E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Center Dash air vent by the center speaker

07-30-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
335ivin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Center Dash air vent by the center speaker

How do you disable the air coming out of the vent that is located by the center speaker?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 03:06 PM   #2
pedro2u
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 M3 6MT, '08 E92 335Xi

Garage List
Not sure what you mean. You mean #1 below - the vent control wheels?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 03:19 PM   #3
335ivin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro2u View Post
Not sure what you mean. You mean #1 below - the vent control wheels?

No the vent by the windshield on top of the dash between the center speaker
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 04:12 PM   #4
pedro2u
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 M3 6MT, '08 E92 335Xi

Garage List
oh, OK. Just went out and tried it on my 08 E92 335Xi. The middle airflow button on the left (with the arrow pointing towards the passengers face) turns off the air from the vents at the speakers

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 06:07 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ivin View Post
How do you disable the air coming out of the vent that is located by the center speaker?
Short Answer: You probably don't want to, the way the system is designed.

On my 2007 328xit, the two vents on TOP of the dash, in the center are supplied by the SAME Control Flap (the Ventilation Flap) that supplies the four Facia vents on the Dash facing the front seat occupants. You can prove that by closing the four knurled knob for each of those four vents. With ALL FOUR CLOSED, a LOT of air is delivered from those two top vents which have NO means of being closed.

So if you are getting TOO MUCH air from those two top vents, just make sure each of the four facia vent "shut-offs" is OPEN.

There are three buttons on the Left of the A/C Control Panel, (1) Upper [Windscreen Vents], (2) Middle [4 facia & 2 upper dash vents] and (3) Lower [Footwell Vents]. In "Auto" mode, NONE of those three buttons has a lighted LED, and the IHKA Module distributes air from the various vents as it is programmed, based upon Thermostat settings and Interior Temp Sensor and other temp sensor inputs. IF you press one or any of those three buttons, you OVER-RIDE the Auto Mode, and can limit air flow from "unselected" vents.

If you press ONE of the three buttons on the left of the Panel, such as the Lower/Footwell button, the LED for that button lights, the "Auto" button LED is no longer lighted, and NO AIR comes from the 4 facia vents OR the 2 top-of-dash vent. Problem is: NO AIR comes from the Defrost/ Windscreen vents either. That may be fine for Cold weather where you want heat on the feet, and hot air rises within the Passenger Compartment, but NOT-so-good for A/C in Hot Weather.

You can press the Upper/Windscreen Vent button on the Left, and ADD air delivery from the Windscreen Vents, and still have NO air delivered from the 2 vents on top of the dash, but NO air delivery from the 4 facia vents either. If you press the Facia Vent button on the left, you are back to where you started in "Auto" mode with some air from ALL the Vents, without "Auto" control until you press the "Auto" button again, at which point the "Auto" LED lights, and the 3 LEDS on Left are no longer lighted. Hope that's clear.

George
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 11:49 AM   #6
335ivin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

gbalthrop/pedro2u

Its 100-degree weather here in Houston and wanted to close those top vents so I could get that air flowing to the front 4 vents. It all makes sense now, I thought the two TOP dash vents had their own Flap, I now see that is not possible. Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 06:57 PM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ivin View Post
...Its 100-degree weather here in Houston and wanted to close those top vents so I could get that air flowing to the front 4 vents. It all makes sense now, I thought the two TOP dash vents had their own Flap, I now see that is not possible.
Duct tape -- preferably BLACK.
Appreciate 0