BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-06-2019, 01:30 PM   #1
Kingfisher
Rep
Drives: 2018 x3

First mishap...makes me sick, body guys advice

Went to see the my kids today and pulled in and didn't see a wheelbarrel turned upside down...this is the result. Totally my fault. What do you guys think will be the repair route that a body shop or dealer will do on this one?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 06:15 PM   #2
Tenacious X
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i

They will repair/finish the bumper & replace the trim piece underneath, the damage looks minor.

I was just in a fender bender myself albeit a bit worse than yours. I had some damage to the front bumper & associated driving assistance doodads. No sheet metal or lighting damage just isolated to the bumper itself & it doesn't really look that bad and is drive able.

The initial repair estimate was $8.5K . $1.1K for a new bumper cover and $3.8K for the radar sensor alone.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 10:37 AM   #3
Crypto2k3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious X View Post
They will repair/finish the bumper & replace the trim piece underneath, the damage looks minor.

I was just in a fender bender myself albeit a bit worse than yours. I had some damage to the front bumper & associated driving assistance doodads. No sheet metal or lighting damage just isolated to the bumper itself & it doesn't really look that bad and is drive able.

The initial repair estimate was $8.5K . $1.1K for a new bumper cover and $3.8K for the radar sensor alone.
Ouch, that's crazy! Sorry to hear this!

The problem when things are laced with the latest tech.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
Kingfisher
Rep

OP here, well took it to dealer and she says whole bumper has to be replaced due to lane departure transmitter inside the bumper where it was scratched....$2700!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #5
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
OP here, well took it to dealer and she says whole bumper has to be replaced due to lane departure transmitter inside the bumper where it was scratched....$2700!
Does the lane departure feature work? If so, try another body shop.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 08:22 PM   #6
Tenacious X
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
I would be very skeptical of the estimate. It sounds like they just want more $$$ from you and are seeing what they can get away with.

Think about it for a second.... For one, the manufacturer designs the vehicles so the electronic components can be replaced in the event of a failure. I highly doubt they would mount a sensor/transmitter in such a way that it is permanently affixed to the bumper cover itself. I would bet money its mounted to some intermediate bracket for removal to make repairs easier. For two, Its a small gouge/scratch that can be refinished & blended, its not that bad even though we may think so at first

As I mentioned earlier my entire bumper cover is being replaced & that's only because its cracked and missing a small section and there is no extra $$$ for new side sensors. They are reinstalling what is not damaged and replacing whats actually broken.

If that was me I would call out the person who gave the estimate and make them fully explain what their logic is. Then I would go find someone else just because I would no longer trust them. But that's just me
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #7
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Many lane departure systems work with the downward-facing cameras under the side view mirrors. Does the BMW system work this way? In other words, unrelated to the front bumper or fascia?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 09:51 PM   #8
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita

Quote:
Went to see the my kids today and pulled in and didn't see a wheelbarrel turned upside down...this is the result. Totally my fault. What do you guys think will be the repair route that a body shop or dealer will do on this one?
When you pulled in, didn't the sensor start chiming really bad?
I posted about how the x3 nose / front is longer then most compact suvs and parking or doing tight turns is quite challenging .. And i rely on the sensor .. I don't care if car is in front or back of me honking.. Just need to glide by safely.

I notice also the sensor doesn't seem to activate when your just like going certain speed it seems. So i always stop then do quick reverse (but not actually reverse) then drive forward and the sensor picks up.

Anyways, that's kind of what I'm trying to avoid of what you experienced. Good luck bro.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 10:07 PM   #9
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
That's BS...don't repair with that shop! There is nothing behind that area of the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 08:09 AM   #10
Kingfisher
Rep

OP here, well finally came to my senses over this scratch. I am not spending $1k deductible and $2700 total for a new bumper when upon further examination it is really just 3 scratches.
I live literally within 5 minutes from the largest auto auction site on the east coast...Manheim Auto auction and there are many 6-10 auto body/recon stores within close proximity to the auction and will just take it to one of these guys and see what they can do or recommend to cover up/paint over the scratches.
I can live with this for another year, was going to trade in next summer anyway for another X3M.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 10:38 PM   #11
Replicant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Personally if it doesn’t mechanically effect a car, I just live with it. The hit you take when you eventually trade it in is far less than it will cost you to repair it. I look it as one less worry. The last two cars I have traded in have had some body damage that would definitely take some work to be prepped for resale on the lot. No one has really ever mentioned it, maybe $500 less on trade...they get it done wholesale, costs the dealership very little, and they want the sale.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 11:44 PM   #12
SteveX3M40i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40MSport

Quote:
Hi,
There is a sticky thread here that gives the dealer training documentation when the current X3 was launched.
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1563521
If you download and checkout the Driver Assistance Systems document - that shows the location and function of all the sensors. They are sensors marked 5 in the image below.
There is a radar sensor on each side of the front bumper - but they are much higher than your damaged area!
Name:  97148240-0958-45A7-8076-54DC26CF44E4.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  123.4 KB
Cheers
Steve

2019 X3M40i - gone!
2023 iX40MSport
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 10:22 AM   #13
Kingfisher
Rep

Thanks for all the replies. I did a small coverup paint job myself and I can live with it till next spring/summer. I'll take a hit on tradein but not $2700.
On a side note....when I was waiting for bmw collision quote the other day they asked if i bought the car from them. I didn't, but she did say if i had then they would pay the deductible, which in my case is $1k. I called dealer purchased from and they don't pay deductible. it is certainly something to think about next time i purchase or when one of you guys are shopping for new X3s
Appreciate 0