ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-11-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 + '07 ///M Roadster

How can I tell if the Dealer loaded my Dinan software?

I recently had the local BMW dealer install the S1 Dinan package on my car.. One thing bothers me... I guess because I can't see it.... That deals with the software upgrade... is there a way for me to tell if it's there? Thanks Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck I View Post
I recently had the local BMW dealer install the S1 Dinan package on my car.. One thing bothers me... I guess because I can't see it.... That deals with the software upgrade... is there a way for me to tell if it's there? Thanks Chuck I
ummmm...isnt your car substancially quicker???
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 01:26 AM   #3
goldguilexx
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: mini

yeah, i think unless you boght the car new and did not drive it prior to the install of the s1 pakage, you should feel a bit of an extra umph! if not then i guess just get take it to a dyno. (oh and shiggy, off topic but did you know that sig of yours, the "chick" is a guy? lol! i was shocked myself)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 07:00 AM   #4
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, you know, the gains you get are minimal... and sometimes preception is reality... To answer the question, yes it seems faster... but that could be because I want it to be faster...... I would like to be able to go in and get a readout of the software to make sure it's Dinan's software... After spending the money, I'd like to see something other than "air"... I'm going to call Dinan this morning to see if they can give me a hint... I know some in some cars you can get data from the odometer... tnx
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #5
jarrow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2004 z4 3.0i  [2.00]
According to the Dinan description, the rev limiter is moved up by 240 rpms and the the top speed limiter is removed. So rev the engine and see where the rev limiter kicks in.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #6
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

GUESS WHAT!!! No Dinan Software loaded...

I figured as much... I talked to Dinan and they said they show no software was down loaded by the dealer for my car. Their MIP records confirmed it... When you put the analizer on the car, the BMW software is supposed to be on the left and the Dinan software is supposed to show up on the right... Called the Dealer and am now scheduled to go in next Wednesday to have it down loaded... Good Grief...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #7
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
I figured as much... I talked to Dinan and they said they show no software was down loaded by the dealer for my car. Their MIP records confirmed it... When you put the analizer on the car, the BMW software is supposed to be on the left and the Dinan software is supposed to show up on the right... Called the Dealer and am now scheduled to go in next Wednesday to have it down loaded... Good Grief...
WTF? That is fraudulant! I would be so pissed.
      08-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Alpine M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver/Red Z4MC

What kind of explanation did they give you for lying to you?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 02:19 PM   #9
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No explaination...

They gave no explaination... this whole thing has been screwed up from the begining... First, I ordered the entire S1 Dinan package from the Dealer. When I took it in, they had it two days. When I went to pick it up, it didn't have the exhaust on it... They said it didn't come in the package... Then they "found it" in the parts department. So, I went back to get the car the next day and they had run it up on something and damaged my brand new Aero front bumper... They paid over $300 to fix that. Then I had to take it back because the rear springs were incorrect (Dinan issue). They replaced the springs 3 times before they got it correct... But, during one of the visits to replace the springs, they again ran my car up on something and had to pay again to repair the front bumper... They gave me a free rear spoiler for my car to make me feel better.. Now, there's the issue with the Software not being loaded... to be honest, I was so focused on the other issues (springs & bumper) I didn't pick up on the software... I noticed a difference in performance, but that is probably due to air intake system.. Then I noticed it rev limited at the same place as before.... That's how I got here.... I thought I would never have to go back.... but it looks like I have to take my car back in to the jaws of this monster again... The reason I have to go to them is because they're the only Dinan rep in the area.. I've also discussed this with Dinan...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 03:22 PM   #10
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

When I had my Dinan software installed on my M5 I got a white semi circle sticker placed on the drivers side door frame by the hinge that says it has Dinan software, and not to reflash it. The throttle response is a lot smoother and I watched the guy do it, so I know it got installed.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #11
lazoh
BMW Freak!!
Rep
Drives: M Roadster

Quote:
They gave no explaination... this whole thing has been screwed up from the begining... First, I ordered the entire S1 Dinan package from the Dealer. When I took it in, they had it two days. When I went to pick it up, it didn't have the exhaust on it... They said it didn't come in the package... Then they "found it" in the parts department. So, I went back to get the car the next day and they had run it up on something and damaged my brand new Aero front bumper... They paid over $300 to fix that. Then I had to take it back because the rear springs were incorrect (Dinan issue). They replaced the springs 3 times before they got it correct... But, during one of the visits to replace the springs, they again ran my car up on something and had to pay again to repair the front bumper... They gave me a free rear spoiler for my car to make me feel better.. Now, there's the issue with the Software not being loaded... to be honest, I was so focused on the other issues (springs & bumper) I didn't pick up on the software... I noticed a difference in performance, but that is probably due to air intake system.. Then I noticed it rev limited at the same place as before.... That's how I got here.... I thought I would never have to go back.... but it looks like I have to take my car back in to the jaws of this monster again... The reason I have to go to them is because they're the only Dinan rep in the area.. I've also discussed this with Dinan...

Did you get it done yet? And if so, did you feel the difference and lastly, how much did you spend?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #12
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Make sure BMW NA gets all of this information. This dealer needs to go.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 08:40 PM   #13
goldguilexx
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: mini

wow, what a nightmare!! and who the hell was driving your car into things? i think even teenage valets drives better than that......well nut by much but still!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 09:08 PM   #14
Z FORE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 Convertible

I guess I better call Dinan and make sure they show the software download for my car. I bought it with the package already installed by the BMW Store in Ohio.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #15
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Software installed today...

Boy, what a difference... There is no mistaking the torque... I love it.. I bet I wasted 5 gallons of gas this afternoon... On the subject of the dealer, they have one Adviser now assigned to drive my car... I don't even go in the service entrance... BUT... after today, I won't go back... the only reason I went there was because they were on only Dinan rep in town... In the end, it took me 6 trips, 3 sets of rear springs, two front bumper repairs and a lot of frustration to get this done... Not to mention the $7K... If I had to do it over... NO WAY... Chuck I
Appreciate 0