E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Keyfob stopped working...

07-28-2019, 05:27 PM   #1
xjackhunter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Keyfob stopped working...

Hello,
I recently had a tire replaced and upon getting my car back, my key stopped working. I replaced the battery to no avail. Does anyone know what could have gone wrong or what I should do to fix my problem?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 01:04 PM   #2
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjackhunter View Post
Hello,
I recently had a tire replaced and upon getting my car back, my key stopped working. I replaced the battery to no avail. Does anyone know what could have gone wrong or what I should do to fix my problem?
Thanks!
Check your fuses for a blown fuse:

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 05:47 PM   #3
xjackhunter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Quote:
Hello,
Thanks!
Check your fuses for a blown fuse:

I checked all of the fuses related to the key and none of them were blown... any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 08:22 AM   #4
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Quote:
I checked all of the fuses related to the key and none of them were blown... any other ideas?
Door actuators. Does the central locking button work consistently? meaning get in the car and unlock and lock the doors 10 times. Does it click lock and click unlock each time? or is it sticking some of the the times?

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
xjackhunter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Quote:
Door actuators. Does the central locking button work consistently? meaning get in the car and unlock and lock the doors 10 times. Does it click lock and click unlock each time? or is it sticking some of the the times?
The locks work fine, the key just doesn't do anything and I can't use it to start the car without the key in the ignition anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
1sicke92
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 N54

I had this happen to me last month, even though BMW says that the key fobs are charged while driving I doubt that because of what happened to me. Long story short, I used my spare key and the car would unlock and lock remotely like it's supposed to. For some reason my key fob just ran out of juice or whatever. It still worked if I put it in the ignition and started the car. I have no idea why this is though...
      08-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #7
xjackhunter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sicke92 View Post
I had this happen to me last month, even though BMW says that the key fobs are charged while driving I doubt that because of what happened to me. Long story short, I used my spare key and the car would unlock and lock remotely like it's supposed to. For some reason my key fob just ran out of juice or whatever. It still worked if I put it in the ignition and started the car. I have no idea why this is though...
I replaced the battery in the key to no avail. Unfortunately I don't have a spare so I guess I'm shit out of luck unless someone smarter than me has an idea.😂
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #8
1sicke92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I replaced the battery in the key to no avail. Unfortunately I don't have a spare so I guess I'm shit out of luck unless someone smarter than me has an idea.😂
Sorry to hear that man. I hope you get it figured out as I have no idea what could be happening? Maybe the receiver?
      08-09-2019, 01:48 PM   #9
xjackhunter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sicke92 View Post
Quote:
Sorry to hear that man. I hope you get it figured out as I have no idea what could be happening? Maybe the receiver?
I don't know. I'll have to research where that is located. Really want to avoid visiting the stealership if possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #10
1sicke92
Captain
Rep

I think, if I am remembering correctly, near the third brake light on the rear windshield. Try that and see if it works or just got to a local BMW indy. Don't go to the dealer.
      08-10-2019, 12:11 AM   #11
Kaz26
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Alpinweiß Sedan

Have you tried to resync/reprogram it yet? It's possible the battery died, then after you put the new battery in, it lost memory and needs to be resynced to the car. I've heard that these keys resync once you put them into the slot in the car, others have said you need to program them. I will try to find the procedure. What model car is yours?

Also, if you find out what is wrong with it, please post the results.

Thanks

Last edited by Kaz26; 08-10-2019 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 12:54 AM   #12
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
...I recently had a tire replaced and upon getting my car back, my key stopped working. I replaced the battery to no avail. Does anyone know what could have gone wrong or what I should do to fix my problem? Thanks!
Quote:
Quote:
I don't know. I'll have to research where that is located. Really want to avoid visiting the stealership if possible.
I presume this is the 2008 335i E93 you identified in prior thread? If so, here is the TIS circuit diagram for the Remote Entry which appears to use the Interior Rear View Mirror as the FBD Receiver, which is powered via fuse F63:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...te-key/vSvyPqq

Here's the F63 circuit; if F63 blown, you would have NO gear lighting (on left of shift lever):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e93-335i-cab/jeQATDZ

In the sedan & wagon, the Aerial Diversity, located above the rear glass, contains the FBD Receiver, but that does NOT appear to be the case for the Convertible. Here's YOUR Aerial Diversity circuit:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...memory/jVv0rwL

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 12:57 AM   #13
xjackhunter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Welp... my issue has been solved.
I had my rear view mirror harness unplugged due to an issue I was having and apparently that was the cause. I was working on the mirror today and plugged it back in... this immediately solved the problem.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time, but I appreciate all of your help.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0