F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Ferry costs
proTUNING Freaks

07-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Ferry costs

Evening

Who uses the ferry / Eurotunnel?

I am trying to plan ahead for a holiday in Easter half term next year. Any half decent holiday / villa is sold out or wildly overpriced. So I thought actually, we have a nice motor, why don't we drive into Europe and do a few days in France / Holland etc.

But as far as I can see the ferry / Eurotunnel timetables aren't announced yet. My question for those in the know is do they jack up the prices as much as the airlines during school breaks?

I've already had to write to the school to explain about my important business meeting that means we have to leave a day early for our summer holiday next week, coincidently saving over £500.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 01:32 PM   #2
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B View Post
I've already had to write to the school to explain about my important business meeting that means we have to leave a day early for our summer holiday next week, coincidently saving over £500.
Nice that you take your kids to the important business meeting...

We always spend the Easter school holidays in Paris, but we fly with Air France or Easyjet. Neither the flights nor the apartment (AirBnB) tend to be particularly inflated for that period, but I guess we may be unusual in heading into a city for our holiday. We live in very rural place so city life is what we crave!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 02:35 PM   #3
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

To answer the Q yes they will jack up the prices..Just try and book as far ahead as you can once they release the timetables etc
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 02:52 PM   #4
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

We've been the last 3 summers in the school holidays. Crossed on a Friday morning about 7am and back on a Sunday lunchtime a couple of weeks later and usually costs me about £150 return.

This year we're going on the overnight ferry from Portsmouth to St Malo, but coming back via the tunnel. One way it's £86 on a Sunday afternoon. I usually book not long after the prices are released.

Alistair Sawday's is good for nice self catering or B and B if you're looking for places to stay as you drive around.

Last edited by Goneinsixtyseconds; 07-08-2019 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 04:53 PM   #5
rosstin
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i saloon

We've done Dover <> Calais the last two Easter weekends. Early Friday to late Monday. Has been circa £150 return iirc. Main advice is get out early, boat before 8am if you can to avoid the port/border control queues.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 04:46 AM   #6
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Thanks chaps, much appreciated - gives me a good steer on costs and timings. I can start to plan what we will do within Europe, knowing the costs on actually getting there.

Overnight our summer holiday next week hangs in the balance... child number 2 has found hand, foot and mouth. That's 7k of Greek sunshine hanging in the balance. (Yes, about to see whether I actually have any insurance that will cover it).
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 07:19 AM   #7
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B View Post
Thanks chaps, much appreciated - gives me a good steer on costs and timings. I can start to plan what we will do within Europe, knowing the costs on actually getting there.

Overnight our summer holiday next week hangs in the balance... child number 2 has found hand, foot and mouth. That's 7k of Greek sunshine hanging in the balance. (Yes, about to see whether I actually have any insurance that will cover it).
Sorry to hear about the little one. As its a child and he will be restricted from travelling, you should get a full refund less excess. Unless you didnt tell them the whole truth or had it as a preexisting condition that you forgot to inform them of....
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 09:00 AM   #8
Ridg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Given the whole brexit situation planning anything round the tunnel / port of dover is a bold move.

We always drive to the alps (Feb half term) we use the tunnel as it's quicker and more convenient, coming back you always spend about an hour waiting to get through passport control (expect this to be worse post brexit (the French will f**k us)).

The french love a holiday let so you should be able to find good prices, their feb half term and Easter holidays are staggered due to the amount of tourism the country gets at which point we've never found the prices inflated (using a british company will have inflated costs (as they know our term dates)).
Appreciate 0