BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-03-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Cayenne Turbo instead of M40i?

So.. I totaled my 2019 X3 M40i (well appointed) March 30. In May, when Geico finally decided to total X3, I ordered new X3 ..which cancelled two days later after learning about new seats, extended leather and other MY2020 updates.

Building a deck this summer and my little M Roadster is practically useless for Home Depot runs. I had the brilliant idea that I could buy a used Cayenne Turbo on the cheap. Car that stickered in 2013 for $128k hoping to get for $35k today (with 60k miles). Flew out to DC to test drive, buy and drive it home to MN.

My thought was that I might love it and keep it for 2-3 years until LCI is release. Or keep it 3 months and give to wife as she might love it.. or I sell it in 3 months for close to what I paid for it.

I was very disappointed with my Porsche Cayenne Turbo driving experience.

1. Car is 4" longer.. but felt 2 feet longer.

2. Car 400 lbs heavier, but it felt like 1,200 pounds heavier.

3. Air suspension was strange. Fairly comfortable, but I didn't think sporty. Steering and adjustable M Suspension on M40i is far superior - IMHO.

4. Screen resolution (both screens) pretty bad. Figures given 6 year difference, but still, almost a $130k car. And they had good screens in 2013 available.

5. Some tech was newer.. but failed. The Cayenne I drove had auto cruise control. While driving, a guy next to and slightly ahead of me drifted 6" into my lane, Cayenne hit it's own breaks. That sucked. I wasn't even using the cruise control. Tech too premature.

6. Exhaust was loud. Almost obnoxious. Guess Porsche doesn't want you to forget you have a 4.8L twin turbo V8 under the hood.

7. Acceleration was good. Numbers say it should be faster than the X3 M40i, but it didn't feel that way. Perhaps the numbing air suspension or disconnected steering is to blame.

8. Transmission sucked. Well.. that's a bit strong. The Porsche 8 spd auto transmission pales compared to the excellent ZF 8HP. Shift were slow(er). Certain amount of hunting. Never really felt like I was in the best gear. I've been extremely impressed the BMW's take on the 8HP - both with the coast function along with the sport lockup of the torque converter so it feels like a manual (sport or sport+ mode).

9. Mileage is abysmal.. prolly 17mpg for me. I knew this going in, but for an excellent car, I decided I could tolerate it.

All in all; I was left with no desire for a Cayenne Turbo.. or any Porsche. Sad since I have wanted one since I was 17. I think the BMW M2 is the bomb for fun rides.

The experience brought a whole new appreciation of the marvelous and excellent BMW X3 M40i. The silky smooth, powerful I6 coupled with a world class transmission topped with excellent technology and creature comforts make it a very special vehicle. I might be tempted for an X3M, but until they include a trailer option, I'm not interested.

Last edited by sinbad4; 07-03-2019 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 3
      07-03-2019, 11:33 PM   #2
Tiss'er
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LBB LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
So.. totaled my 2019 X3 M40i (well appointed) March 30. In May, when they finally decided to total X3, I ordered new X3 and cancelled two days later after learning about new seats, extended leather and other MY2020 updates.

Building a deck and my little M Roadster is practically useless for Home Depot runs. I had this brilliant idea that I could buy a used Cayenne Turbo on the cheap. Car that stickered in 2013 for $128k hoping to get for $35k today (with 60k miles). Few out to DC to test drive and drive it home to MN.

My thought was that I might love it and keep it for 2-3 years until LCI is release. Or keep it 3 months and give to wife as she might love it.. or I sell it in 3 months for close to what I paid for it.

I was so very disappointed with my Porsche Cayenne Turbo driving experience.

1. Car is 4" longer.. but felt 2 feet longer.

2. Car 400 lbs heavier, but it felt like 1,200 pounds heavier.

3. Air suspension was strange. Fairly comfortable, but I didn't think sporty. Steering and adjustable M Suspension on M40i is far superior - IMHO.

4. Screen resolution (both screens) pretty bad. Figures given 6 year difference, but still, almost a $130k car. And they had good screens in 2013 available.

5. Some tech was newer.. but failed. Unit I drove had auto cruise control. But while driving, guy next to and slightly ahead of me drifted 6" into my lane, Cayenne hit it's own breaks. That sucked. I wasn't even using the cruise control. Tech too premature.

6. Exhaust was loud. Almost obnoxious. Guess they don't want you to forget you have a 4.8L twin turbo V8 under the hood.

7. Acceleration was good. Number say it should be faster than the X3 M40i, but it didn't feel that way. Perhaps the numbing air suspension or disconnected steering to blame.

8. Transmission sucked. Well.. that's a bit strong. It paled compared to the excellent ZF 8HP. Shift were slow(er). Certain amount of hunting. I've been extremely impressed the BMW's take on the 8HP - both with the coast function along with the sport lockup of the torque converter so it feels like a manual (sport or sport+ mode).

9. Mileage is abysmal.. prolly 17mpg for me. I knew this going in, but for an excellent car, I decided I could tolerate it.

All in all; I was left with no desire for a Cayenne Turbo.. or any Porsche. Sad since I have wanted one since I was 17. I think the BMW M2 is the bomb for fun rides.

The experience brought a whole new appreciation of the marvelous and excellent BMW X3 M40i. The silky smooth, powerful I6 coupled with a world class transmission topped with excellent technology and creature comforts make it a very special vehicle.
Interesting, it's not often someone criticizes a Porsche. My sister had a Turbo around 2014 or so and loved it. But, tech has come a long way in a few years.

We recently bought my wife a 2019 X3 M40i and can honestly say we love it. We tested everything, Macan S, Macan Turbo, GLC 43 AMG, GLA 45 AMG, F-Pace, Edge ST, SQ5 and an Acura RDX. Though the Macan wins the beauty contest in our book, it didn't win anywhere else. It felt slower, more dull and didn't have the tech of the BMW. The GLC felt slower and more numb and just wasn't exciting. The Jag felt boring and the tech was dated. The Acura had no power. We also tested a XC60 hybrid. Though it had 400HP it too was boring. These reviews are the reviews of my wife .

We recently returned from a 1600 mile journey through the mountains of western Colorado and I can honestly say the X3 is a brilliant SAV. Our trip was primarily through the twisties. Normally a trip like this would be ripe for my M2 but since we just bought the X3 we decided to give it a go. I can honestly say I really didn't miss the M2 and appreciated the extra comfort of the X3. IMO BMW is killing it right now. I think they have the best products on the market. The GLC creaked like crazy, yet my M2 and the X3 are dead silent. I feel that BMW is stepping up their game and they know they need to. Absolutely love what BMW is doing. FYI I'm no fan boi. I really wanted my wife to
Like the Macan. At the end of the day I think she made the right decision.
Appreciate 1
sinbad4782.50
      07-03-2019, 11:47 PM   #3
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiss'er View Post
We recently bought my wife a 2019 X3 M40i and can honestly say we love it. We tested everything, Macan S, Macan Turbo, GLC 43 AMG, GLA 45 AMG, F-Pace, Edge ST, SQ5 and an Acura RDX. Though the Macan wins the beauty contest in our book, it didn't win anywhere else. It felt slower, more dull and didn't have the tech of the BMW. The GLC felt slower and more numb and just wasn't exciting. The Jag felt boring and the tech was dated. The Acura had no power. We also tested a XC60 hybrid. Though it had 400HP it too was boring. These reviews are the reviews of my wife .
I agree on all points. I've driven most of the same cars. I have not driven the Macan but agree it's the best looking of the bunch. The three knocks I have against it are: 1) It's a bit small.. more like a sedan. We have a sedan and looking for something that can haul stuff occasionally. 2) Price! Similarly optioned to the loaded M40i I had for $69K MSRP, the Macan runs $118k. 3) V6. I am a huge I6 fan. HUGE.

Add to the list the iPace. Drive was ok, but screens looked like old version of Android and they performed slow.

My current #2 choice would be Tesla 3. They just software updated and, with perf pack, it's running 3.2s 0-60. Lack of real leather seats, decent HUD and trailer hitch (and it's a sedan) keep the X3 M40i in a solid lead.

Stelvio Quadrifoglio is close, but spendy, v6, lower tech and I get panicky thinking about maintenance and repairs.
      07-04-2019, 06:38 AM   #4
Tiss'er
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LBB LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiss'er View Post
I agree on all points. I've driven most of the same cars. I have not driven the Macan but agree it's the best looking of the bunch. The three knocks I have against it are: 1) It's a bit small.. more like a sedan. We have a sedan and looking for something that can haul stuff occasionally. 2) Price! Similarly optioned to the loaded M40i I had for $69K MSRP, the Macan runs $118k. 3) V6. I am a huge I6 fan. HUGE.

Add to the list the iPace. Drive was ok, but screens looked like old version of Android and they performed slow.

My current #2 choice would be Tesla 3. They just software updated and, with perf pack, it's running 3.2s 0-60. Lack of real leather seats, decent HUD and trailer hitch (and it's a sedan) keep the X3 M40i in a solid lead.

Stelvio Quadrifoglio is close, but spendy, v6, lower tech and I get panicky thinking about maintenance and repairs.
Good point on the Macan pricing. With similar specs it is outrageous.

The great thing about this car purchase adventure is that it was completely driven by my wife. I was there for support and to answer questions. Before we even drove the Macan, which is the first Porsche I had ever driven, it was secretly my choice because...well Porsche. After the test drive I was a bit let down by the tech and motor. Not to mention on the current gen Macan S and GTS they are having significant issues with the timing chain cover leaking and the transfer case needs to be replaced quite often. The 2019 Macan engine is a different so the timing chain cover may no longer be an issue. When we tested the Volvo she said it too was boring. It was too quiet and didn't have that growl that the X3 has. My wife has really come around to liking performance cars and I giggle a bit inside when she talks about how she loves to stand outside of the car and listen to the cold starts .

I too really appreciate BMWs ability to build a solid I6. Both my M2 and X3 sound great, run smooth, and have great power everywhere in the rev range. Not to mention the weight distribution advantage. I'm certainly not a BMW fan boi...but I am becoming one. BMW seems to be releasing home runs cars right now. I'll be curious to see how the competition stacks up in a few years when their model lines are refreshed.
Appreciate 1
sinbad4782.50
      07-04-2019, 07:38 AM   #5
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

I don't know about the most recent gen Cayenne, but the first two were dogs imo (and I'm a huge P-car fan and 911 driver). I have friends that owned GTS's and Turbos. Both models were incredibly uncomfortable and felt huge to drive.

I do love the Macan, but agree with other that it's waaaay overpriced. I get the price-point on a 911 and would/will easily pay its premium over a car like the 850, but there's nothing that particularly differentiates a Macan and an X3.

Which brings me to this point . . . I'm about to pull the trigger on a MY20 X4 M40i (X4 over X3 simply because of the availability of an upgraded interior). But before I do, I want to make sure that I at least consider comparable vehicles - and I'm not really finding one, at least at the X3/4's price point. The Merc, Jag and LR are all more expensive. The SQ5 is priced about the same, but it's not quite as much of a driver's car and it's due for a facelift shortly. So when the heck did BMW become a price point leader??

Last edited by hinckley; 07-04-2019 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0