BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-06-2019, 02:51 AM   #1
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita

Disc brakes look rusty is this normal ?

Is it normal that the disc brakes the circle thing (lol) looks rusty all around (full coverage) while others ones have rusty spots etc. if it's normal I'll take pic and upload but if it is then why does have rust seems somethings wrong
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 04:09 AM   #2
BatMeoW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 x30i

I have noticed that after the car wash, the discs are rusty all around but only after a short drive, these return back to normal (shiny) appearance. I was concerned when I saw the rust for the first time but haven't been since.
Appreciate 1
nakamuru136.50
      07-06-2019, 04:25 AM   #3
xswesx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m1

man some of the things i read on this forum make me chuckle
Appreciate 2
mitford10.50
j1980mac262.50
      07-06-2019, 08:52 AM   #4
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
I found this photo from elsewhere on the internet, showing what "bad" rotor rust looks like, basically interfering with the shiny surface area. This happens when a rotor sits for months and rusts, and the surface of the rotor gets deep rust scars that don't get contact with the pad while braking.

[IMG]https://i.stack.imgur.com/MZZLS.jpg[/IMG]

Otherwise, wet rotors can build up a superficial rust literally overnight simply because they're mostly iron. Totally normal and wipes off immediately with use.

Rust is a function of material, humidity, and temperature. Don't worry about spots vs film if the brakes are getting used every day, it's going to vary based on the water in the air or contact water and these other things on any given day.

Only pay attention to what the rotors look like immediately after use. If they show pitting with valleys of rust like the photo above then they may need to be replaced.
Appreciate 1
nakamuru136.50
      07-06-2019, 09:50 AM   #5
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
I found this photo from elsewhere on the internet, showing what "bad" rotor rust looks like, basically interfering with the shiny surface area. This happens when a rotor sits for months and rusts, and the surface of the rotor gets deep rust scars that don't get contact with the pad while braking.

Otherwise, wet rotors can build up a superficial rust literally overnight simply because they're mostly iron. Totally normal and wipes off immediately with use.

Rust is a function of material, humidity, and temperature. Don't worry about spots vs film if the brakes are getting used every day, it's going to vary based on the water in the air or contact water and these other things on any given day.

Only pay attention to what the rotors look like immediately after use. If they show pitting with valleys of rust like the photo above then they may need to be replaced.
So if I don't use my car much and garaged will rust be more permanent?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 10:03 AM   #6
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Completely normal
Appreciate 1
nakamuru136.50
      07-06-2019, 05:21 PM   #7
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
Quote:

So if I don't use my car much and garaged will rust be more permanent?
If you leave your car in wet conditions for months or years at a time without any use, then yes, you can get pitting as shown above.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 05:35 PM   #8
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you leave your car in wet conditions for months or years at a time without any use, then yes, you can get pitting as shown above.
that won't happen as I'll be driving my work car and then the x3 on weekends, hikes, camping etc.. so that should be ok right. Seattle rains a lot so at most i'll be leaving it around 7 days
Appreciate 0