker
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT LSB

Quote:
I test drove a non CP X3M this morning and I have a 2019 M40i. I believe the suspension is basically the same as the CP version (but could be wrong). I thought the suspension was one tighter in each mode. What I mean is that Comfort in the X3M was roughly equivalent to Sport Mode in the M40i. Sport Mode in the X3M was like Sport Plus in the M40i and so on. I drove on mostly decent suburban roads but also on some pretty rough surfaces too.

I slammed it through a few roundabouts in 2nd gear and it cornered more flat and was easier to get rotation than the M40i. I felt like the turn in and steering feel was noticeably sharper too.

I drove my 2018 M3 with CP right after, and yeah, it's a great performance SUV, but it's not an M3...

[Edit: The CP version has "Model-specific anti-roll bars (larger bars on the Competition models)" Other suspension bits are the same.]
Appreciate 2
GianniB35.00
2una1.50
      08-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #4
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprokai View Post
I test drove a non CP X3M this morning and I have a 2019 M40i. I believe the suspension is basically the same as the CP version (but could be wrong). I thought the suspension was one tighter in each mode. What I mean is that Comfort in the X3M was roughly equivalent to Sport Mode in the M40i. Sport Mode in the X3M was like Sport Plus in the M40i and so on. I drove on mostly decent suburban roads but also on some pretty rough surfaces too.

I slammed it through a few roundabouts in 2nd gear and it cornered more flat and was easier to get rotation than the M40i. I felt like the turn in and steering feel was noticeably sharper too.

I drove my 2018 M3 with CP right after, and yeah, it's a great performance SUV, but it's not an M3...
Thanks so much for your perspective. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Do you have stock run flat 21s on your M40i and adaptive suspension? I could certainly live with my X3MC feeling like my old M40i was in minimum sport mode if that's the case. It would be a bit rougher on some parts, but I really wasn't keen on the body roll of the M40i in corners at speed despite the adaptive suspension. I've never owned an M3 (although I wanted one for years). Now that I could afford one, I find myself needing an SUV. Hopefully, the X3MC I have on the way will adequately bridge those two worlds. Thanks again for your opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 02:40 PM   #5
sprokai
Lurker
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprokai View Post

Thanks so much for your perspective. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Do you have stock run flat 21s on your M40i and adaptive suspension? I could certainly live with my X3MC feeling like my old M40i was in minimum sport mode if that's the case. It would be a bit rougher on some parts, but I really wasn't keen on the body roll of the M40i in corners at speed despite the adaptive suspension. I've never owned an M3 (although I wanted one for years). Now that I could afford one, I find myself needing an SUV. Hopefully, the X3MC I have on the way will adequately bridge those two worlds. Thanks again for your opinion.
Yes, I have the stock run flat 21" tire/wheel combo and adaptive suspension. I usually drive the M40i in Sport/Sport/Comfort, but if I'm just tooling around or feeling passive I use Adaptive. Much prefer the Sport modes.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 02:45 PM   #6
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

The X3MC is significantly stiffer and more firm than the M40i. Even on the sportiest setting the M40i takes bumps better but less precision and more body roll. Also the M seats are very firm and somewhat snug. The X3MC is made for smaller people and good roads and is much more a M3 than it is a X3. Best way I can put it.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5888.50
      08-03-2019, 03:13 PM   #7
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Correct me if I'm wrong but the M40i adaptive suspension only has two modes Comfort and Sport. If you go into Individual mode configuration there's only two options for suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 03:42 PM   #8
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWModel3 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but the M40i adaptive suspension only has two modes Comfort and Sport. If you go into Individual mode configuration there's only two options for suspension.
You are correct. It's been several months since my M40i was stolen and demolished. I've been focused on the X3MC since then, but if I think back, the suspension button had only 2 modes: sport or comfort. And there was a significant difference between the two. Thanks for reminding me.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 03:44 PM   #9
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
The X3MC is significantly stiffer and more firm than the M40i. Even on sport plus the M40i takes bumps better but less precision and more body roll. Also the M seats are very firm and somewhat snug. The X3MC is made for smaller people and good roads and is much more a M3 than it is a X3. Best way I can put it.

Noushy
Thank you for your highly respected perspective as well. I'm an aging, stocky 5'9"; it should fit me well!

Last edited by MrItaly; 08-03-2019 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 03:59 PM   #10
MrItaly
Major
Rep

I had forgotten about the seat effect as well. I ordered ventilated seats on my M40i only to discover that it resulted in a totally different seat without any side bolstering. It was pretty soft as BMWs go.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 05:19 PM   #11
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Quote:
You may be right, on the Alpina it has sport and sport plus and individual. I cannot remember all the modes on the M40i. My sister has a X4 M40i, I will try to do a direct same day comparison.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 05:44 PM   #12
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
As I shared in my earlier 'X3MC from X3M40i perspective' thread (and to echo JohnNick72's comment on this issue: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=10 ), you'll find a range of answers to your question as this is a highly subjective area. It seems yujini also has continued concerns with this specific question as well, no doubt raised by the markedly varied responses you've read.

To add clarity to what I've previously written, we ordered both of our G01 X3 M40i models with 19" performance RFTs as we were concerned the 21" wheels might have too harsh a ride. Our 2018 has the regular suspension, the 2019 has the Adaptive. They both have the ventilated seats.

FWIW, will again mention that the 30 minute M Town test drive with the X3MC presented no issues or concerns to me WRT ride comfort in direct comparison to the 25K mile experience with our M40i models. If anything, one would expect the 19" tires should provide a 'softer' ride which I should've noted if the ride was too harsh. It wasn't, and we are usually in either Comfort or Adaptive with our G01s. I'm 6'0", 170 lbs if that helps in your personal body size/wt comparison.

Looking forward to our week 38 X3MC build without any reservations, and hope you find your order is all you are hoping for.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 07:19 AM   #13
sprokai
Lurker
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You are correct. It's been several months since my M40i was stolen and demolished. I've been focused on the X3MC since then, but if I think back, the suspension button had only 2 modes: sport or comfort. And there was a significant difference between the two. Thanks for reminding me.
Yeah, sorry for the misleading comments. I was out in the M40i last night and right, only two suspension modes. Anyway, I think you get my meaning. Others have thought the difference was more noticeable, but this is all purely subjective info. Go drive one ASAP. You'll love it!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 07:59 AM   #14
MrItaly
Major
Rep

The M40i was a rare beast in Italy: the X3MC even more so (although my sales guy sent me a photo of a dealer demo that arrived in Verona last week). I think I'm gonna have to wait until mine arrives to drive one. On that note, it should have rolled out of the factory on Friday. Now the month and a half wait to get to Italy begins......
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 10:59 AM   #15
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
I had forgotten about the seat effect as well. I ordered ventilated seats on my M40i only to discover that it resulted in a totally different seat without any side bolstering. It was pretty soft as BMWs go.
Same here. I should've refused delivery. Still mad about it. Hope ur insurance took care of you!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #16
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floating.spirit View Post
Same here. I should've refused delivery. Still mad about it. Hope ur insurance took care of you!
Insurance did me right and paid out 95 percent of the new price I had just paid 12 months prior with 8k miles on it. The theft was in reality a joy ride gone bad, an inside job, so I presented the car wash owner a bill for the remaining 5 percent, a rental car for 3 months from order to delivery, and payment of 4/5ths of the remaining prepaid maintenance tied to the destroyed car's VIN. in the end, I didn't lose a dime on the deal, and it opened the path to upgrade to the X3MC paying just the difference in price from a new M40i. I made lemonade outta lemons. Now let's hope the upgrade was worth it and I'm not regretting just getting another M40i. I doubt that'll be the case.....
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 01:36 AM   #17
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

my guess... if you have to ask about comfort dont get the x3m

for sale: 2014 X1 M sport with warranty
      06-20-2020, 12:18 AM   #18
sasdev
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Porsche 911

i took delivery of a X3 M on June 1. The suspension, even in comfort mode, is overly harsh, chatters and bounces the car around. It is unpleasant to drive. I actually tried to return the car, but it was going to be expensive. I also have a 1970 911S and 2011 911 S. Both of these cars have a better ride than the BMW which is surprising. The X3M suspension is just not right. I have asked the sales manager at Valencia BMW to contact his BMW rep about a possible fix, have not heard back. If anyone knows of, or learns of a suspension fix, please contact me. sas@sasdevelopment.net
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      06-20-2020, 07:27 AM   #19
FrankieNuo
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' G80

Garage List
2023 Bmw M3  [8.36]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasdev View Post
i took delivery of a X3 M on June 1. The suspension, even in comfort mode, is overly harsh, chatters and bounces the car around. It is unpleasant to drive. I actually tried to return the car, but it was going to be expensive. I also have a 1970 911S and 2011 911 S. Both of these cars have a better ride than the BMW which is surprising. The X3M suspension is just not right. I have asked the sales manager at Valencia BMW to contact his BMW rep about a possible fix, have not heard back. If anyone knows of, or learns of a suspension fix, please contact me. sas@sasdevelopment.net
If you think this is hard, don't ever buy a "sports car."
As for improving "comfort," the mss springs seem to work well.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12803.00
dhurng407.00
      06-20-2020, 07:45 AM   #20
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasdev View Post
As FrankieNuo said.
MSS Spring that I've been using, sells, and installed been a great solution to most.
Some says too soft, some says perfect.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 07:47 AM   #21
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieNuo View Post
If you think this is hard, don't ever buy a "sports car."
As for improving "comfort," the mss springs seem to work well.
Don’t people test drive before ordering cars these days? I don’t understand.
Appreciate 5
forza19763391.00
Will Pwr747.50
FrankieNuo1210.00
dhurng407.00
      06-20-2020, 02:08 PM   #22
NEIPA
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i and 535d

kinda the same

I was looking to replace my 2014 X3 35 as my daily driver. I did "extended" test drives of the X3MC, X3M, and X3 M40i.

IMO, the M40i in sport+ is about like the Ms in comfort, but the rigid Ms transmit more of the road imperfections (I feel the X3MC is the most ridged of the three with no data to back this up). I liked the M's ride and handling unless I was on the repeatedly-patched roads in NC - then I felt the suspension in comfort was intrusive. But, an M is not your everyday car. If you don't mind it, get the M. Provides a lot of high-rev fun.

I got the 2020 40i.

What did you end up getting?
Appreciate 1
DCCane33.50