BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #1
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 x3 M40i

Garage List
x3 alignment question

So, my front tires are almost toast due to the corners being really worn on the outside. center tread is plenty and the rear tires have ample tread left at ~14k miles. a while ago my dealer did the oil change and convinced me to do the alignment to stave off exactly what is happening now as it was beginning to show at that point. Well they either didn't do it, or the stock spec isn't good enough as it has gotten worse and I need to consider new rubber soon.

Dealer wont do anything as they said its impossible to keep the alignment in check forever and they do not warranty the service. I called a local shop and they said they couldn't do it, or rather they could do the mechanicals but there is apparently coding required or some electronic adjustments that must be done. First I've heard of this on the X3, so does anyone have insight to if I can just go anywhere and get it done right or if I DO have to keep with the dealer and sit on them till its right? it looks like I just need less camber or maybe a touch of toe adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
culebracut
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30i

The x3 needs a special order part for camber adjustment if it’s outside a certain range. A knuckle with something like a half degree bias can be installed. BMW does not give the tech a way to tweek camber otherwise is my understanding.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 07:18 PM   #3
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

See this thread: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1334213

I assume your tires are properly inflated, as underinflation can cause what you're seeing. Depending upon how one drives, some people have had tires last only 15-20K miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 08:09 PM   #4
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

A good alignment shop should be able to align the car. Coding, hmm....news to me; not required on my older F25; seems odd to 'code' unless car has some electronic sensors on the suspension.

The only readily available mechanical adjustment (I.e. no add'l parts) on the front of Bimmers is toe; incorrect toe will cause the issue you've seen on outer tire edges. My guess is the camber is within spec but obviously shop can check / verify values.

I've never owned a new BMW, so no experience with Dealers

Good luck /Bill
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 01:44 AM   #5
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

Does your car have lane keeping assist?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 08:57 AM   #6
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torinalth View Post
So, my front tires are almost toast due to the corners being really worn on the outside. center tread is plenty and the rear tires have ample tread left at ~14k miles. a while ago my dealer did the oil change and convinced me to do the alignment to stave off exactly what is happening now as it was beginning to show at that point. Well they either didn't do it, or the stock spec isn't good enough as it has gotten worse and I need to consider new rubber soon.

Dealer wont do anything as they said its impossible to keep the alignment in check forever and they do not warranty the service. I called a local shop and they said they couldn't do it, or rather they could do the mechanicals but there is apparently coding required or some electronic adjustments that must be done. First I've heard of this on the X3, so does anyone have insight to if I can just go anywhere and get it done right or if I DO have to keep with the dealer and sit on them till its right? it looks like I just need less camber or maybe a touch of toe adjustment.
Are the tyres worn on both the outer and inner edges? If so it's more likely that the tyres have been under inflated, especially if they're run flats.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 09:06 AM   #7
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
My tires are the same, they're not due for replacement yet, I'm at about half your mileage, but I can tell the front are worn a bit more on the outside only.

I thought this was normal, from the front tires taking the brunt of the pressure on the outside during cornering, and part of why tires are rotated. However, with my tires and staggered setup I can't rotate. Maybe there isn't enough camber tuned in to compensate.

I usually don't get more than 20-25k out of a good tire anyway, the same compounds that remain soft in cold weather tires or for performance tires don't also usually last 30k+. When I have been able to rotate I can stretch to three years between sets, otherwise it's usually two years between sets.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 11:06 AM   #8
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Location: Milky Way, Earth, North America, Arizona more specifically.

Funny I have the SAME issue as op, at 15K miles and the front tires are worn on the outside, as well as the inside shoulders. The rears are wearing perfectly flat and may have another 10K on them.
Usually a sign of underinflation on the front wear yes, but I’ve kept mine at around 42 psi the whole time. Was going to take it into the dealer before I get new tires and have them zero the toe on the front. Some rear toe in is what you want anyway, and minimal to no front toe.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 11:36 AM   #9
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllwwgn View Post
Funny I have the SAME issue as op, at 15K miles and the front tires are worn on the outside, as well as the inside shoulders. The rears are wearing perfectly flat and may have another 10K on them.
Usually a sign of underinflation on the front wear yes, but I’ve kept mine at around 42 psi the whole time. Was going to take it into the dealer before I get new tires and have them zero the toe on the front. Some rear toe in is what you want anyway, and minimal to no front toe.
Definitely not under inflation in your case then, 2.9 bar is very high!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 04:55 PM   #10
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
Does your car have lane keeping assist?
yes, but I can't see how that would be affected by the alignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Are the tyres worn on both the outer and inner edges? If so it's more likely that the tyres have been under inflated, especially if they're run flats.
just outer edge, inner is like the rest of the tire. I'm slightly overinflating them for the time being to try and get more central wear and potentially prevent the tire from rolling over more and taking more off the edge
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #11
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
See this thread: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1334213

I assume your tires are properly inflated, as underinflation can cause what you're seeing. Depending upon how one drives, some people have had tires last only 15-20K miles.
actually went through that thread again and found that one image a few pots down of what causes what, based on the representation it would be toe, not camber in my case, which was apparently adjusted by the dealer when they did the alignment.
Appreciate 0