07-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #1
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Battery Tender?

We've used a battery tender/trickle charger in the past, on a number of previous autos, including Audi and BMW. They're very handy for topping off the battery, even in a garaged car, and for running the electronics - for a map update for example - without discharging the battery. The G05 I understand has some sort of Li-Ion battery as well as the main battery, and my question is if anyone has had experience using a trickle charger on the new X5 - does the lithium battery need recharging? Does a normal trickle charger affect operations? Will it damage the battery? Appreciate any insight....
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 08:44 PM   #2
Fuzzy Master
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

You might want to have a look at the thread here;

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1573753

...and then maybe follow up with MystroX5 for more info...
Appreciate 1
Paladin15457.50
      07-16-2019, 11:16 PM   #3
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Master View Post
You might want to have a look at the thread here;

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1573753

...and then maybe follow up with MystroX5 for more info...
Thanks! Agree with everything MystroX5 posted - modern electronics in cars - and modern meaning anything with tech in the last 5 years or so - puts a drain on batteries that wasn't there 10 or 15 years ago, even garaged and turned "off." I suspect a marginal battery may be the cause of a lot of electronic woes posted here. We have continually charged/topped off our 2018 Q7s and previous X5ds, both power-hungry beasts, and never had any kind of battery issues or error flag pop up. Still getting familiar with the new BMW system, but if it indeed has dual batteries, it may even be that they are somehow mutually supportive, and charging one will help the other. The trickle chargers I have are rated for Li-Ion batteries as well as standard, so I'll get with our SA and see what they recommend. I noticed all the showroom Xs in our dealership were hooked up to tenders....
Appreciate 0