BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-06-2019, 06:45 PM   #1
JDsX3
Photojournalist, Tech & Product Analyst
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, i4, Corvette Stingray

Smile New member, new owner, first impressions of X3

A brief background to provide perspective: I am a unapologetic car enthusiast and have owned over 40 cars ranging from classics like a 1969 MB 220s, a 1975 Rolls Royce Corniche DHC, to numerous sports cars including Porsches and my current Corvette Stingray, 2 Cadillacs that were the first ones manufactured of totally new models and first released off the production line to a private owner. I serve as admin/supermoderator on two car forums, and professionally photograph cars (among other things).

Last week I picked up my X3, built mid June 2019 (my last BMW was a 2002 Z3- a great car!). The car delights on every level. The body lines, fit and finish are very good. The ride on the 19" Pirelli Cinturato P7 run-flats is very comfortable and surprisingly quite in the cabin. The handling is crisper than expected.

We took it on a hundred plus mile trip up into the mountains today, so experienced it on the highway as well as twisties. I found the navigation system a snap to use with just 'normal' voice commands, and the nav voice very soothing as well as helpful. The adaptive cruise control, driving assistance plus packages worked, IMO, as well as Tesla's.

The 360 cameras surround view is among the best I have experienced. The Harman Kardon surround sound was very clean and good- though I really did not put it through serious testing yet.

The foot motion open of the rear trunk door is so easy to use (though, only after I read the manual since the dealer did not do it correctly).

I have not tested out the parking assist/active park distance control yet.

I will probably get 'her' CQuartz Finest.

That's it for now. More to come
Current:2024 i4 Mineral White Metallic with Blue Exterior Accents, Canberra Beige Perforated SensaTec, Premium Package, Driving Assistance Pro Package, Drive Recorder. 2019 X3 Mineral White Metallic, Caberra Beige interior with most options. Corvette Stingray Arctic White w red interior.
Past:2002 Z3, Corvette Stingray and about 40 other cars
Appreciate 4
chicagofan0019146.00
SROC31702.00
      07-06-2019, 07:10 PM   #2
DocWho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i, 2019 Z4 30i

Congratulations! I am 2 weeks into X3 ownership. I am CQuartzing on Monday. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 07:20 PM   #3
JDsX3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWho View Post
Congratulations! I am 2 weeks into X3 ownership. I am CQuartzing on Monday. Enjoy!
Thanks DocWho, I have one of my cars which was CQuartz Finest over 5 years ago, and other than a light wipe of ReLoad after washing, the car looks as brilliant as the day it was done.
Current:2024 i4 Mineral White Metallic with Blue Exterior Accents, Canberra Beige Perforated SensaTec, Premium Package, Driving Assistance Pro Package, Drive Recorder. 2019 X3 Mineral White Metallic, Caberra Beige interior with most options. Corvette Stingray Arctic White w red interior.

Last edited by JDsX3; 07-06-2019 at 09:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
DocWho86.50
      07-06-2019, 09:02 PM   #4
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Congrats and welcome! 👍🏻

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 09:07 PM   #5
JDsX3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Congrats and welcome! 👍🏻
Thank you chicagofan00!
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019146.00
      07-07-2019, 01:27 AM   #6
BuddhaTB
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
Congrats on the new BMW and Welcome to the X3 Family!
      07-07-2019, 01:58 AM   #7
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six Convert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 Mini JCW  [10.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Welcome 🙏 Look forward to some pics, especially as you know how to take them properly 😂
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 07:27 AM   #8
JDsX3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaTB View Post
Congrats on the new BMW and Welcome to the X3 Family!
Thank you BiddhaTB. Glad to be here.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 07:29 AM   #9
JDsX3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3M40i_Nev View Post
Welcome 🙏 Look forward to some pics, especially as you know how to take them properly 😂
Thanks. I have some photo shoot ideas planned when I get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #10
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsX3 View Post
A brief background to provide perspective: I am a unapologetic car enthusiast and have owned over 40 cars ranging from classics like a 1969 MB 220s, a 1975 Rolls Royce Corniche DHC, to numerous sports cars including Porsches and my current Corvette Stingray, 2 Cadillacs that were the first ones manufactured of totally new models and first released off the production line to a private owner. I serve as admin/supermoderator on two car forums, and professionally photograph cars (among other things).

Last week I picked up my X3, built mid June 2019 (my last BMW was a 2002 Z3- a great car!). The car delights on every level. The body lines, fit and finish are very good. The ride on the 19" Pirelli Cinturato P7 run-flats is very comfortable and surprisingly quite in the cabin. The handling is crisper than expected.

We took it on a hundred plus mile trip up into the mountains today, so experienced it on the highway as well as twisties. I found the navigation system a snap to use with just 'normal' voice commands, and the nav voice very soothing as well as helpful. The adaptive cruise control, driving assistance plus packages worked, IMO, as well as Tesla's.

The 360 cameras surround view is among the best I have experienced. The Harman Kardon surround sound was very clean and good- though I really did not put it through serious testing yet.

The foot motion open of the rear trunk door is so easy to use (though, only after I read the manual since the dealer did not do it correctly).

Awesome man welcome to the family!!! I actually just moved to Vegas (from Los Angeles) on June 29th....LOVING it so far! Message me if you want to meet up sometime. Love to check out your X3 man
      07-08-2019, 02:49 PM   #11
JDsX3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
Awesome man welcome to the family!!! I actually just moved to Vegas (from Los Angeles) on June 29th....LOVING it so far! Message me if you want to meet up sometime. Love to check out your X3 man
Will do. Been in Vegas for 14+ years and love it.
Appreciate 1
SROC31702.00
      07-08-2019, 05:23 PM   #12
tatafreeman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i Xdrive

Congratulations on the new X3! i've had mine almost 3 months, and love most everything about it. I also got the C coating, and it seems to make the metallic in the Phytonic Blue really pop. I wash it with pride every time.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 05:26 PM   #13
JDsX3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatafreeman View Post
Congratulations on the new X3! i've had mine almost 3 months, and love most everything about it. I also got the C coating, and it seems to make the metallic in the Phytonic Blue really pop. I wash it with pride every time.
Thanks. Have you posted some images of your Phytonic Blue X3?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 01:48 AM   #14
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita

Quote:

I'm glad you got this model. Knowing you had so many options to choose from many different cars you owned. ( must be some millionaire lol) is glad I got the 3rd generation as the 2nd is great too but just seems like the third has more technology involved and curves on the outside. I do wish I got 360 camera . I'll remember this for next ride . Since your photographer give us some good photos
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #15
JDsX3
Rep

Thanks nakamuru! The 360 degree camera system is very useful. I particularly like being able to see the curb in front and the sides of the X3 when pulling in or out of a parking spot; takes the guessing out of how close you are and if you are fully clear of it before turning the wheel.

Most certainly will post photographs of my X3 on a shoot, but it will be a while. Things are quite busy right now. In the interim, you can click on my screen name and visit my homepage for examples of my photography. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #16
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita

Quote:
Thanks nakamuru! The 360 degree camera system is very useful. I particularly like being able to see the curb in front and the sides of the X3 when pulling in or out of a parking spot; takes the guessing out of how close you are and if you are fully clear of it before turning the wheel.

Most certainly will post photographs of my X3 on a shoot, but it will be a while. Things are quite busy right now. In the interim, you can click on my screen name and visit my homepage for examples of my photography. Cheers.
That's great you can start a thread with your professional photos. This will inspire us to keep our cars clean lol
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 03:30 AM   #17
Eulenspiegel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i; 1994 E34 530i

Quote:
The 360 degree camera system is very useful. I particularly like being able to see the curb in front and the sides of the X3 when pulling in or out of a parking spot; takes the guessing out of how close you are and if you are fully clear of it before turning the wheel.
If BMW had any sense or appreciation of what buyers might be looking for, they could include at least a reference to the full description of what various features actually do (that are different than how things otherwise work). I find the view for parking obstructions completely inadequate without this feature, which I didn't know how much I would miss by not having it when I avoided self-parking and trace backup, for example).
1999 E39 540i
2011 F25 X3 XDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 09:01 PM   #18
tatafreeman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i Xdrive

Quote:
Thanks. Have you posted some images of your Phytonic Blue X3?
No. I have yet to take a photo of the new car. I must admit, after washing the blue really looks good, with the glasscoat the paint seems to have a sheen that reflects things in it with great clarity. Every time I clean it I appreciate that aspect.
Appreciate 0