Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Intelligent assistant and hard disk space

07-18-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Intelligent assistant and hard disk space

So, can you ask the intelligent assistant to active/deactivate car safety systems (e.g. Hey BMW, turn off adaptive cruise control or turn off lane assist)?

Also, how much space do you get on the internal hard drive for copying audio content from a USB drive?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 04:25 AM   #2
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e (g20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
So, can you ask the intelligent assistant to active/deactivate car safety systems (e.g. Hey BMW, turn off adaptive cruise control or turn off lane assist)?

Also, how much space do you get on the internal hard drive for copying audio content from a USB drive?
Why copying???
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
16 gigs for thumb drive - 2.5 pounds it's like almost unlimited number of tracks (3500...)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 04:30 AM   #3
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snusnu View Post
Quote:

Why copying???
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...UTF8&psc=1
16 gigs for thumb drive - 2.5 pounds it's like almost unlimited number of tracks (3500...)
Quote:
Quote:

Why copying???
From what I gather there is only one device USB socket (others are all charge only) so I'll have my phone plugged into that for CarPlay. Want somewhere to store my HD music collection (which is about 80Gb, mostly 24-bit 96-192KHz recordings, a typical 5 minute song will be about 70Mb). Wondering how much of it will fit. My 2008 Merc CLS only had an 8Gb "hard drive". Hoping things have moved on since then!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 06:26 AM   #4
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
From what I gather there is only one device USB socket (others are all charge only) so I'll have my phone plugged into that for CarPlay. Want somewhere to store my HD music collection (which is about 80Gb, mostly 24-bit 96-192KHz recordings, a typical 5 minute song will be about 70Mb). Wondering how much of it will fit. My 2008 Merc CLS only had an 8Gb "hard drive". Hoping things have moved on since then!
Spoken with the Genius folks, it has 50Gb of space to import content. 34Gb for personal audio (imported from USB drive) and 16Gb for BMW Connected content (Deezer etc.) Not quite as much as I'd hope for but more than 8Gb at least :-)

Also you can't control the safety features using voice control, only via iDrive/menus. Bummer, but I suppose it stops the kids doing it :-)

Oh, also looks like CarPlay will run over Bluetooth, according to the manual. That might help, if I can put up with Bluetooth audio quality... ;-)

Last edited by tricky6; 07-19-2019 at 07:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 08:55 AM   #5
Pentop63
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Quote:
Spoken with the Genius folks, it has 50Gb of space to import content. 34Gb for personal audio (imported from USB drive) and 16Gb for BMW Connected content (Deezer etc.) Not quite as much as I'd hope for but more than 8Gb at least :-)

Also you can't control the safety features using voice control, only via iDrive/menus. Bummer, but I suppose it stops the kids doing it :-)

Oh, also looks like CarPlay will run over Bluetooth, according to the manual. That might help, if I can put up with Bluetooth audio quality... ;-)
CarPlay works okay via Bluetooth but you can also wirelessly charge if you have the charging pad fitted which is great as no wires to fiddle with and frees up a USB port which I have a 64gb USB disk plugged in full of tunes. Will be ditching the CarPlay when free subscription runs out next year and go with the BMW media app which is okay but not as good as CarPlay with Apple Music.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 10:30 PM   #6
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why copying???
Quote:
Quote:

Why copying???
CarPlay does not work over USB. It uses Bluetooth and a wifi connection to your car. It occasionally (and randomly) will not connect.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 10:54 AM   #7
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why copying???
Quote:
Quote:

Why copying???
CarPlay does not work over USB. It uses Bluetooth and a wifi connection to your car. It occasionally (and randomly) will not connect.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why copying???
Quote:
Quote:

Why copying???
Interesting, I assumed you had the option of both connection types. I've never had a car that could maintain a Bluetooth connection for a long period and there must be a pretty high data exchange to run CarPlay. Is that what it uses Wi-Fi for perhaps? I'm running iOS 13 beta and the CarPlay UI has changed quite a bit, seems pretty stable in my Mondeo but it uses USB.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 12:00 PM   #8
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why copying???
Quote:
Quote:

Why copying???
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why copying???
Quote:
Quote:

Why copying???
Interesting, I assumed you had the option of both connection types. I've never had a car that could maintain a Bluetooth connection for a long period and there must be a pretty high data exchange to run CarPlay. Is that what it uses Wi-Fi for perhaps? I'm running iOS 13 beta and the CarPlay UI has changed quite a bit, seems pretty stable in my Mondeo but it uses USB.
I really don't understand why BMW removed the USB connection option. Today, for the first time, I experienced the issue where the BC button stops working after CarPlay connects.

And, after it finally worked for a couple of weeks, BMW Connected has once again stopped working. My car hasn't updated it's location in 3+ days. BMW really needs to get their shit together.
Appreciate 0