E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Are E90 N51 and N52 valve covers the same?

07-29-2019, 08:51 AM   #1
Ironhead Dave
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i X-drive

Are E90 N51 and N52 valve covers the same?

I need to change the valve cover on my wife’s 2011 328xi. It has a N51. I have changed the valve cover on my 328xi with a N52. I have looked to see if there are different part numbers for the valve covers but cannot find anything definitive. Do they use the same valve cover?

Also, is there trustworthy aftermarket ones available or do I stick with OEM. Hers is warped which I hear is a known issue. I changed the gasket a few months ago and it was fine for a while and started leaking again. I had the same issue with mine and it actually turned out where the air passages where starting to break loose and it was causing a vacuum leak. We have nearly identical mileage on our cars so I figure it is a good time to just put on new.

Last edited by Ironhead Dave; 07-29-2019 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 08:36 PM   #2
Franki Louda
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 328i N51

Re: N51 & N52 difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead Dave View Post
I need to change the valve cover on my wife’s 2011 328xi. It has a N51. I have changed the valve cover on my 328xi with a N52. I have looked to see if there are different part numbers for the valve covers but cannot find anything definitive. Do they use the same valve cover?

Also, is there trustworthy aftermarket ones available or do I stick with OEM. Hers is warped which I hear is a known issue. I changed the gasket a few months ago and it was fine for a while and started leaking again. I had the same issue with mine and it actually turned out where the air passages where starting to break loose and it was causing a vacuum leak. We have nearly identical mileage on our cars so I figure it is a good time to just put on new.
The N51 and N52 Valve cover are the same. Only difference in engines are the N51 is SULEV and the N52 is not. Good luck. And before doing any work to it make sure you read up on the Valvetronic Motor. Do your research.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 01:37 PM   #3
Ironhead Dave
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i X-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franki Louda View Post
The N51 and N52 Valve cover are the same. Only difference in engines are the N51 is SULEV and the N52 is not. Good luck. And before doing any work to it make sure you read up on the Valvetronic Motor. Do your research.
I have changed the gaskets on both already so I am familiar with the Valvetronic system. Thanks for the heads up though. It can really mess things up if it is not right.
Appreciate 0